Ms. Inglish is a successful Employment & Training pro, setting Midwest regional records with tens of thousands placed in gainful employment.
Americans as a whole live longest in Hawaii, a beautiful Pacific cluster of islands. Find out why and you might want to relocate to this exotic locale.
Hawaii Business Trends in the 2020s
In Hawaii, many jobs are available and increasing in job listings in the following order:
- Skilled Labor
Compared to the Continental USA, the island chain has experienced more job creation in IT (information technology) and healthcare industries than any of the lower 48 states during the decade of 2010 through 2019. This includes a starting increase under the Obama Administration and a continued upsurge under President Trump.
Jobs such as ship engineers nearly triples in 2014 alone, with a near-200% increase again by 2018. Commercial fishing and international trade expansions make future increases realistic as well.
Sailors, marine oilers, marine engineers, naval architects, ship's officers, motorboat operator, and crew positions provide job seekers the greatest number of job openings in a maritime field.
Computer and IT Jobs
Several IT management jobs are listed in the highest demand occupational titles to expand in numbers from 2020 through 2024.
Healthcare positions (especially travel positions) and skilled labor occupations continue to increase, joined by travel and tourism jobs, particularly in accommodations and entertainment.
Top Hiring Employers in Hawaii
The top employers listing largest numbers of job openings for Hawaii overall include:include:
- Kaiser Permanente- Healthcare and medical work in many different positions at a range of educational levels. Travel Nursing is another good option in Hawaii, for travel nurses, doctors, physical therapists, and others. Higher pay, increased benefits.
- Hawaii Pacific Health
- State of Hawaii
- Bank of Hawaii
- Booz Allen Hamilton
- Castle Medical Center
- Kamehameha Schools
- Robert Half International
- Hawaii Medical Service
- Hilton Brands
- BAE Systems for IT, electronics
Jobs Set To Increase Most Through 2020
- Home Health and Personal Care Aides; Patient Care Techs
- Computer Software Engineers
- Medical and Public Health Social Workers
- Cargo and Freight Agents
- Social and Human Service Assistants
- Personal Financial Advisors
- Water and Liquid Waste Treatment Operators
- Physical Therapists
- Nursing Aides, Orderlies
- Respiratory Therapists
- Hairdressers, Hairstylists, etc.
- Maritime: Captains, Mates, and Pilots
- Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants
- Interpreters and Translators
- Pharmacy Technicians
Highest Demand Jobs 2018 - 2020
- Engineers in Electronics, Mechanics, Project Management, Combat Systems
- Nurses: RNs and LPNs
- Physicians: MDs and DOs
- Software Engineers
- Sales related jobs: Includes medical sales and sales of Caterpillar machinery and equipment.
- Military support jobs in the US Army and US Air Force.
- Teachers for Chinese and English Languages
- Network Administrators
- Jobs with the State of Hawaii
- Maritime Jobs
Recent Summary of Jobs Advertised:
- In December 2013, over 7,200 jobs were advertised for Hawaii locations.
- In August 2014, over 20,200 jobs were available in Hawaii.
- A small increase in advertisements is evident on the chart below in January 2015.
- By September 2018, job listings increased from over 12,000 to 16,000.
- By January 2020, advertised jobs reached the number of 17,400.
Top Job Search Source
ALTRES - Hawaii's largest, most reliable staffing services and HR outsourcing: A Kamaaina company since 1969, ALTRES staffing is Hawaii's Employment Expert providing jobs and staffing solutions on all islands.
Top Jobs Advertised
The Easter and Spring Holiday Season brings an increase in tourism related jobs each year to Hawaii, but from 2016 - 2018, jobs listings increased throughout the year in these job titles:
- Marriott International jobs
- Babysitters and Nannies
- Zippy's Restaurant and Napoleon's Bakery staffs are needed in a dozen major cities around the Islands. Positions includes cooks, bakers, hosts, sushi chefs, counter clerks, and others. This may be the fastest growing company in the Islands. Zippy's was named Hawaii's best family and late-night restaurant in 2018 by Hawaii's Best 2018. February 1st was named Zippy's Restaurant Day throughout the state in 2012.
- Grocery and dining personnel, all levels.
- Pharmacy Technicians
- Insurance-Related jobs
- Retail Salespeople and Managers
- Managers and Assistant Managers in many fields
- FCH/Zippy's jobs
- State of Hawaii jobs
Comedy: Don't Sneeze When You Eat Saimin (Noodles)
Top Employers, According to Number of Annual Job Openings Filled
- Hawaii Medical Services, also the second largest employer statewide when considering yearly revenues, according to Hawaii Business.
- Army Installation Management Command
- Schofield Barracks
- State of Hawaii
- University of Hawaii
- Marriott International
- Bank of Hawaii
- Queen's Medical Center
- Tripler Army Medical Center
- St. Francis Healthcare
- Honolulu Police Department
- Kapiolani Medical Center
- Straub Clinic and Hospital
- TheBus - Public Transportation
- Hilton Hawaiian Hotel Resort
Additional Important Large Employers
- Battleship Missouri Memorial is located at Pearl Harbor at 63 Cowpens St, Honolulu, HI 96818. Call: (808) 455-1600
- Hilo Hattie seeks workers committed to "Aloha" culture. They state, "Hilo Hattie, The Store of Hawaii is the world's largest retailer of Hawaiian fashion, food, gifts and fun with stores in Hawaii, California, Florida, and Nevada." recognized many times as the Best Place for Hawaiian Fashions." This is a large retail sector of the Travel and Tourism Industry in the islands. Visit the website at www.hilohattie.com/. There was a real Hattie and she was a famous local actress, singer, dancer, and businessperson.
- Hoku Corporation (Hoku Scientific, Inc.) produces cutting edge fuel cell technologies. They are a subsidiary of Tianwei New Energy Holdings Co., Ltd.
International Sporting Contests
- Sumo Hawaii: Sumo Wrestling, a Japanese sport, is still popular in Hawaii and many islanders as well as other non-Japanese men have done well in large traditional tournaments in Japan. Fewer young men are interested in training for sumo these days, but sumo events still draw visitors.
- World Ironman Championships
College and High School Sports
- Hawaii Rainbow Warriors - Honolulu; University of Hawaii Athletics Teams. This is one of the few universities in the nation to have more women's teams than men's teams. However, two teams are co-ed as well: sailing and cheerleading. The Rainbow Warriors Football represents the U of H in NCAA Division I FBS.
- Hawaii High School Athletic Association
- Oahu Interscholastic Association (OIA)
Arenas & Stadiums
- Aloha Stadium
- Cannon Activities Center
- Les Murakami Stadium
- Lahaina Civic Center
- Stan Sheriff Center
- Neal Blaisdell Center
- Vidinha Stadium
- Waipio Soccer Stadium
- War Memorial Complex - Maui
- War Memorial Gymnasium
- War Memorial Stadium - Located in Wailuku, Hawaii
- Waikiki Natatorium War Memorial
Top Hawaii Colleges
- Brigham Young University, Hawaii
- Chaminade University
- Hawaii Community College
- Hawaii Pacific University
- Honolulu Community College
- Honolulu University
- Kapiolani Community College
- Kauai Community College
- Leeward Community College
- Maui Community College
- University of Hawaii System: 10 Locations and online studies.
- University of the Nations: Kona, Hawaii
- Wayland Baptist University
- Windward Community College
- These Are the U.S. States Where People Live the Longest Lives
- What Hawaii Can Teach The Rest of America About Living
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2007 Patty Inglish MS
Comments & Additions
Patty Inglish MS (author) from USA and Asgardia, the First Space Nation on November 29, 2014:
At this moment, I find over 500 sales representative job listings for Hawaii, largely in medical devices, pharmaceuticals, and solar energy, but nothing for chemical manufacturing sales reps. There is an Upstream Chemicals Sales Manager position related to oil fields, open at Mackinnon Bruce in Honolulu, but the job is in Houston, Texas.
conrad on November 29, 2014:
AA in Hospitality Management & an AA in Chemical Technology with over 10 years experience dealing with international sales reps and customers for a Philadelphia based chemical manufacturer.
Anything in Hawaii related in that field?
Been to Hawaii in 2011, loved it & am planning on moving soon.......assuming there is work.
And since I work with international sales reps and customers on a daily basis, a change is not out of the question.
Patty Inglish MS (author) from USA and Asgardia, the First Space Nation on August 07, 2014:
And I learned recently that Hawaii is the state were Americans live the longest!
verina k. on August 07, 2014:
very interesting love the information and questions / comments. Good job makes me wont to move lol
Patty Inglish MS (author) from USA and Asgardia, the First Space Nation on December 27, 2013:
I don't see it advertised as frequently as other positions listed in Hawaii, but feel that it is probably consistent in need among tourists. During peak vacation months, the need for hair stylists should increase there.
Amber on December 27, 2013:
What about the beauty industry such as hair stylist?
Patty Inglish MS (author) from USA and Asgardia, the First Space Nation on December 09, 2013:
As of now, jobs are open most often in IT related work in Healthcare and Military sectors.
Matthew on September 12, 2013:
My degree is in IT/Business Analysis and I have some experience working in mental health. Planning to prep now and move to Oahu in 3 years. Recommendations on training / skills needed
Patty Inglish MS (author) from USA and Asgardia, the First Space Nation on April 06, 2013:
Hi there - Decide where you'd like to move in Hawaii and look online at the county WIA jobs site. The staff there can suggest jobs and refer you to other resources as well. The website is https://www.hirenethawaii.com/vosnet/Default.aspx
Much success to you!
Heidi on April 06, 2013:
I just found your page. Great Page... My husband is a Vet and he has his BA degree in Public Service. We would like to move to Hawaii and he would like to get a government job. Can you give me any pointers on how to make this happen?
Patty Inglish MS (author) from USA and Asgardia, the First Space Nation on January 16, 2013:
Possibly, but advertised jobs for techs to do those tasks are low in Jan. 2013, around 45 jobs - so, the market may be down for these items.
Satchmo17 on January 15, 2013:
I repair laser printers and sell rebuild laser printers and toner. Is this something that's needed on Hawaii?
manashi12 on November 16, 2012:
I have been a property manager in this industry for over a decade and love the idea of moving my skills to Hawaii. Any input is much appreciated. www.coachhire.uk.com
alexanderjade on November 14, 2012:
Many of the people I work with keep talking about just "getting away" from the daily grind of their job and move to the island.
You may have made their decision much easier!
Patty Inglish MS (author) from USA and Asgardia, the First Space Nation on June 13, 2012:
Hi, Stephanie. I don't have that information, but have you tried LinkedIn for Honolulu-related discussion groups. That might be the thing to do to find out.
Stephanie on June 13, 2012:
I'm curious to know about the multi-family industry (apartments)in Hawaii? I have been a property manager in this industry for over a decade and love the idea of moving my skills to Hawaii. Any input is much appreciated.
Paul Bisquera from Los Angeles on January 04, 2012:
Great job, Patty! Loved your hub. Being from Hawaii myself, it's not to see this type of important information. You can be sure I'll refer to your article should anyone who is interested in moving to Hawaii has questions about employers and job trends.
bevan from South Australia on December 22, 2011:
(been twice, second time on honeymoon., been to 4 islands so far keen to do another island in 2012. keen for some more ALOHA time. Praying for my lovely wife to be keen to move to Wakkikikikikikiki so I can teach Surfing and SUP ing.
TattooKitty from Hawaii on October 07, 2011:
I definitely agree with the boom in home/personal health care professionals here in Hawaii. Enrollment in the nursing program has greatly increased within the last few years. Yet the job market varies from island to island. Although I'm sure Oahu has many job openings, the job market here on the Big Island has been pretty slim lately :(
stacey on September 09, 2011:
i'm just sayibg hawaii is awesome and beautiful
Patty Inglish MS (author) from USA and Asgardia, the First Space Nation on December 22, 2009:
I'll be updating job trends for Hawaii soon, so check back often, Heather. Merry Christmas and I hope you make it back to your favorite place very soon. Thanks so much for commenting.
Heather Jones on December 22, 2009:
I lived on Oahu, in Kailua for 14yrs. Five years ago we moved to the Mainland and I feel it was the biggest mistake I am homesick every day for Hawaii. This site will be saved in my favories, you have given me hope that I will make it back home where my 5yr old daughter was born, she may not remember Hawaii but she see's pictures and knows that is her home. Thank you and Aloha Heather I love you HAWAII!!
Carolyn Blacknall from Houston, Texas on November 07, 2009:
Great hub! Great information on the job situation in Hawaii. I like hubs about Hawaii. I hope to go there someday. Very good photo! Keep up the good work.- Carol
Patty Inglish MS (author) from USA and Asgardia, the First Space Nation on October 06, 2009:
Soem updates are in place. On 10/06/09, about 8,000 jobs were open via Internet listings.
mhajnal on July 14, 2009:
I have a dream of moving to Hawaii, and this page helps a lot to make my dream come true. Thanks!
Patty Inglish MS (author) from USA and Asgardia, the First Space Nation on June 12, 2008:
Congratulations on your move to Oahu. Some of this information should come in very useful for you. Best of success!
KelleyMari from Ohio on June 12, 2008:
Aloha! Thanks for the information. My husband and I are planning a move to Oahu in the next year. He runs an Outsourced IT company in Ohio and will be closing up shop to move. This will be a big help to us as we get closer!
Brilliant Hub -
Patty Inglish MS (author) from USA and Asgardia, the First Space Nation on February 28, 2008:
Hello PegasusTeam. I'd like to move to the islands, but it looks like I'd have to run away to sea in order to do so. Thanks for your comments!
PegasusTeam from Hawaii on February 28, 2008:
Nice Hub! Very good information. Thanks
mclaire74 from General Santos City on September 25, 2007:
Very informative. Your article ignited my desire to visit this place together with my family as soon as we can save enough for this. When? only God Knows... I'll tell you the moment this dream would come true.