- Every time you ask some on how to become a good digital marketer, they will try to sell you some random course or training.
- Digital marketing experience doesn’t matter at all.
- People who say 10+ years of experience and not keeping up to date with what works in today’s world then they aren’t the right ones to teach.
- You need to learn what works in today’s market in terms of SEO and Social media.
- If someone uses the terms like directory submission, article submission, or classified submissions, they are still stuck with 2012 techniques.
- If the place you are learning from concentrates more on link building techniques and not content marketing, then it won’t give you value in the real world.
Few of the trustworthy places and ways to learn digital marketing -
- Get an internship in the Digital Marketing Agency (Even if it's unpaid). You’ll learn what works for websites and what is a blackhat.
- Start listening to industry leaders podcasts like
- Marketing School - Neil Patel
- The Seo Singh Show - Karan Singh
- Marketing Speak - Stephen Spencers
3. Start watching income school youtube channel and learn the basics of SEO and how to write a killer blog post.
P.S.- No offense to anyone selling their courses in this answer but it's kind of important that the new Digital Marketing Generation stops the spamming on Search Engines and Social Media Groups.
As the world is getting more and more digitized in every respect, Digital Marketing is a booming career option today. With striking features like cost-effectiveness, instant response, flexibility, convenience, effectiveness, Digital Marketing is making a strong impact in the world of Marketing and Advertising. Especially, the start-ups prefer going digital to market their brand, products and services. Today ‘Digital Marketing’ and ‘Marketing’ both are becoming synonymous.
Search Engine Optimization is an organic (unpaid) method of improving the ranking of web pages and their visibility on various search engines such as Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. Optimizing webpages is a very vital aspect of Digital Marketing.
Another method of increasing the visibility of webpages is through sponsored placements and advertising. SEM specialists should know how to run PPC campaigns, how to purchase traffic through paid search listing to maximize visibility of web pages on search engines.
Social Media Marketing is gaining a lot of popularity with social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest and others. A good digital marketer should know how to harness the power of social media to market the brand image of the company.
4. Email Marketing:
As it is important to engage your customers and leads with your brand, many organizations send periodic newsletters, email campaigns, autoresponders to its subscribers in order to keep them updated with new products/services added or anything worth sharing.
5. Mobile Marketing:
More and more people are going mobile. Smartphones have become very trendy among all age groups. Mobile marketing provides instant updates, promo offers and information of customers’ interests. A person needs to be a mobile freak to get into mobile marketing.
6. Web Analytics:
Web Analytics is a very interesting aspect of digital marketing which involves traffic analysis, business and market research and enhancing the website traffic. For instance, Google Analytics gives a great insight into how your website is working.
Tips to make a career in Digital Marketing:
If you are keen in getting into Digital marketing, either as a fresher or if you want to switch to digital marketing, here how you can start:
1. Read a lot on Digital Marketing:
Just search for digital marketing or blog posts on digital marketing on Google, I am sure you will come across several useful blog post and articles explaining what digital marketing is all about. Through these, you will learn the basics, the strategies, techniques and various aspects of digital marketing. Read blog posts from Hubspot, Seomoz, Web Marketing Academy, Google, Unbounce, and so on to understand the world of marketing you are getting into. These blogs are very rich in information and content.
2. Attend Webinars/Events related to Digital Marketing, whenever possible:
Another way to learn more about Digital Marketing is by attending conferences, webinars and all those events which are related to Digital Marketing. Quite often major cities have meet-ups, where digital experts share their knowledge with people who are new to this arena. At such events, you also get the opportunity to meet like-minded people.
3. Choose your Specialization:
Though a general knowledge of all the areas of Digital Marketing is useful, once you have decided to get into Digital Marketing, you need to specialize. Are you passionate about writing articles or doing data analysis? OR Are you interested in SEO or Web Designing? Getting into a specific area of Digital Marketing will help you in getting more job offers than just having a basic knowledge. Companies are looking for experts in SEO, SEM, Email marketing, Web analysis and so on. And gradually, you can add other stuff to your knowledge bank!
4. Get Set Go!
Once you have decided your career path in Digital Marketing, just start working towards it. You can begin by writing a blog post, or creating a website or a web banner ad or improve your social presence, or doing traffic analysis. Initial few months, you will face technical issues in dealing with these aspects, however gradually, you will master the concepts and gain more confidence. Whether you are a blogger, an SEO Specialist or a Web Analyst, what you need is a lot of passion and creativity, as marketing itself requires constant innovation and ‘out of the box’ thinking. Working smart, keeping yourself updated with latest information, excellent communication skills, are key to success.
5. Focus On Business!
Whatever marketing strategy you may follow, at the end of the day it should be business-oriented and should take the business a step ahead. All you technical knowledge is of no use if it is not driving the business. So, as a digital marketer, try to acquire the business acumen needed to implement the best marketing strategy.
With a lot of data analysis happening throughout the world, we have entered the era of Big Data!
Learn the building blocks of how the digital marketing world works.
Most people when they start out in learning digital marketing, they become too laser-focused without seeing the big picture first.
For example, “Lots of people are on Facebook. Let’s start a Facebook ad campaign with $5/day to try it out.”
Then they find out “Facebook and this digital marketing thing doesn’t work” and they quit.
In reality, it isn’t that simple.
What they know is just one part of a very huge puzzle. That part being they found a marketing channel (Facebook). But anyone can find a marketing channel. The next step is learning how that marketing channel works.
- Why do people go on Facebook
- How to create a good Facebook ad
- How does copywriting work
- How to create a high-converting landing page
- What is your sales funnel after conversion
- How much should you pay per click or per 1,000 impression
AND what separates the beginners from the pros are the pros understand what are the other marketing channels out there - SEO, AdWords, Email marketing, etc.
AND these digital marketers understand how these other marketing channels work. For example, in SEO you have to understand:
- What types of people go on Google vs Facebook
- How does Google work
- What are their ranking algorithms - Panda, Penguin, Rank Brain, etc.
- How do you build a well-optimised website that ranks well
- What type of keywords to choose based on the overall company’s strategy
- What type of pages are the most useful for each search query so your bounce rate reduces
Then you repeat this for other marketing channels (LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram, Bing Ads, email marketing, Google Display Network).
The digital marketing world is huge and what separates the newbies from the pros are they understand every single piece of the digital marketing world and creates a strategy that will get the best results (leads, traffic, sales) at the best ROI because they don’t follow their competitors in starting Facebook marketing.
AND there is another level of digital marketers. These are the best of the best. These are the growth hackers. These are the people that can generate results that makes you go “I’m not sure if he is lying about the results.” or “Is that even possible?”.
Of course, to be one, you have to understand how all the digital marketing channels work first.
Start there and you’ll be on your way.
- The use of digital marketing in the digital era not only allows for brands to market their products and services but also offers online customer support through 24x7 services to make the customer feel supported and valued.
- The use of social media in digital marketing interaction allows brands to receive both positive and negative feedback from their customers as well as determine what media platforms work well for them.
- Digital marketing provides increased advantage for brands and businesses. It is now common for consumers to post feedback online through social media sources, blogs, and websites about their experience with a product or brand.
Not surprisingly, billions of marketing dollars spent on traditional channels is already starting to shift to digital marketing campaigns and this will continue to increase as the Web matures.