Before pursuing a career in psychology and preventative medicine, Patty was the manager of an award-winning McDonald's unit in the Midwest.
The First McDonald's Franchise
A Growing California Economy
The City of Fresno is among the Top 25 Best Medium-Sized Cities in America for Jobs and Business, according to economic and business magazines like CNNMoney and Forbes.
A hallmark of a healthy, growing local economy is the fact that the industry of employment services rates as one of the top three in high-growth industries in the Fresno area.
The services of employment professionals grow in demand when employers need more workers for new positions created and for replacement workers, and when new businesses open their doors. Construction on new commercial buildings is healthy in Fresno, indicating new places of business that will need more employees.
High growth in waste management service businesses shows the market area's dedication to sustainable services, waste reduction, and alternative energy sources.
Unemployment in Fresno reduced from 18% in 2010 to less than 5.8% in 2019. many workers are needed.
Fast Food Fast Growth
The growth of restaurants in Fresno indicates a increase in discretionary spending among residents and commuters, and helps to build the tourism and hospitality sector.
New employees in Fresno often use the services of restaurants and as numbers of employees increase, restaurants should become busier and additional new restaurants should open.
Besides McDonald's in and around Fresno, the San Ramon Franchise Office is hiring many new people to work at area Pizza Huts. Taco Bell restaurants are also hiring more workers.
The first McDonald's franchise opened in Fresno. Today, many 24-hour McDonald's are successful in this city.
Population Growth and Hot Weather
From 2012 to 2013 along, the city population increased by over 3,200 people or 6.3% and while this is a healthy increase, the city still is not crowded.
The weather includes hot summer days with some above 105° F, handled by the city government by opening cooling centers around town in community centers where residents and visitors can take a break and enjoy some air conditioning. In addition, residents can ride the air conditioned, green/sustainable energy, city buses free of charge to and from these centers.
The Fresno FAX bus system connects with the City of Clovis Stageline buses. Clovis calls their ADA bus services "The Roundup", the western names recalling the California Gold Rush and early transportation services.
Nearby the City of Fresno, Clovis was recognized in the state as the Number One Place to Raise Families. Transportation is good overall in Fresno County, and the city supports Amtrak, Greyhound, and two airports. Approximately two dozen taxi services also operate in Fresno.
The city supports three official historic districts, with several additional districts under rview and refurbishing. The three official districts historically important are:
- Chandler Field/Fresno Municipal Airport - One the main airport of the city/county, Chandler serves as an executive airport.
- The Porter Tract - Construction began during WWI for a college and a high school among residential units. Most of the residences were built under the supervision of John Porter, who lived to be 94 and died in 1970. All his homes were two-storied and of a similar design.
- The Wilson Island - Largely built between 1910 and 1984, thee 80 homes are of the Period Revival and Prairie architecture styles, the latter being made popular by Frank Lloyd Wright. Not really an island, the neighborhood is named for the family that began its development and a pattern of dead end streets.
- Additional refurbished areas include a Cathedral District, a Craftsman Era set of residences, a Warehouse District, a Park District, and an area recalling the original entrance to Fresno along Van Ness Avenue, as well as others.
Map of Nearby National Parks and Forests
Local Places to Visit
At least three national parks and two national forests are located north and east of the Fresno metro area. The parks off year round activities and relaxation in nature.
Nearby places to enjoy:
- Adobe Springs, California: One of the best spring water companies in the nation bottles waters from the local springs.
- Fig Garden Village Shopping Center. 790 W. Shaw Ave., Suite 260 Fresno CA 93704.
- Forestiere Underground Gardens. 5021 W Shaw Ave, Fresno CA 93722.
- Fresno County Blossom Trail. Blooms are most visible during the first and second quarters of each year. it is located east of Highway 99.
- Gilroy Garlic Festival and Local Farm Markets: The Gilroy Garlic Festival is one of the largest celebrations of food and fun in the USA since 1978. South of San Francisco, with free RV parking and a free shuttle from parking lots to the festival.
- Shinzen Friendship Garden Inc. in Woodward Park AT 114 W Audubon Dr, Fresno CA 93720. make sure to see the Clark Bonsai Collection.
Fresno Metropolitan Museum
Sports to Enjoy
- Fresno Grizzlies - Baseball -- Player Gino Espineli was accepted onto the Beijing 2008 Summer Olympics USA team.
- Fresno Falcons - ECHL
- Central Valley Coyotes - Arena Football
- Fresno Fuego - Soccer
Grizzlies Mascot, Parker
Largest Employers in the City of Fresno
- Aetna - Insurance
- Beef Packers Inc - Meat packing
- California State University
- Cargill Meat Solutions - Retail meats
- Community Medical Centers
- Foster Farms - Poultry
- Fresno City College
- Fresno County Economic Office, Education Dept, Health Dept
- Fresno County Sheriff
- Fresno Metropolitan Regional - County
- Fresno Police Dept & Management
- Kaiser Permanente - Health and Medical
- Play It Safe Int'l - Safety consultants
- Shehadey Pavilion at St Agnes Hospital
- St Agnes Medical Center
- US Veterans Hospital
Additional Local Large Employers
- Corrections Dept - Coalinga; State Correctional Institutions
- Daniel C Salas Harvesting - Coalinga; Fruits & Vegetable Growers & Shippers
- Harris Ranch Beef Company - Selma; Meat Packers
- Ito Packing Company Inc - Reedley; Wholesale Exporters
- Pelco International Operations - Clovis; Wholesale Security Equip & Systems
- S Stamoules Inc - Mendota; Wholesale Fruits & Vegetables
Skilled Trades & Construction in High Demand
- Engineering Managers for various industry sectors.
- Cost Estimators for construction.
- Plumbers, Pipefitters, and Steamfitters
- Medical Assistants, Physician Assistants, and Nurse Practitioners
- Trades Helpers: Brick- and Blockmasons, Stonemasons, and Tile and Marble Setters
- Slaughterers and Meat Packers
- Mainstream Preschool Teachers to serve growing families, along with paraprofessionals, substitute teachers, and intervention specialists.
- Experienced Hosts and Hostesses for dining places like restaurants, lounges, and coffee shops.
Top 10 Fastest Growing Jobs
The fastest growing jobs in this area of California include many Skilled Trades, as well as Computer/IT careers and Medical/Healthcare Occupations.
A sign of increasing employment opportunities includes the #6 slot in this Top 10 List: Employment, Recruitment, and Placement Specialists. The fastest growing jobs in the Fresno area include:
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analysts (IT)
- Home Health Aides (HHA)
- Tile and Marble Setters
- Computer Software Engineers, Applications (IT)
- Network and Computer Systems Administrators (IT)
- Employment, Recruitment, and Placement Specialists
- Merchandisers/Window Trimmers
- Cement Masons/Concrete Finishers
- Pipelayers and related positions.
- Personal and Home Care Aides
Medical Mentors in the Central Valley
Colleges and Unversities
- Alliant International University
- California Christian College
- California State University at Fresno
- Fresno City College
- Fresno Pacific University
- Heald College of Business
- Maric College
- Mennonite Brethren Bible Seminary
- National University Brook College of Law
- Quality College of Culinary
- San Joaquin College of Law
- San Joaquin Valley College
- University of California San Francisco-Fresno
- Fresno Chamber of Commerce
- Indeed.com and SimplyHired.com employment listings for Fresno, California.
- Living in Fresno, US Best Cities;U.S. News and World Reports.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2008 Patty Inglish MS
Patty Inglish MS (author) from USA and Asgardia, the First Space Nation on July 22, 2008:
I'll take that as a request and study up on it a bit. I know a couple of people there that need a job... Thanks for mentioning it! :)
Tony Sky from London UK on July 21, 2008:
Patty, Its a shame you have not got you writing about the hot jobs in London, as im sure you would be a good help in getting the unemployment figures down!