Professional scrapbook artist, paper crafter, and author. I have taught people how to make family memories into legacies for 20 years.
How To Hold A Successful Online Party
With the economy and the lack of time that folks have these days, hosting an online party for your direct sales program creates a whole new frontier for increased sales and customers.
Done correctly, your sales can increase dramatically. If worked correctly, you can get a base of customers that you never thought possible.
Online sales parties will help you meet your quotas and boost your sales If you have monthly parties introducing or featuring specific products, the attendance is going to be better than if you just have them at random
Make sure you have it on the same day every month (such as the 1st, 10th, 15th...something easy to remember).
The best way to begin online parties is to build a base of potential customers. You can do this with newsletters or blogs. Your subscribers are interested in what you have to say and will welcome your events. Promoting your events through these medias will increase your profit line.
Getting Started With Online Parties
Learning The Tricks of The Trade
Online parties can be an exciting and profitable part of your business. Not only will you make extra sales, but you will also develop a new and loyal customer base for online and offline sales. Add to the fact that handled correctly, you may very well build a dynamic sales force to your organization. Getting strated , just means learning and getting organized. You never want to venture into online parties without having your act together. Otherwise you will fail immeadiatly.
The first step is to attend several online parties yourself.....Be prepared to take notes and learn from the good and the bad.
Reasons To Hold An Online Party
- Online parties allow you to display your items as if you were there with your customers
- It helps you increase your customer base to virtually all over the country. This is especially useful if you have an online website for your products
- It helps you recruit new consultants
Types Of Hosting
There are many tpes of online parties. Chose the one that best suiots your need:
Hostess PartiesA hostess party works the same as a home party. You find a person that's willing to invite their friends and family, except online it's done in a chat room instead of a a home. Another idea is to find a rep from another company and set up to exchange parties. You agree to be a hostess for them and in return they host a party for you. Some groups and boards will allow you to ask for hostesses, but please be sure to follow their rules and spam laws.
Mystery Hostess Party If all else fails and you can't find another hostess, mystery hostess parties are always a great option. Mystery hostess parties can put a unique twist on the entire party itself piquing the interest of your guests. Basically, the idea behind that is that there is no "official hostess" until the end of the party. Once the party is over, take the names of all the guests and randomly pick one guest to be the "Mystery Hostess" and they receive the hostess rewards
Participating Vendor This is where you host your party alone. That is to say, you are the only vendor that is showcased.
Host Of A Multi Vendor Party You are responsible for organizing and hosting the party. That means that you must keep each vendor to his/her time slot and keep everything flowing freely.You will also introduce each vendor. Generally in this type of party, you do not pay for your time to present.
Sales Rep Exchange Party You hostone for them and they host one for you
As A Vendor For A Multi Vendor PartyYou have to be in the room and ready to go about 10 minutes before your time slot. You must let the organizer know if you are unable to attend. You must keep to your alloted time.
Host It Yourself A great way to get started
New Product Party A great way to indroduce a new product or line
Where To Host An Online Direct Sales Party
There are multiple different platforms to host your online direct sales party.
- Zoom-ts free version allows users to have digital meetups with up to 100 guests. Not enough? If you pay for a business or enterprise plan, you can host even more (300 and 500 guests, respectively). The one downside is that calls with more than three guests can only last up to 40 minutes, so you may have to hang up and call back if you’re in the midst of an event or intense convo. It works with almost every device that has Wi-Fi and a webcam.
- Google Hangout- The app can support video calls with up to ten guests, so you can have a small soiree with your squad. If you have a business or education account, you can host parties with up to 25 people, so you don’t need to miss out on your monthly office party during social distancing. It’s totally free and super easy to use if you’re familiar with G Suite.
- Houseparty-It does it allow up to eight people to “party” at a time, but it also gives you the option to play games and quizzes, making it stand out in a sea of more basic digital chatting platforms. It’s totally free and works on desktop, iOS, and Android devices.
- Facetime is your best friend. It’s built into every Apple device, so if you’re low on storage, you won’t have to delete any of your precious photos to make room for it. It can accommodate up to 32 members in one chat, so you can throw a full-blown party on it. The only downside is that you can’t use it to video conference with your pals who don’t swear by Steve Jobs’ Apple gadgets.
- Skype-It allows you to text, make voice calls, and video chat on computers, phones, tablets, Xbox, smartwatches, and pretty much every other gadget under the sun. You can have up to 50 people in a video chat at once, so it’s a great choice for larger parties. The app is free to use if you’re on Wif-Fi, but you’ll have to pay to use premium features, like SMS texting and making calls to landlines.
- What's App-The free, Facebook-owned app allows you to text, make voice calls, share photos and docs, and, of course, video chat. You can seamlessly switch between talking through text to video chatting, which is great if you want to keep a conversation going but don’t feel like being face-to-face. It allows you to video chat with up to 16 people, but you can have as many as you want in a text chat. It’s compatible with both Android and Apple products.
- Instagram-If you want to video chat, start up a DM convo with up to six people and turn it into a video chat party. Like every other feature on the app, it’s totally free, so you won’t have to spend any of your hard-earned money to see your pals’ smiling faces. You can use it on phones of all kinds, but not computers (yet).
- Facebook Messanger-You’re probably well aware that you can video chat people using their Messanger but did you know you could host up to 50 people in a single chat? That means you could have a full family reunion or birthday party on the app and not have any of your nearest and dearest miss out. It’s super intuitive to use, so even those who aren’t tech-savvy should catch on quickly. Like most of the apps on this list, it’s 100% free to use on Wi-Fi.
The Best Time To Hold Online Sales Parties
You need to capture your audience in a mood for buying to be profitable. The best time of year to do that is in the winter. Why? Because people are generally indoors most of the time and looking for something to do. You may very well be just the activity that they are looking for to break the boredom of winter.Give yourself one to two weeks lead time to get everything ready and promoted
Where To Find A Hostess
You can try to utilize your family and friends. Use your list of hostesses who have hosted home parties for you.You can also put out ads for random hostesses online.You can host a mystery hostess party where one of the guests will be selected to get all the goodies.And don't forget to host your own party.
Make sure to take time to guide and teach your host throughout and to the party, Be enthusiastic ! Have them enjoy the process. Make it fun and comfortable so that they will become loyal to you and your brand. That will translate to increased sales, more parties and repeat hosts.
Where To Host Your Online Party
You can actually host your party in a free chat room, if you need to, but your sales will not be as good as a room with a view of your products. If you use a chat room, you will need to make sure that the people that you invite have catalogs.
Inviting Guests To Your Online Party
It is essential to understand that mass invitations to all your or your host friends list on Facebook does not guarantee a successful party. If you are like me, you have dozens pf post every day. And more than likely, you skim through them as time permits. You can try that route, but you are going to only get a few responses if any.
Instead, have your host make personal contact to invite guests to your online party. The host can send a personal message or phone or text the list of guests that they have made in advance. The invite should include what the party is about, the day, time and link that they can go to and join.
People are more likely to respond to a more personal touch.
Your Guide To A Successful Online Party
Being Organized will help you achieve success. here is a checklist to help you keep focused. Make sure that you send personalized invitations. Send reminders a week ahead and reminders the day of your event.
- Set your date and time. You can either choose a daytime party or an evening party. Try to avoid weekends or holidays. Usually, Monday-Thursday is best! Consider East and West time zones when you are deciding on a time
- Chose a chat room or meeting room Chat rooms are fine, but there are meeting rooms online that will help you make a big impression with video, pictures, and power presentation. You will make sales when people can see what you are saying.
- Thank everyone for coming Make sure that they know you are pleased that they took time from their busy day to attend. make your thanks warm and honest. Make sure to greet each person individually.
- Plan some Games and Specials Get everything that you need to make your event fun and profitable.
- Give Incentives To Everyone Who Attends You could give discounts, free items, sale items and mention it in your invites
- Make up your guest list and send out your invites Send a special email and remember to make it fun. Make a wide guest list so that you have enough people attending. Post your party in chat rooms or on message boards. Send email invites to everyone on your lists. Don't leave a stone unturned
Send a reminder the day before and the day of the party.
- Invitations should be sent out a few days prior to the party and maybe send out reminders an hour or so before the start of the party. You can create these invites at evite.com for free.
- Give a good reason to attend the party! Either unveiling a new product, special sale, new line. People will be spending their precious time and you need to tell them why
- Introduce yourself and your business Tell your guests who you are and what you do. Be enthusiast about your company It's important to brand yourself as an expert, so tell everyone a little about yourself
- Talk about your sale items and specials People always love a bargain
- Discuss Your products, but allow time for questions Have a list of products and their features in front of you so that your presentation will flow nicely. Allow your guests to ask questions only after your presentation is completed
- Break up the party periodically with a short game I suggest that you have a game between your product presentation and your business opportunity.
- Have a PayPal Account for collecting product payments It's free to get an account and collecting money for your party will be seamless.
- Repeat your website URL, ordering instructions, and incentives several times during the party and for any late arrivals. Make sure guests understand shipping charges and the expected shipping date. If you are keeping the party open for several days or longer after the online party, be sure to explain that the order won't even be placed for some time.
- Limit yourself to no more than 10 items. You will lose sales when you go too long. People will drop away when things get boring. You do not need to show them your entire line all at once.
- If you are sending posts about your party on Facebook, make sure to post them at odd times rather than on the hour or half-hour. Posts disappear fairly quickly. Posting at odd times may help your post reach more people.
Where To Advertize and Post Your Online Parties - Fill your room with these resources
The important thing to to have an advertising plan and to get it going well in advance of your party. Use every method you can including yahoo groups, newletters, emails, facebook, linked in, tweet. Use all the social media to send out invites. Your effort will pay off !
- Home Party Plan Network
Large resource with good particiipation
- Every Door Direct Mail
Low cost way to target a specific market in youor neighborhood at very reasonable prices
Get More Bookings
Select three dates that you would like to host another online party. Have those dates in colorful envelopes.
Tell your party-goers that you have three dates available with special prizes for those who select those envelopes. When someone selects a date, open the envelope and announce the prize
Remind the partygoers that you have additional envelopes throughout the party/
Business Tools For Online Party Hosting
- Invitations - online at Paperless Post
Browse thousands of modern online party invitations for your next event. Easily upload your guest list, track RSVPs, and keep in touch with guests on the go.
- Home - PostMyParty
A paid service that allows you to host multiple parties and engage with your guests
The perfect platform to send your invites out.
Online Party Games - Essential Elements To Your Success
Doing games at your online party is essential to your success. It makes the party fun. It encourages more participation. It also keeps your guests longer. Space a couple of games into your party and make it a fun time.
- Auctions Make a way for guests to earn points that can be bid for items at the end of your party. The highest points would go to those purchasing or hosting parties in the future. Pick out a few nice items. The competition will keep going throughout the party and you will get more from it than you would think.
- Word Search Pick out 5 or more words and put them in a different color on your party site. Tell your guests the words that you are looking for. The first person to find them is the winner.
- ScramblePick 5-10 words from your site or product list. Scramble them up before the party. Email them to everyone in advance and have them email them back the day of the party.......the person with the most words is the winner
- Have you ever?
Guests receive one point for each answer, the one with the lowest score wins a prize. This is a great game!
1. Locked yourself out of the house?
2. Lost a member of the family while out shopping?
3. Put something unusual in the refrigerator?
4. Turned white colors pink (or another color) in the wash?
5. Gone away from your home and left the iron on?
6. Put your heel through the hem of a dress?
7. Had your zipper break in public?
8. Gone somewhere with two different shoes or socks on?
9. Remembered an appointment after it was too late?
10. Called a member of the family by another name?
11. Been ready to bathe and found no hot water?
12. Fallen up the stairs?
13. Gone shopping for groceries and discovered you did not bring any money
14. Driven away from somewhere while a member of your party was
still out of the car?
15. Dialed a phone number and forgot who you called?
16. Locked the keys in your car?
17. Got into the car to go somewhere and forgot where you were going?
18. Put something in the oven to bake and forgot about it
More On Line Party Games
- Invitations - online at Paperless Post
Browse thousands of modern online party invitations for your next event. Easily upload your guest list, track RSVPs, and keep in touch with guests on the go.
OnLine Party Resources - Become the Online Party Expert
Here is a great collection of information that will make your online party shine !
- How To Host An Online Candle Party
Great tips for Online candle parties
- How To Host An Online Purse Party
Great Ideas For Purse parties
Coach Your Hostess For Better Results
Coaching your hostess will always bring you better results and more sales. Take the right steps to get your hostess on board with your online sales events.
- Get a hostess pack to your hostess well before the event. Either drop it off or mail it ASAP from the booking time. Your hostess kit should include a couple of catalogs, a full tester product, or a product example. You will want to add some samples or examples of the product for the hostess to show others, some business cards, and promotion fliers, You might also include some order forms so that the hostess can get some orders ahead of the party. Contact the hostess and spend time with him/her to make sure that they understand the products and how to get a few side sales.
- Make sure that the hostess does not just use their online friend's list to send invites to. It is considered spammy and will cause a lot of bad feelings. Have them contact their friends individually in messenger or with a private email.
- Have your host share a picture of one of your products that she/he has used. That will bring more credibility to your product.
- Make sure that the host sends personal reminders to the guests the day of the party. It should be personal but should include the time and link to the party. Limit reminders to one or two a day. Beyond that, all you are going to do is annoy people.
- If you are in a different time zone, make sure that the host specifies the conversion to the time zones that others are in.
Most direct sales companies have special hostess reward plans. Many of these plans offer incentives based on sales.
These rewards can include free products, half-off codes, and incentive points. Make sure that your hostess understands what the incentive program is all about.
Treat your hostess well and the rewards will be huge. They are promoting your products and services, so you need to treat them like gold.
Give them a little gift in their hostess package and reward them beyond what your direct sales companies offer. This will cement your relationship, build your brand and help you get additional bookings.
Make sure to send a thank-you note after the party. It needs to be personal and hand written sent to their address.
Catalog Party Tips And Ideas
Want to get people to know your products, increase your volume and recruit more people to your business? Catalog parties may be the answer for you !
They are not meant to replace your home parties or booths, but rather to add to your business.
Catalog parties are a great way to add to your volume. You can add to your monthly totals every month by doing these on top of your other work
You can meet new people to your business with a few simple steps. This is a great way to get new business for working woman and men.
Catalog Party Tips
- Once she books the catalog, set a opening and closing date.
- Offer rewards for bookings
- Offer rewards for individual sales
- Offer bonus buys- offer something special to increase sales
- Make sure to offer information about your website
- Make sure to check after the product has been delivered or received
Benefits To The Hostess
- Do not have to have anyone at the house
- They can have a catalog party after a home party to get more free products
- Less pressure
Creating A Hostess Package
- Welcome letter introducing you and about the party (dates the party open and close
- 3-5 catalogs
- 15-20 order forms ( fill out information that is standard to help your sales)
- Information about the Hostess information -offer a little extra something to reward the hostess for her work
- Add multiple referral cards
- Hostess wish list-keep your hostess excited
Length and Time Of Your Party
This is a personal decision. You can do a one-hour party. This is the quickest type of party.
You can also do weekend parties, several night parties or even month;y parties/
So the longer the party, the more time that you are going to put into the party. You may have people coming and going. While there are more time and preparation to lengthier parties, there may also be more sales and bookings too.
A Few More Resources For On Line Parties
- Online Parties – How to Have A Successful Online Party | The Party Plan Guru
Online parties are becoming something of the future for us Party Planners/Direct Sellers. It's a great way to get that hostess that just does not want to have a party in her home. Online Parties can be a bit of a nightmare in terms of how they work,
Followups After The Party
Have you ever heard the saying, " the fortune is in the follow-up?" You might be surprised at how many sales are done in follow-ups with the folks who attended your party.
Contact each of the party-goers and ask if they have any questions. It is a good time to also check with them to see if they would like to host a party.
Make sure to contact each person who ordered after the party to make sure that they were happy with the items.
Final Thoughts About Online Parties
There is not a one-size-fits-all when it comes to online parties. You may need to try different combinations to see what works for you. As you work through your growth and find those elements that work for you. you will also find success. So, keep trying and grow as you go.
© 2009 Linda F Correa
Weigh In On Online Sales Parties
MintySea on November 10, 2011:
thanks I've never done online parties though I do most of my sales online
marsha32 on February 18, 2009:
I'm adding this to the featured lenses module on my lens on online parties.