Skip to main content

A 1958 Class Trip to Washington DC

Paul spent the 1950s living in a suburb of Milwaukee and also on a small dairy farm in southeastern Wisconsin.

Washington DC


A Trip to Washington DC

In the late spring of 1958, the eighth grade class of my Catholic School in Wisconsin made a weekend trip to visit the sights in and around Washington D.C. Being my first travel away from home; it was a fascinating experience that I will always treasure.

In this article, I reflect on the train trip and the historical sights which I toured in and around our nation's Capitol.

Preparation for Class Trip

At the beginning of 1958, my Saint Thomas Aquinas School eighth grade teacher, Sister Salutaria, suggested a class trip to Washington D.C. before our graduation. The chosen time frame was on a weekend in late May. We would depart by train on a Friday afternoon and return to Wisconsin on Monday morning. In Washington, we would learn about American history by visiting the White House, the Capitol Building, and even touring President Washington's estate at Mount Vernon, Virginia.

Originally I feared that I would not be able to make the trip because my parents were poor farmers and could not afford to pay the cost of the trip. Fortunately, a local Waterford businessman took care of the $50 cost for train fares, one night in a D.C. hotel, and sightseeing excursion expenses.

Train Travel from Milwaukee to Washington

After what seemed like an eternity, the day of the long-awaited school trip arrived. On a warm Friday morning in late May, I set out for school with a small used suitcase.

Following the attendance at an 8:00 Mass at the school church, our eighth-grade class departed Waterford for Milwaukee. We were accompanied by a few seventh-grade students, Sister Salutaria, and about three-parent escorts.

Early Friday afternoon, we arrived at the Milwaukee Road Station in downtown Milwaukee. It was now time for the 90-minute commuter train ride from Milwaukee to Chicago, There must have been 25-30 kids in our group, and we had a joyous time on the first leg of our journey.
It was now time to begin our 15-hour train ride adventure from Chicago to Washington D.C.

Since this was my first time out of Wisconsin, I marveled at the size of Chicago as we slowly pulled away from the station. Probably at around 6:00, we were led to the dining car for dinner. I cannot remember exactly what I had, but the food seemed very delicious. While looking out of the coach window, I asked a conductor if we had finally departed Chicago. The reply was that we were still going through East Chicago and would soon be entering Gary, Indiana. Never had I realized that Chicago was so vast.

At around midnight, I remember gazing out the window and seeing the sky lit up with fire coming from stacks. A passing conductor pointed out that we were now passing by Pittsburg which was the steel capital of the U.S. at that time.

After being entertained with fireworks better than any Fourth of July celebration, I finally fell asleep in my coach seat and didn't awaken until dawn. As I opened my eyes, I heard voices saying that we were now passing by Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. From my American history study in school, I knew that John Brown was killed there leading to a slave insurrection around 1860.

Having crossed the Potomac River and left Harper's Ferry, the train now sped through the green meadows of Maryland. It was now less than one hour before we would be arriving at Union Station in Washington D.C., our final destination.

The White House


Washington Monument


Saturday Morning Activities in Washington D.C.

I'm guessing that it was between 7:00 and 8:00 a.m. when our B&O train pulled into Union Station in Washington. A big tour bus was expecting us, and our first stop was at the White House. All I can remember is going into a big white building and being led past a few big rooms on the first floor. I didn't pay attention to where I was because I didn't realize I had been in the White House until a few minutes after our group had left!

Our next stop was down Pennsylvania Avenue at the U.S. Capitol Building. We had learned from our history class that the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives convened meetings in the Capitol. After being hypnotized by the architecture and especially the Rotunda, we were allowed to ascend to the gallery and have a view of the chamber where the U.S. Senate convenes. No legislative sessions were being held on the Saturday morning when we visited, but it was still interesting to see where history has been made. Following a 30-minute stay, our group assembled in front of the Capitol for a photo. How I wish I still had that picture to share with my readers.

The final attraction on Saturday morning was a visit to the Washington Monument. Located on the Mall about halfway between the Capitol and the Lincoln Memorial, construction began in 1848 and was completed in 1888. It is a 555-foot edifice, and upon our arrival, we had the choice of either riding an elevator to the top or climbing the inside steps. All of the boys in my class decided to take the steps and look at the various huge stones which were assembled for the Monument. After walking up to the top, we peered out of the windows and had a great view of Washington D.C. I remember running down the steps as in some sort of race with my classmates.

Tomb of the Unknown Soldier


Saturday Afternoon Activities

At around noon, we had our lunch in the cafeteria of one of the museums on the Mall. All the entrees and especially the chocolate cake looked very delicious and inviting. Upon leaving the cafeteria, our group headed for the Smithsonian Museum across the Mall. What I can still remember is seeing the Wright Brothers' first plane suspended from the ceiling.

Scroll to Continue

Following our tour of the Smithsonian, we got back into our tour bus and drove past the Lincoln and Jefferson Memorials. Our next stop would now be the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington National Cemetery. We arrived just in time to see the changing of the guard at the Tomb. After getting onto the bus again, we then drove through Arlington Cemetery with a guide pointing out the sites of graves for former Presidents and war heroes. As we passed the site of President William Howard Taft's grave, I remember the guide mentioning that Taft was our nation's heaviest President and that he needed a special coffin built.

At around 5:30, we checked into our hotel which was a few blocks from the White House. The Willard Hotel was quite old and I was assigned a room with a seventh-grade boy. We were on our own for dinner that evening. At the suggestion of a classmate, we went to a diner down the street and had hamburgers while listening to Elvis Presley's hits on the jukebox.

Mount Vernon Virginia


Sunday Activities

Everyone in our group got up early on Sunday morning because Sister had said that we would be attending Mass at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception. A bus was waiting for us at around 8:00, and I can't recall whether the Mass started at 8:30 or 9:00. I have no recollection at all of attending Mass at the Basilica.

Probably at about 10:00 when Mass was over, we all headed out by bus to George Washington's estate at Mount Vernon, Virginia, right across the Potomac River outside of Washington. At Mount Vernon, we toured many of the inside rooms of the mansion, but what I can still remember the best is standing next to the crypt of the father of our country and seeing a lock of his gray hair under glass. Before departing Mount Vernon early in the afternoon, I purchased a few small souvenirs and also a small boxwood plant for my mother. I cannot remember anything else from Sunday, but we probably departed at around 5:00 from Union Station for our long trip back home.


The trip and activities on Saturday and Sunday made me so tired that I probably slept on the train most of the way back to Chicago. I have no memory of transferring to the Milwaukee Road in Chicago, but I do remember arriving back in Milwaukee at about 8:00 or 9:00 on Monday morning. This was a very exciting, educational, and interesting trip that I will cherish and remember for all of my life.

This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.

© 2016 Paul Richard Kuehn


Paul Richard Kuehn (author) from Udorn City, Thailand on December 23, 2016:

Thank you very much for your comments. I'm glad you enjoyed reading this article.

Paul Richard Kuehn (author) from Udorn City, Thailand on December 22, 2016:

Thank you very much for your comment, Larry!

Paul Richard Kuehn (author) from Udorn City, Thailand on December 22, 2016:

I never saw Harry Truman in a parade, but I remember my mother taking me up to Greenfield Avenue in West Allis about 1952 to see General Douglas MacArthur's passing motorcade. There is a lot of history to see in DC, and I visited it many times when I lived in Maryland.

Paul Richard Kuehn (author) from Udorn City, Thailand on December 22, 2016:

It was a great trip, Meg, and it definitely gave U.S. history more meaning to me. I went through the White House again in 1986 when I showed it to my parents. That time I certainly knew where I was!

Larry Rankin from Oklahoma on December 22, 2016:

Interesting snippet of history.

Don A. Hoglund from Wisconsin Rapids on December 22, 2016:

That is an amazing trip for a grade school kid. Truthfully the closest we came was our grade school nun marched the class about a mile to see President Harry Truman in a parade down central Ave in Minneapolis.

I've never been the DC. I came close when I made a wrong turn once on a work trip to Baltimore. I probably would never have gotten to my destination though.

DreamerMeg from Northern Ireland on December 22, 2016:

That was a great trip and probably truly brought your country's history to life for you. That was very kind of the local businessman to pay the fee.

Related Articles