Self-employed blogger. Loves everything natural & organic. Learning to professionally formulate natural organic skincare products.
"How much money can I earn?" Is probably the most common question people ask when comparing online writing sites like Hubpages that offer their members the opportunity to earn money through writing.
In this article, I share:
- My humble story on how much I earned on Hubpages;
- The secrets to increasing your income on Hubpages;
- Tips to get more traffic to your articles; and
- Critical mistakes to avoid.
This article is intended for a complete newbie in the research stage of checking out writing sites that pays; as well as for Hubbers who wish to write articles that Google loves and brings you more revenue.
Do Not Sign Up If...
Do not sign up to Hubpages if you're from a country that does not receive money through Paypal. Because Hubpages only pays through Paypal when your earnings reach the payment threshold of $50.
Yes You Can Earn, But Add Value First
Hubpages provides the opportunity for you to earn passive income from writing articles and sharing information that will add value to people's lives.
There's greater potential for you to increase your income - but not without consistent effort in building rich content around keywords and bringing traffic to your hubs.
How much you actually earn depends on:
- Your motivation for writing;
- The kind of topics you're passionate about and the value you add to other people's lives through information-sharing;
- Your efforts in consistently writing good quality, content-rich articles (or hubs);
- The amount of traffic your hubs bring, that is, how many people read your articles; and
- Which earnings pathway you choose.
Getting Your Motivations Right and Managing Expectations
HubPages is not a writing site where you can write a few short articles and earn lots of money overnight. Many get disappointed and leave when they come with this over-ambitious expectation and find that they have to work hard and persevere.
My advice: Do not start at HubPages with such an "overnight success" unrealistic expectation because you can get disappointed.
This is what HubPages says: “Please keep in mind that HubPages is first and foremost a community for people who love to write, share information, and help others with their articles. Making a bit of extra money is an added bonus, but it should not be your primary motivation”. There you go!
If your primary intent is to share information and provide solutions to people who are looking for that information or product, you’ll go a long way as a successful hubber. Interactions with the HubPages writing community will help you improve as a writer and it can also motivate you to hang on when you feel like quitting.
How Do You Make Money on HubPages?
Ways to make money writing on HubPages:
- Hubpages Ad Program;
- Google Adsense;
- Amazon or other Affiliate Programs; and
- Referral of new hubbers and a lifetime percentage of their earnings.
For Google and Adsense Ad Programs, you get paid for impressions as well as clicks. For Amazon when people purchased through your link. Income is split 60/40 [60% to you, 40% to Hubpages].
For other affiliate programs not managed through Hubpages, you get paid for purchase, signup or whatever earnings policy of the merchant. Check Hubpages Policy for what legitimate affiliate programs you can promote. And which ones are banned.
The key is learning how to write good-quality content-rich hubs that gets ranked in search engines and brings you traffic. Traffic equals to revenue.
How to Increase Earnings
Here's my experience writing on HubPages. I signed up at HubPages on 15 November, 2012. The same day, I posted an article which is not being featured now for being of poor quality. In fact, all my early articles are of low-quality. Also, I'm not a native English speaker so when they say "write as you speak", I can become confusing sometimes. Lol.
By the end of the month, I had earned 2 cents! That motivated me to write a few more articles.
Do the following to increase your earnings:
- Good Quality Hubs – write good quality, content-rich, original hubs on topics of your interest that you are knowledgeable and passionate about. Write to share information that people are searching for, which will add value to them. Keyword Research is a must.
- Consistency – write consistently; update your content regularly to keep it fresh for search engines.
- Bring Traffic to Your Hubs – you make money when people read your hubs. Good quality hubs should be search-engine optimized so it brings natural traffic. Engaging with the HubPages community, especially in reading and commenting on other writers’ hubs can also return the same favor to your hubs. Share your hubs on social media;
- Submit Your Articles to Niche Sites - Hubpages has niche sites for different niches. Articles in niche sites tend to do better.
- Abide by the Rules – many people have their accounts cancelled by HubPages when they don’t abide by the site’s rules. Take some time to go through the site’s terms and conditions and you’ll go a long way as a writer here;
- Never Give Up – it can take up to 6 months or more before you may reach the $50 payment threshold. Never give up if you don’t see increased earnings in the early stages of your HubPages journey. Be patient and consistent.
Quality Content around Keywords = Traffic = Revenue
Building high quality content around keywords is the key to getting traffic to your hubs. And your revenue depends on the traffic.
But how do you know what keywords are being searched? What keywords do you build content around?
I use the JAAXY keyword tool to find keywords for my articles and blog posts.
It is an advanced keyword research tool I highly recommend you check it out and do your first 30 searches for free.
Check this Hub out for more tips on "How to Find Keywords for an Article: Tips to Get a Higher Google Ranking".
How Much Money Can You Earn?
How much money you can potentially earn writing on HubPages depends very much on the quality of your hubs, whether it's adding value to people and thereby generating traffic.
In other words, whether your articles are build around keywords people are searching for.
On average 300 views per day would earn about $1 from HubPages Ad program. Writing Amazon product reviews is more likely to lead to a purchase than just displaying Amazon products in a hub.
All my hubs from 5-7 years ago are no longer featured because they were never optimized for search engine, not written around keywords, and contents not updated. I'm only earning from 5 hubs.
How Much I Got Paid by HubPages
|Months||HubPages Earnings||No. of Months|
Nov 2012 - April 2013
May - July 2013
August - October 2013
November - December 2013
January - February 2014
June - July 2014
August - September 2014
October - November 2014
Dec 2014 - January 2015
May - June 2015
August - September 2015
October - November 2015
Dec 2015 - January 2016
February - March 2016
April - May 2016
Nov - December 2016
January - February 2017
March - April 2017
May, June & July 2017
August - September 2017
October - November 2017
Dec 2017 - January 2018
Feb 2018 - March 2018
April 2018 - May 2018
June 2018 - August 2018
Unpaid Balance of $398.81
My earnings from September 2018 to July 2020 is $398.81, which is unpaid and sitting in my account due to Paypal issues.
The Paypal problem was a major disincentive and discouragement that kept me away from Hubpages. But I continue to earn small dollars passive income from only 5 articles that are generating some views and traffic.
An increased income is directly correlated to traffic. The more content-rich hubs you produce, that is generating traffic, your earning potential increases.
***Update: Hubpages Paid the Balance on 29/08/2020
7 Critical Mistakes to Avoid
- Not doing keyword research: The only way people find your online content is through a keyword research in Google or one of the search engines. You will only make money when people read your articles (and buy if you're promoting a product). Build content around what people are already searching for.
- Inconsistency: Kills the potential to increase your income. Don't repeat my mistake. I've been off Hubpages for years! Write consistently.
- Not Doing Regular Updates: Update content and edit low quality hubs according to Hubpages guidelines so your hubs remain 'evergreen'. Take Hubpages as your garden. Maintain it and it will yield much fruit.
- Poor Quality Hubs: people click past poor information and Google won't be interested in you. Creative information-rich hubs adds value and will bring you more visitors as people share your articles. Do not write for Google by keyword-stuffing your articles or doing some trickery article-spinning stunts. It'll starve you of money. Write for a human being.
- Not abiding by Hubpages Rules: engage with Hubpages community and abide by site rules.
- Not Managing your Expectations: don't expect to earn hundreds of dollars overnight from writing a few articles. Also, money should not be your primary motivation for writing on Hubpages. Add content and value, share information and the money will come.
- Not Making Your Hubs Colorful: Use beautiful eye-catching pictures in your hubs to attract and retain readers. I use Canva for all free stock photos and designs you can create.
English is Not Your First Language?
So am I. I know the struggle. My earlier hubs suck! They're bland and outright boring. Don't be afraid to write, and keep going. Your first hub may not be sexy. But don't worry. The consistent efforts you put into your writing, will reward you with value one day.
How About Creating Your Own Blog?
Creating your own blog is awesome. But if it's a new blog without much content, you will have problem bringing in traffic. The beauty of writing on Hubpages platform, including the niche sites, is that your article will ride on the popularity of Hubpages and appear higher (Page 1) of Google search results.
I Hope this Hub has been of Value
Although I joined Hubpages 7 years ago to use the platform to write [for the purpose of improving my English], I was also motivated by the fact that I made a few cents in the process.
I really wanted to know how much I can possibly earn from writing on Hubpages. But didn't find anyone willing to publish their details publicly. Sometimes I felt intimidated by the "matured" Hubbers, because I was a newbie nowhere near their success.
I’m just an average writer, a lazy one! Don't emulate me on being lazy! Nowhere near one of those inspirational, active and successful Hubbers earning hundreds or thousands of dollars per month.
Visit the forum and read the success stories of other Hubbers for inspiration and motivation. See their style of writing and how they set up their hubs. Copy their style but DON’T steal their content.
I hope new writers find some useful tips and avoid the common newbie mistakes I made when I first started writing on HubPages. Feel free to contact me if you need a helping hand.
HAPPY HUBBING! WISH YOU ALL THE BEST
© 2014 Kejanny
Kejanny (author) from Papua New Guinea on November 11, 2020:
Tips still apply.
Micha ELa from Philippines on October 29, 2020:
Doesthis tips still apply in 2020. I started rather late in this site. Although I wish I have started early like you did.
Pixie20 on October 26, 2020:
Thank you so much for sharing this information. I've just got my first article featured and this one helped me a lot in understanding when I should expect some money and how good the value of my content should be.
Tammy Winters from Oregon on October 12, 2020:
Thanks for writing this hub. It has helped.
Louisa young from Lagos Nigeria on September 13, 2020:
Thanks for sharing
Emmy Banks from Lagos, Nigeria on September 06, 2020:
This was helpful
Abby Slutsky from America on August 31, 2020:
Thanks for sharing. I was trying to get a sense of how I am doing by reading this, but I still don't know. I have been here only two month, but I think I have produced a lot of articles in that time period.
Jaslinkumar on August 24, 2020:
I just started Hubpages so thank you for the article.
Onyango Julius from Mombasa on August 24, 2020:
Thanks for this Information
Maureen kamweti on August 19, 2020:
Thanks for sharing
Ngangom Kailash from India on August 19, 2020:
I have posted an article on hubpage but don't know how much traffuc it will receive. Its about collab of Selena Gomez
Cynthia on August 19, 2020:
Thank you for the good ideas you've shared to me. It helps me a lot to go on with my quest for writing.
Arensshi from Philippines on August 14, 2020:
Thanks for this article! I am inspired to do more hubs because of this. My English skills are not really good so I will train and study more!
Afeefa batool on July 21, 2020:
Please provide me intial tips for article writing
Alexia Ochoa from México on June 25, 2020:
Hi, I'm new here and very excited to learn. Thank you for sharing your experience.
AshleyRena from United States on June 10, 2020:
Go girl! I do hope you are successful. I have also come back here after being away for 10 years!!!! My story is very similar to yours, as well as the feeling of thinking about how if I would have stuck with it that my account would be so much further along. But we live and we learn, and we are here now. We will do well.
Philip Paul from Nairobi,Kenya on June 09, 2020:
I am new here. Thanks for the information.
Bilal Fazal from lahore on May 25, 2020:
Helpful piece :)
Indro Neel from India on May 17, 2020:
Hi Kejanny, very helpful article - thank you for sharing the details!
Sohaib Mansoor from Karachi, Pakistan on March 04, 2020:
Thanks, this helped me a lot. Now I will focus even more on my huns
SarmadAli88 on February 23, 2020:
Thank you so much it really helped me a lot now I'm gonna work on my writing skills and produce quality writing
Richard Appiah from West Haven, CT on January 28, 2020:
I am new to hubpages and thank you for sharing this content. It is really helpful.
Joshua Crowder from SE United States on January 19, 2020:
Nice read. This reminds me of my rough start. I also have about 7 cash cow hubs that never let me down.
Malaki Ashby from Utah on December 28, 2019:
Thanks for the information! This gives a bit of an idea on what to expect.
Micha ELa from Philippines on September 28, 2019:
Thank you for the motivation. Really inspiring.
jrs3936296 from India on September 27, 2019:
Inspiration post. Thanks for sharing!
Farrah Young from Lagos, Nigeria on September 18, 2019:
Good one. Writing on hubpages really is a good way to earn passive income.
However, what you didnt point out is that you will earn better when your articles get moved to the niche sites.
I have just four articles moved and this has greatly limited my earnings.
SHREENIDHI from Chennai, Tamilnadu, India on September 17, 2019:
Thanku so much for writing such an interesting and informative article. It is a great motivation for new hubbers like me.
Donald Namane on May 22, 2019:
I joined yesterday, wrote my first article and I just happen to write it because I wanted a platform I could write content on to share with my email list and add value to my clients in South Africa. But when I realised that there is passive income to be made I got inspired. Thanks a alot.
Silent Sairafi from Bangladesh on January 20, 2019:
It again recalled because Iam a new one. I have a qus: can I earn by my own poetry?
Cookbeat from Jagodina on August 26, 2018:
So what I want to know is that you don't actually earn money just from page views. But only if someone clicks on ad? I have lots of visitors/viewers, but if none of them clicks on any ad I don't get anything? Am I on the right page here? Thanks guys.
mel-kav on April 17, 2018:
I've been away for quite a while. Now that I'm back, I was trying to find out what the payout threshold is. Thanks for answering that question in your post.
Phoebe from Papua New Guinea on February 21, 2018:
Thanks for sharing. I'm inspired!