Skip to main content

United States Navy Memories Part Three: Temporary Additional Duty to Japan in 1969

Paul served in the U.S. Navy from 1967–1971. He was stationed in Illinois, California, aTexas, and on bases in Taiwan, Japan, and Maryland.

Map of Japan


Temporary Additional Duty to Japan: Aug. 69 - Jan. 70

In U.S. Navy Memories Part Three, I recall my temporary additional duty (TAD) to Japan in 1969. What began as a promised and expected 90-day TAD to the island of Kyushu, Japan, turned into a five-month stay that I thought would never end. In this article, I remember my work, living, and off-duty experiences.

Getting Used to My TAD to Hakata, Japan

Toward the end of August 1969, co-worker Bob and I boarded a flight from Sungshan Airport in Taipei to Hakata Army Base. Hakata was located on the island of Kyushu, Japan, just across the bay from the city of Fukuoka.

After arriving on base, we were shown to our barracks in the old Bachelor Enlisted Quarters (BEQ.) Our rooms weren't as good as the ones we had at Shulinkou, Taiwan. Aside from a small cot, we had a nightstand and a small chest for our uniforms and clothes. Without any house boys, we were expected to clean our rooms and get our uniforms and clothes cleaned.

Shortly after checking into our barracks, we were ordered to report to the mess hall around 3:30 p.m. for dinner and then bus transit to our working area on the other side of the base.

The Hakata "chow hall" had Army cooks and the food was inferior to what we were accustomed to getting at Shulinkou.

Following a 15-minute bus ride, we arrived at our working site. Once again, I was translating Chinese and working shift work which was on a worse schedule than what I had in Taiwan. We were all expected to work a rotating 1-1-1-56 schedule. This entailed starting with an eve watch from 1600-0000 on day one and then having a day watch from 0800-1600 on day two. Finally, we were on a mid-watch from 0000-0800 on the third day followed by 56 hours of liberty or off-duty time.

Since the schedule was tiring and rotating, my days off during the week were always changing. I tried taking a beginning Japanese class offered in the evening on base but had to drop it because I was missing too many classes due to my work schedule.

Hakata Army Base in Japan

Picture taken in 1963.  My barracks on Hakata Army Base during TAD

Picture taken in 1963. My barracks on Hakata Army Base during TAD

Off-Duty Diversions

When on off-duty, we had the choice of amusing ourselves on the base or going off base and roaming the nearby bar town of Saitozaki. We also had the option of taking a ferry across the bay to the city of Fukuoka.

There was less to do on base than there was at Shulinkou in Taiwan. The NCO club on base only served drinks and food and had slot machines. There weren't any bands, and no Japanese women were brought on to the base for dancing and companionship.

Fortunately, there were tackle football games every Saturday afternoon during the fall. All of the armed services had a six or seven-man team, and I can remember seeing some exciting games between the Army and Air Force teams.

Due to being bored on base, I spent a lot of my off-duty free time off base. The closest and most convenient place to go was a small bar town called Saitozaki a short taxi ride from the base. Saitozaki, however, could not compete with Taipei for many reasons. First, Saitozaki was very small and only had a few restaurants and perhaps 10 bars and clubs. Second, although the barmaids could speak English, they were much older and not as attractive as the Chinese and Taiwanese women. And third, since I couldn't speak and understand much Japanese, I couldn't enjoy myself the same way I did in Taipei.

Maybe once a month, I would go with Bob and other shipmates to Fukuoka when I was on break for 56 hours. We usually visited a few nightclubs there, but it felt awkward for me because the Japanese couldn't speak English and guys were dancing with guys and girls with girls.

Diversions in Saitozaki, Japan

Bair maids in the Dragon Bar in Saitozaki

Bair maids in the Dragon Bar in Saitozaki

Ferry Boat from Saitozaki to Fukuoka

Preparing to Return to Taiwan

By the end of November 1969, I had had my fill of Japan and was ready to go back to Taiwan. The problem was that the command at Shulinkou didn't have anyone to replace me with at Hakata. There weren't any volunteers to replace me in Japan because Thanksgiving and the end-of-the-year holidays were coming up.

My last two months at Hakata were some of the longest days of my life. I finally could see the light at the end of the tunnel and my way out of Japan about the middle of January. My replacement had finally arrived, and I was busy training him to do my job.

Scroll to Continue

Around January 24, 1970, two of my shipmates who were also TAD from Shulinkou, and I left Hakata. After a six to eight-hour transit at Tachikawa Air Force Base in the Tokyo area, we all boarded a flight back to Taiwan after a short stop at Okinawa.

Upon touching down at Sungshan Airport, I was so happy that I almost kissed the ground after deplaning. I now had only five weeks to wind up my tour at Shulinkou and enjoy Taiwan, Taipei, and its nightlife that I had sorely missed for five months.

Fukuoka Today


Fukuoka, Japan Today

This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.

© 2015 Paul Richard Kuehn


Paul Richard Kuehn (author) from Udorn City, Thailand on March 07, 2015:

Mary, I'm glad you found this hub interesting and useful. As you can see, servicemen can live some unusual lives during their foreign tours of duty. Thank you very much for the votes.

Paul Richard Kuehn (author) from Udorn City, Thailand on March 06, 2015:

Au fait, I would be very interested in reading about your uncles' recollections of their WWII service time. I certainly hope my service memories are appreciated by my children and grandchildren. I'm happy you liked this hub and thank you greatly for the votes, pinning, and sharing on HP.

Mary Craig from New York on March 06, 2015:

I agree with Aufait. Most people have no idea what kind of life many soldiers live on their tour of duty. Of course for most of us foreign countries are well, foreign.

Your tour took you to places I'll never see and your glimpses into the people there are certainly interesting.

Vote up, useful, and interesting.

C E Clark from North Texas on March 06, 2015:

It's so good of you to share these memories with all of us here on HP and all of your other readers too.

I have some tapes I made when I talked to my uncles about 15 years ago about their service during WWII. My uncles have since died and I have been remiss in getting those tapes transferred to disc before they are damaged from age beyond salvaging.

Learning about things from people who actually lived during certain times is so much more interesting, I think. Very much enjoyed your memories and I know they must be highly valued by your children and eventually grandchildren when they're old enough to appreciate them.

Voted up, AI, pinned to Awesome HubPages, and shared on HP.

Related Articles