Teedi is a college student who loves to test out creativity in different areas of writing.
While there are people who read and quickly assimilate everything on paper, there are others that go through quite a rigorous phase to understand a topic.
There are others who understand everything being told to them and others who learn better when they see it being implemented.
In all the following examples of how people pick up on certain things, you could wonder what makes it that way.
Different people learn in different ways, every great person has his success story and no two are ever similar, the same applies to learning.
So I’ll be exploring the nine major ways of learning.
Read closely as you could find the one that perfectly fits you and then adjust.
Note that this does not just apply to reading and understanding books but also learning new things. Maybe you wanted to try learning a music instrument this could really help you figure out how to go about it.
As a teacher or parent, this could also help you understand children and relate to their situations as well as help them figure out what works best for them.
Every person is peculiar and knowing what applies to each helps you work better and better impact who you need to, leading to better communication as well as building trust and relationships
Scientifically proven to be nine types of learners, it doesn’t necessarily mean a person would belong to just one. While they would have the one that works best, other types can work for different situations as well.
This can be determined by environment, mood, character traits and even stress levels
They depend on their eyes to learn. They are seen to understand and remember best what they have seen.
Best approaches to this type of learners is
- Studying one material at one time as using a lot could distract focus and get the information all jumbled in the brain therefore making understanding impossible
- Monitor yourself while you work at a task so as to remember the steps taken while working. This can prove useful especially in science experiments
- Turn theoretical subjects into stories or illustrations in order to quickly understand what you are seeing. Videos on YouTube can also prove immensely help with visual representation
These are the practical learners and might have their main method of learning as visual as it also supports this type.
They learn by seeing, copying, probably failing and then going on to master it. They learn best with visuals and techniques.
Best studying methods for this type of learners are:
- Practice more than reading. For subjects that are purely theoretical, YouTube can be a good place to start learning as well as documentaries, museums, history books and so on
- Develop the visual learner within you by watching more videos and start to pick up little by little
Ever been classmates with someone who needs to check up on scholarly opinions of a topic every time? Well they might just fall right here.
These types of learners are the ones who have to verify every information across a credible or scholarly source before agreeing and settling to read.
They have intense research skills and put them to good use
- Befriend your teachers and find out the sources they use and references they think you should consult
- Watch videos from reliable sources about subject you’re about to study
These learners learn best with sound. They hear the information and then begin to translate it into creative images as well as storylines that help them assimilate better.
They can learn quite easily through
- Recording your classes and listen to them later. Try jotting as the teacher speaks in class as well and not just read note jottings.
- Record someone else or even yourself explaining hard notes and replay them over and over till they register in your head
- Subject related videos could also help to help information stick better
Ever seen a situation where in a test you pass all the tough questions and fail the easy ones? Well we might as well relate it to this group of learners.
They prefer to study when it stresses them. As pressure mounts, they assimilate better. In studying they should note that
- Having a goal keeps them motivated towards going forward and into studying more. So strive to set more goals
- For the fact that you do well under pressure, doesn’t mean you should be stressed. Keep healthy habits and rest well.
- When stressed, try studying on related subjects since you can relate the two factors and understand
These are the exact opposites of stress learners.
They learn only when they are at ease and relaxed. While others might go to sleep reading at ease, they function much better at that point.
They also go for subjects that won’t stress them out. Best studying methods include
- Break down studying into different parts rather than taking the bulk all at once
- Outline your schedule to cover up your study plan and other activities in between so you know what to do and when, therefore not getting stressed about what to do
-If your available materials seem very confusing, consult the library or internet for the same information broken down making understanding achievable.
Writing is what puts this type of learners on top. They learn by writing out what they understand from class or notes. They also ascribe to drawing if need be.
The best way to go about it include
- Write out everything you understand from the lesson even as a storyline or an illustration even a doodle. Who knows something productive might show up later
- Read up on what you need to learn about and stick to one source so that when writing, you don’t get it all mixed up
Learning for this group comes from teaching others. It’s like the law of reciprocity taking place for them. As you explain it to others in the best way possible, you understand much better as well
The best method to learn is to explain to someone else what you are reading or even just pretend to by explaining it out loud to yourself
Group studying seems to work best for these ones. They see what others do in studying and copy it for themselves thereby assimilating even better.
Videos also work best as they could copy whatever information being put up as well