We all have access to the internet and use it for a variety of purposes, including researching information for school and college projects, downloading music, pictures, wallpapers, and screen savers, staying up to date on current events around the world, emails, instant messaging, chats, and many other things. Another advantage of the internet is the ability to learn practically anything. One can educate yourself from the comfort of your own home and obtain a degree via the internet. With today's technology, even the impossible appears to be possible.
eLearning or online learning essentially entails learning online through the courses that are available on the internet. Email, live lectures, and videoconferencing are all possible these days via the internet. This allows all participants to express their opinions on a specific topic and then discuss them further. They also provide static pages, such as course materials, which are printed for the benefit of all participants. One of the primary benefits of accessing web pages is that most web pages contain hyperlinks that will take you to another page, allowing you to access a vast amount of information on the internet.
Advantages of eLearning
The need to go physically to attend classes is reducing as eLearning becomes more and more widely adopted. With the various online courses available, you can learn while sitting at home.
- eLearning has been especially helpful during the time of the ongoing pandemic. Since most of the students across the globe were unable to attend their schools or colleges physically, eLearning made it possible for them to continue learning.
- eLearning allows for flexibility. Even if one misses a class, they can attend a recorded session later.
- Students can repeat their lessons as many times as they need to if they don't understand the concepts.
- Through eLearning, teachers can explain concepts to students using animations or other technologies, allowing them to grasp the concepts more clearly.
- The resources of eLearning are accessible from anywhere and at any time due to their convenience.
- Anyone can learn from a full-time student to a part-time worker to even a full time employee. Anyone can benefit from web-based learning.
- It is a very convenient and adaptable option; one does not have to rely on anyone for anything.
- One can engage with everyone online and clear any doubts you may have by using discussion forums and chat rooms.
- If one doesn't comprehend the material the first time around, you can rewind and see and hear the video instructions that are offered for audio and video learning.
Disadvantages of eLearning
Well, there aren't many downsides to eLearning, however like every coin has two sides, even eLearning has a few disadvantages. The biggest one being that you only gain knowledge on a theoretical level, and putting what you've learned into practise may be a little different. Face-to-face schooling is not available, which may be a concern for some.
- A physical classroom environment provides an opportunity to students to not only learn but interact socially with other students, which has a direct impact on the personality development of an individual. This is a challenge faced by many who are a part of eLearning as students cannot interact with one another in a physical setup.
- Constant exposure to screens while eLearning can cause strain on students' eyes.
- With eLearning, teachers may not be able to devote as much time to each student as they would in the physical classroom setup. Teachers may not be aware of whether or not students understand the subject.
- It can be monotonous to learn online on a computer or a smartphone.
- Even though we live in a digital world. some people still do not have access to high quality internet. Some people cannot even afford the facility of the internet. As a result, eLearning exacerbates the gap between rich and poor people.
- eLearning may not instill the same level of seriousness as traditional classroom learning. As a result, students may be unmotivated to pay attention in class.
- One may have to be digitally savvy enough to assist themselves or students around them to actually learn online.
- Since the internet has such diverse content, it becomes very easy for students to become sidetracked and distracted from their learning goals.
- Evaluation of students also can become challenging in online classes.
- There's also the issue of online learning programmes' level of security.
With the advent of technology, there have been significant advances in the field of learning. eLearning is one of the most revolutionary developments that have happened in the education sector. Due to the presence of eLearning, it is now possible for students to learn from anywhere they want without any hassle. eLearning has many advantages that cannot be matched by traditional learning. While there are many advantages, eLearning still has miles to go to overcome some of its challenges.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2021 PGupta0919