If you've ever felt the butterflies in your stomach before your client comes in for an eyelash extensions appointment, then you understand the pre-appointment anxiety that all lash artists experience from time to time. Here's what Healthline has to say about the meaning of the word anxiety.
Anxiety is your body's natural response to stress. It's a feeling of fear or apprehension about what's to come. The first day of school, going to a job interview, or giving a speech may cause most people to feel fearful and nervous. - Healthline.com
Feeling nervous before your client arrives is more common than you would expect because there is so much pressure to provide a perfect set of eyelash extensions and an amazing client experience. Being your own boss as a lash artist comes with so many responsibilities that the pressure of it all can weigh heavily on your mind.
Anxiety can cause some unpleasant symptoms such as shaky hands, excessive sweating, stress, fear and doubt, and butterflies in the stomach feeling. Dealing with this physical and mental response is extremely important when you are providing luxury beauty services to your clients. Clients can sense your nervous energy and become anxious during the service, creating a difficult situation for you. We all know what happens when a client gets nervous right? They begin to twitch their eyes and fidget which makes doing your job so much harder.
Fortunately, there are many things you can do to calm yourself and build confidence in your eyelash extensions skills so that you can avoid these uncomfortable effects of anxiety before appointments.
Tips for Handling Anxiety Before Your Eyelash Extensions Appointment Begins
The time you have before starting your eyelash extensions service is perfect for creating an atmosphere of calm for yourself and your client. The following are a few ideas that could help you deal with the pre-appointment anxiety:
- Start the day off right by waking up early after a good night of rest and eating a solid breakfast. Make sure to avoid caffeine. Caffeine can make your hands shaky and will make placing eyelash extensions extremely difficult for you. If you really need a coffee in the morning, consider switching to decaffeinated coffee and move your caffeine intake up to later in the day.
- Arrive at work prepared for your day of eyelash extensions appointments and give yourself enough time to get your service room set up. Make sure your supplies are organized, sanitized and ready to start before your client shows up.
- Listen to music that lifts your mood and boosts your confidence. Music will help you and your client relax and enjoy the appointment
- Practice placing a few lashes on a set of practice lashes or make some volume fans to get some of that muscle memory back before your day starts. This will help you get through the first clumsy extension placements before your client arrives.
- Complete a consultation with your client before the day of their appointment so you know everything you need to know before you start. A consultation will help you learn what your client wants and gives you an idea of how they are feeling about their upcoming eyelash extensions appointment. It will also allow you to tell your client what they can expect from you during the appointment and answer any questions that they may have.
- Take care of your mental and physical needs before the appointment starts: drink water, use the restroom, think positive thoughts and breathe deeply for a few minutes.
- Trust your skills, knowledge and intuition. Remember that you are the professional and you are there to give your client the best experience while they are in your chair. Feeling confident in yourself will go a long way to easing your client's anxiety as well.
Anxiety Management Tip: Eyelash Extensions Consultation
Tips for Dealing with Anxiety During Your Eyelash Extensions Appointment
So your client has arrived, filled out the necessary paperwork and is getting comfortable on your lash bed. Here's what to do if you're still feeling nervous at this stage in the eyelash extensions appointment.
- Focus on the fundamentals of your eyelash extensions skills. During your training and research afterwards you hopefully will have learned everything you need to do to complete a successful eyelash extensions service. Make sure you are following the correct steps and educating your clients as you work.
- Listen to calming music for yourself and clients. You want them to be so relaxed that they can fall asleep. This is how you know you've made them comfortable enough to enjoy their experience in your lash room.
- Map out your plan for your eyelash extensions set to make it easier to work without having to think too much about what lengths you are placing. Doing this will help you get into a rhythm and will make applying eyelash extensions easier.
- Keep yourself focused on the service. Try to keep your appointments timed out properly so that you are not rushing through sets later in the day and pushing appointment times back. Setting an alarm on your phone for 30-40 minutes before you would like the set to be finished will help you work on your speed. Simply knowing you have that alarm set and a buffer of 30 minutes to complete the set will help ease your mind.
Tips for Dealing With Anxiety After You Have Completed Your Eyelash Extensions Appointment
When you have finished giving your client a gorgeous set of eyelash extensions, it is important to remain calm and professional. You may be feeling nervous about their reaction to their new look or how long the set of eyelashes has taken you to complete. Feeling confident at the end of the appointment will put your clients at ease and give them some positive energy so they leave your beauty room feeling confident themselves.
- Use positive body language when speaking to your client. Exuding confidence starts with your smile and posture. Show them that you gave them the best service they could ever ask for and share with them how amazing their eyelashes look.
- Avoid asking questions like: Do you like them? Is it OK? Is there anything you want changed? These types of questions will make them feel like you didn't do your best work and will cause some insecurity. The last thing a client wants to feel when leaving your lash room is insecure after paying for a luxury service.
- Go over your aftercare instructions with your client verbally and offer them a physical copy of the instructions. Helping your client understand how to take care of their investment in eyelash extensions will ensure they are well taken care of. Your client will appreciate the extra effort you take in making sure they are able to keep their lashes looking beautiful for a long time.
- Remind them of your policies and guarantee of your work. Most lash artists offer their clients a complimentary fill if your client experiences excessive fall-out of the extensions in the first 3 days after their eyelash extensions appointment. Have a clear policy stated on your website and social media.
- Pre-book your client's next appointment before they leave. Having their next appointment booked will allow them to get the appointment slot that works best for them so you can avoid the back and forth conversations of finding them an appointment time when you are fully booked.
- Follow-up with your client 2 days after their appointment to see how they are loving their eyelash extensions. Having a follow-up conversation after their appointment shows your client that you truly care about them receiving the absolute best service from you. This gives them the opportunity to offer you valuable constructive criticism so you can continue learning and improving. Doing this before the 3 day guarantee will give them enough time to let you know if anything is wrong or feels off. Most clients will not speak up, so giving them that opportunity is a great way to keep them happy and coming back as a loyal client.
Finding ways to calm your nerves before appointments will set you up for success in your eyelash extensions business. Furthermore, experiencing anxiety and nervousness before eyelash extensions appointments is totally normal. Even seasoned eyelash extensions artists feel the pre-appointment anxiety from time to time.
Don't beat yourself up for struggling with these uncomfortable anxious feelings. You can get through it and go on to have a rewarding career in lash artistry. Remember the reason you started in this industry to begin with and let that motivate you.
Share your best anxiety calming tips in the comments below. Thanks for reading and don't forget to share this with your lash artist friends.
Learn More about Managing Anxiety for Eyelash Extensions Technicians
- MINDSET MAGIC | Podcast on Spotify
Listen to MINDSET MAGIC on Spotify. Welcome everyone! This podcast is a combination of mindset, business and more.
- 5 Steps to Starting a Successful Eyelash Extensions Business - Presentation
Learn how to start a successful eyelash extensions business with this simple 5 step guide based on The Ultimate Guide to Starting a Successful Eyelash Extensions Business in 2021.
- 9 Tips to Manage Anxiety
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2021 Mellisa Lozinski