Julie is a 15+ year serial entrepreneur and owner of All About Self Employment. She is always eager to share hot new lucrative side hustles.
What Is Mattress Flipping?
Having multiple streams of income is imperative to building wealth. I am always on the lookout for a new opportunity to bring in some extra cash each month. Imagine my surprise when I learned about this mattress flipping side hustle and discovered how lucrative it can be.
If you are interested in being self employed and have the following, this may be a great opportunity for you:
- A reliable truck or SUV
- The ability to lift 50+ pounds
- A clean, dry location for storing up to 10 mattresses
- A willingness to commit for at least 6 months
- Experience selling online on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace
Have you ever purchased a "bed in a box" mattress or a piece of heavy furniture online? If so, then you know that once you open the item, it isn't getting back in the box. Many premium mattress companies and online furniture retailers offer return policies extending up to 100 days. How can these items be returned if the customer decides they don't want it? This was a problem for retailers.
At first, mattress companies encouraged customers to donate the mattress return and provide proof of donation in exchange for refunding the purchase price. However, local donation centers quickly became overrun with bulky donations and refused to accept them. Mattress companies do not want the returned mattresses to needlessly head to landfills. This is where mattress flippers like me and my husband come in to the equation.
What is the Process for Becoming a Mattress Flipper?
The best part of this side hustle is that I am an independent contractor. We don't have to network with the mattress companies ourselves because there is already a system in place for funneling the mattress pickups to us. The application process includes:
- Completing a basic application
- Providing proof of vehicle registration and insurance
- Providing a copy of my drivers license
- A standard background check
- An online training session
The approval process took about 15 days and then we were assigned pick ups.
Once I received my first pick up, we scheduled it with the customer, picked up the mattress, washed the cover and sanitized it, and then wrapped it in plastic for resale. We then list the mattress on Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, Letgo, Offerup and anywhere else to get the maximum exposure. The mattresses are almost always in perfect condition and are foldable, making transport pretty easy.
Since we started this mattress flipping side hustle more than a year ago, there has been a steady stream of mattresses pick ups and mattress sales. The support within the mattress flipping community is strong and we all help each other out.
Our goal is to sell 5-10 mattresses each month for a total profit of $1000-$4000/month. So far, we have met our goal every month.
Premium Mattress Resale Pricing Guide
|Mattress Quality Level||Mattress Size||Average Profit|
What Supplies Are Needed for Mattress Flipping?
Since we are independent contractors, we are required to purchase our own supplies. This is not an MLM or any other kind of pyramid scheme, so there is no "buy in" and "start up fee." We can purchase any supplies that will make our jobs easier.
Here is what we use to be successful:
- King size mattress bags- I purchase them by the case from Uline.
- Packing tape and a tape gun- This is for taping up the top of the mattress bag.
- Ratchet straps- The mattresses are foldable and can be cinched tightly for transport.
- Dolly- Big mattresses and long sidewalks don't mix. I use a dolly when I can't park close to the entrance.
- Sterifab- This is the best mattress sanitizer and disinfectant.
- Twine- Once I get the mattress to my storage unit, I remove the ratchet straps and tie them with twine.
There is no start up cost to be a mattress flipper with the exception of these supplies, which cost less than $100. I spend about $8/mattress on supplies.
Mattress Flipping Isn't a Secret Anymore- But It Is Still a Hot Side Hustle
Now that I have shared how this works, it isn't a secret anymore- oops! This opportunity has been life changing for my family and hundreds of others around the country. As the face of retail continues to change and evolve, more side hustles like this one will continue to emerge.