Debayan Ganguly (Dev Ayan) is an MBA with 2 years of experience in B2B sales. He likes to share his learnings through blogs and videos.
What is Digital Marketing?
Digital Marketing is a marketing method that uses electronic devices to communicate, promote, sell, increase awareness, etc.
When they use the internet, it is called Internet Marketing. People confuse Internet Marketing with Digital Marketing, but in fact, Internet Marketing is a subset of Digital Marketing.
Digital Marketing, in essence, is reaching customers on their laptops, mobile phones, tablets, and other gadgets using the internet or other digital communications. The channels to market digitally include email marketing, social media promotions, Web-based marketing, Search Engine advertisements, etc.
Let me explain each one here:
When you communicate your brand's products, offerings, or advertisements by sending emails to your subscribers, you are doing Email Marketing. You can increase your mail list by asking your visitors to subscribe to your newsletters. Email Marketing is the best way to reach out to your genuine customers.
Social Media Promotions:
When you are targetting people over social media like Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest, etc., you are using those media as the place to promote your products. You can either do a paid promotion, let the algorithm find your next customer, or grow organically using the right keywords.
Many companies related to your products have websites where people visit. Often they have a slot for advertisements on their pages. You can rent these slots and promote your products.
Search Engine Presence:
Having content that people can are searching for, you can reach your potential customers through search engines. Every day millions of search queries are made, and each gets hundreds of responses. But only a handful of those links get opened by the searchers. To be present there, you can either do a paid promotion or have your content Search Engine Optimised.
To understand SEO, continue onto the next segment.
What is SEO?
Before I get into what is search engine optimization, you need to understand a few terms:
After the algorithm has 'crawled' your website, it will 'index' your content. Indexing refers to storing your information with the engine's database. The indices can be retrieved whenever the searcher is trying to search those terms.
Search Engine Optimization is the method to optimize your content in such a way that you get noticed by the search engines. They can crawl and index your content for the searches, and you get traffic for your websites.
To answer the question
Is Digital Marketing all about SEO?
Clearly NO. Digital Marketing is not all about SEO.
Digital Marketing can be done through Banner Advertisements, Video Ads, Targetting Customers based on their internet activities, Email Marketing, Affiliate Marketing, Contextual Marketing, Social Media Marketing, Podcasts, etc.
When we try to do Content Marketing and want to Reach people on the search engines organically, we have the option of choosing between Paid Marketing and Search Engine Optimisation.
The methods to optimize changes every year. To appear above the search engines, you need to have:
1. Relevant Content: People searching are mainly looking for information or seeking knowledge. They need specific answers to their specific problems. The more relevant your content will be to their answers more visits you will have. Try focussing on long-chain keywords to attract your niches.
2. Quality Content: The content that you provide cannot be plagiarised, be of misguiding nature, or be of no worth to the readers. Provide content that cant satiate their needs, and they can get something out of your content. Even if you are talking about something which everyone talks about, try giving your point of view to it. Try giving a personal touch. People would love to consume something they haven't consumed before.
3. No Spam. Stop spamming everywhere. Most Social Media Platforms and outlets are there to provide an engaging platform to their members. Many platforms and engines have a no-spam rule, and the content having spam content would be removed instantly.
4. A good Domain Authority: The more people visit your website, your domain authority will grow. You can also increase DA by linking your content from other sources.
5. Necessary Use of Keywords: Don't overuse or underuse your keywords. Google discourages keyword overload and doesn't allow those content to appear on the search results. Underusing keywords will not help in indexing. So use keywords only if it fits your content. Don't try to stuff keyowrds.
So SEO is a method to achieve Content Marketing, which in turn is a subset of Digital Marketing.
So, the next time someone asks you whether Digital Marketing is all about SEO, you have a clear answer for them.
Check Out the Video
- What is Digital Marketing?| What is SEO?| Is Digital Marketing all about SEO?| Marketing Lesson - Yo
In this video, I talk about Digital Marketing. Explain the basic definitions of Digital Marketing, Search Engine Optimization (SEO). I explain a few terms re...
This content reflects the personal opinions of the author. It is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and should not be substituted for impartial fact or advice in legal, political, or personal matters.
© 2021 Debayan Ganguly
Debayan Ganguly (author) from Kolkata, India on July 20, 2021:
True that. Please help share the awareness. Also checkout the video in the links
Atul Sharma from Indore on July 20, 2021:
Yes, people are still confused between these. I always saw such kind of confusion when people discuss into it.