Precy loves to write about many topics including Filipino dishes, Filipino culture, legends and traditions.
So you were planning on selling online and is now scouting the web on how to start selling on Facebook Marketplace. If you are like me who have spent a good amount of time watching videos and learning as much as you can before listing your first item because you're afraid of making mistakes, don't be.
It's been 3 months since I started on FB Marketplace and it isn't hard using the platform as I anticipated it to be, it is easy. If this will be the first time you're going to sell online and the shipping part scares you too, I will be sharing how to print shipping labels here along with things I've learned from my experience in the past three months.
Listing Your First Item On Facebook Marketplace
You cannot list or sell an item without logging in to Facebook, and you can list items to sell from your computer or from your phone. Here's how to list an item to sell on Facebook Marketplace from your phone.
1. From Facebook, click on Marketplace icon.
2. Click on Selling to list an item.
3. Click Create New Listing and choose Items. That is if you're listing an item of course.
4. Start by adding photos. Upload clear photos of front and back of the item you are listing.
5. Add a title and the price. Choose the best category for your item and the item's condition (is it new or a used item)?
6. Fill in the description box. Describe the item and also it helps adding measurements so the buyer wouldn't be surprise of the item's size once they got the item. I also always add how the item will be shipped — through USPS, in a bubble mailer since most of the time I use bubble mailers.
7. Add tags and click Next.
8. Add your location and choose delivery method. Are you going to just ship the item or will you ship and do local pick up? You can also just do local pick up only if you prefer that.
I always set my delivery method to shipping only since I am more comfortable shipping the item than setting a meeting place with the buyer or giving my home address for pick-up.
9. Now you need to choose your shipping method. Either use a prepaid shipping label or use your own shipping label. After choosing your shipping method, you need to enter the package details. How much does the package weight? You may wan to weigh your package to get the correct weight of the item once it's boxed or in a bubble mailer to be shipped.
10. Choose your shipping carrier next. You can also cover the cost of shipping by checking the little box below after choosing your shipping carrier. Free shipping helps entice buyers, but consider adding a little bit more on your item's price if you will do free shipping since the shipping cost will be deducted from your payout. USPS First Class costs $3.75 for an item that is .5 lbs.
You will see how much you will earn with the shipping cost, selling fee, and state tax already deducted before going to the next page.
11. Would you like to allow buyers to offer a price on your item? You can allow this on this last step before saving your listing. Click Save. Your item will be reviewed before it appears on Facebook Marketplace.
Shipping Label Through Marketplace
Using a prepaid shipping label through Facebook Marketplace is easy. You will be asked to choose the size of the shipping label the first time you list an item. But you can always change it before printing just in case you need to. I'm using bubble mailers that are 4 x 7 inches so the size I use for these mailers is set to 4 x 6 inches.
Here's how to print a shipping label from FB Marketplace on your computer when you get an order.
1. Go to Facebook Marketplace by clicking Marketplace icon.
2. Click on Your Account. You'll see order/s waiting to be dispatched on the top right corner.
3. Another way to access orders waiting to be shipped is, from Your Account under Marketplace on the left by clicking Orders With Delivery. Either way, this will get you to order/s waiting to be shipped.
4. Click on any of the orders waiting to be shipped to print the prepaid shipping label.
5. Print the prepaid shipping label, also check the shipping label size before printing.
6. Cut the shipping label and attached it on the box or bubble mailer that you are going to use. I did ask the lady at the post office with tape over barcodes since I came across a post online saying be careful with the barcodes. It is ok to have tapes on the barcode as long as the tape is clear.
Using Your Own Shipping Label
If you're not using a prepaid shipping label since you chose to use your own, you have to generate your own shipping label. If it's your first one and don't know any site to create one, I suggest visiting Pirateship. Using the site is free but you will need to create an account first to be able to access the site and create shipping labels for Facebook Marketplace.
1. After signing up, create a shipping label by clicking Create A Shipping Label from the top.
2. Type the buyer's shipping details and enter your shipping details under Ship From. With the buyer's shipping details, you can also copy paste the shipping information from FB Marketplace so you don't have to enter the details manually.
3. Choose under Type of Packaging how you'll send the item. Are you using a box? A bubble mailer? I always choose the second option since I use bubble mailers to ship my items.
4. Enter the measurements under Package Dimensions. You will also have to weigh your item to enter the package weight. I purchase a weighing scale just for this which measures pounds, ounce and grams.
5. Click Get Rates button on the bottom right corner.
7. The cheapest cost will be on display but you can scroll down to view other choices under Choose a Service.
8. Click Print Label after paying for the amount.
9. A window will pop up with the shipping label. Click on the printer icon to print.
10. Click on Print.
Marking Item as Shipped
If you're using a prepaid label, the buyer will receive a notification that the order has been shipped once you print the label. Now, if you're using your own shipping label, here is how to mark the item shipped on Facebook Marketplace from the computer.
To mark an item shipped —
1. Go to Marketplace then Your Account.
2. Click either View Orders from the top right or Orders With Delivery on the left.
3. Click on the item that you shipped under Waiting To Be Dispatched.
4. Click on Mark As Dispatched.
5. Choose how you shipped the order under Delivery Company. Did you ship it through USPS, FedEx, or UPS?
6. Enter the tracking number and hit Save. The buyer will receive a notification that the item has been shipped.
Marking Item as Shipped from Phone
To mark an item shipped from your phone, which I prefer by the way since I always access Facebook through my phone and use the computer to just print shipping labels —
1 Click on Marketplace icon and click Your Account.
2. Click Shipping Orders under Selling.
3. Click on the order you shipped under Shipping Orders.
4. Click on Mark As Shipped.
5. Choose your shipping carrier by clicking on the drop down menu.
6. Enter the tracking number and make sure to double check to avoid mistakes.
7. Click Save. You'll see the order details and status next. You'll receive a notification that your Marketplace order is marked as shipped.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.