Former abecedarian CC tutor (iijuan12), former history teacher, & currently a Christian homeschooling mama of 9 blessings
This is the plan I used for a Classical Conversations Cycle 3 Week 20 abecedarian class. I have included all the subjects including new grammar, fine arts, presentations, science, and review game. I also added my weekly parent email. This is not an official tutor plan. It's simply what I did. I'm sharing it so other tutors can use it as a springboard from which to plan your own lessons that are tailored to best meet the needs of your own class.
(Class set of trivium maps, dry erase markers, and small pieces of paper towels will already be at each seat.)
• Blob mapping:
-Have the children use their dry erase markers to quickly trace around the borders of the continents and then erase them.
-Have the children put the caps on their markers and lay them down.
• Point out the canals on my map one by one. (I say, “Eyes and pointer fingers up” each time before I introduce the next location.) Each time have the children find the location on their maps using their fingers. They say the location, and I confirm, “Yes, that is…”. Repeat.
• Show me/Tell me the locations using a dry erase marker.
-Show me where the Erie Canal is. Put a line on it.
-Show me where the Pennsylvania Canal is. Put a line on it.
-Show me where the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal is. Put a line on it.
-Show me where the Ohio and Erie Canal is. Put a line on it.
-Show me where the Miami and Erie Canal is. Put a line on it.
-Tell me which canal this is. It's the Miam… (Yes, the Miami and Erie Canal.) Put a line on it.
-Tell me which canal this is. It's the Ohi… (Yes, the Ohio and Erie Canal.) Put a line on it.
-Tell me which canal this is. It's the Chesa… (Yes, the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal.) Put a line on it.
-Tell me which canal this is. It's the Pennsyl… (Yes, the Pennsylvania Canal.) Put a line on it.
-Tell me which canal this is. It's the Er… (Yes, the Erie Canal.) Put a line on it.
-Put the caps back on the markers, but don’t erase anything yet!
• Go through the locations with me while erasing locations one by one. (Do them out of order.)
***Parent Helper: Collect markers and maps and return to tutor bag. Throw away paper towel pieces.
(*At home we’ll be learning the locations using the song and motions by CC Happy Mom.)
- Sing the Latin sentence while the children listen. (Our community will be using the song by King Things - Ross King.)
- Children sing it with me.
- Children jump back and forth over a line (masking tape on the floor) as we sing the song together five times.
• I sing to the tune of Ring Around the Rosie while the children listen.
Ring-a-round the rosie === The circumference of a circle
A pocket full of posies, === equals two times pi
Ashes! Ashes! === (3.14)
We all fall down == times the radius.
• The children sing it with me twice.
• Sing while doing Ring Around the Rosie actions (holding hands, walking in a circle, & then falling down at the end). Repeat 3 more times.
- I chant while the children listen. We included 3 motions: For the question, we held up both my hands like we were asking a question. Then we reached straight up with both arms to point to the heavens, slowly lowering them as we sung the Bible verse. We showed our hands with arms extended as we sang the word "hands."
- The children chant and do the motions with me.
- Vary who says it: Children say it with me. Right table says it. Left table says it. Girls say it. Boys say it. Everyone says it. (*Everyone does the motions whether or not they are the ones saying the sentence.)
(*At home we’ll be learning the science sentence using the tune by The Home Video Variety Show, posted below.)
- Flash the cards, while singing card titles 1, 2, & 3, then 1-4 card titles, then 1-5 card titles, and 1-6 card titles.
- While singing and flipping through the final time (doing all 7 cards), pass one out to each child.
- Have them bring up their timeline card one by one and put it on the board as we sing the song together.
- I chant while children listen.
- Speed Chants: Children say it with me really slowly. Say it slowly. Say it regular speed. Say it fast. Say it super fast. Say it super duper silly fast.
(*At home we’ll be learning the English sentence using the tune The Farmer in the Dell as demonstrated by TwoFish, posted below.)
- I sing while the children listen.
- The children sing it with me.
- Repeat 5 more times with motions using a quiet voice, medium voice, loud voice, super loud voice, & regular voice.
- Tell the children that we'll be listening to Symphony no. 6, written by a composer named Tchaikovsky. We're all going to sit still and listen to the song.
- Allow students to lay on the floor (if you have a clean floor). Tell the children to close their eyes and just listen. Turn out the lights and play piece from the CD.
- Turn on the lights. Have students return to their seats. Tell them we're going to listen to it again and then tell me what they notice about the song. Play it again.
- Ask the children what they noticed about the song.
- Tell the students that we're going to listen to it one last time. This time when they hear the piece get loud, they should stand up. When they hear it get quiet, they should sit back down.
- Have children collect presentation items from the basket/table.
- Remind that when someone else is talking, children should: Stop, Look, Listen.
- Remind about presentations: Today’s focus will be: Posture: Stand still ad straight with shoulders relaxed and head high. Hips stay pointed to audience and feet are planted. What is today’s focus? [Remember to raise your hand to answer.]
- Each child gets 1 question token (a foam rectangle with their name written on it).
- Have children go in alphabetical order. (We rotate each week.)
- Next week’s skill to work on: Sound: Use appropriate volume, inflection, and tempo. Speak using a volume so that the whole room can hear you. Vary your inflection; don’t use a monotone voice. Don’t speak too fast or too slow.
- Return presentation items to backpacks.
Bathroom Break & Snack Time
Pray. Bathroom break. Get snacks from snack basket and have snack while listening to memory work CD or Tchaikovsky's Symphony no. 6.
- Ahead of time you can watch a video of the activity by Shondra Neumayer posted below.
- Follow the directions on p. 266-267 in the Foundations Book. If your parents are okay with their children eating candy, then use Skittles or M&Ms. Using 3 types of cereal would also work if you want to include a treat but have less sugar.
- Geography Fast Review: Hand out maps to each child. Divide up children among you & the helping moms so that you are able to each check specific children and what they are pointing at. Call out the geography locations from weeks 14-20. Have children tell me or show me locations using their fingers.
- Nerf Complete Review: Ahead of time place a sticky note under each child’s seat. Each sticky note will have a different subject on it. Each child will get a turn to find the sticky note under their chair. We will review all the grammar in that subject from weeks 14-20 together as a class. Then all the children will get to line up at the “firing range” and shoot 3 bullets at the targets drawn on the board. The next child will find their subject. While we review that subject, helping mom/dad will reload the guns. Repeat until all subjects have been covered. *Make sure that Timeline is last.
I truly feel blessed to be a part of your lives and a part of this amazing CC community! It was a delight getting to hear each of the children recite a memory verse or poem this week! They each did an amazing job!
This week I will be praying for each of your children. My prayer is that through our time at CC, they will develop a willingness and ability to work hard at all that they do “as working for the Lord, not for men.” (Colossians 3:23)
- CC Cycle 3 Week 1
- CC Cycle 3 Week 2
- CC Cycle 3 Week 3
- CC Cycle 3 Week 4
- CC Cycle 3 Week 5
- CC Cycle 3 Week 6
- CC Cycle 3 Week 7
- CC Cycle 3 Week 8
- CC Cycle 3 Week 9
- CC Cycle 3 Week 10
- CC Cycle 3 Week 11
- CC Cycle 3 Week 12
- CC Cycle 3 Week 13
- CC Cycle 3 Week 14
- CC Cycle 3 Week 15
- CC Cycle 3 Week 16
- CC Cycle 3 Week 17
- CC Cycle 3 Week 18
- CC Cycle 3 Week 19
- CC Cycle 3 Week 20
- CC Cycle 3 Week 21
- CC Cycle 3 Week 22
- CC Cycle 3 Week 23
- CC Cycle 3 Week 24
© 2021 Shannon