Working From Home
Life has come to a standstill post coronavirus or COVID-19 crisis. Many businesses and employers are now opting for a complete social distancing norm by adopting the 'Work from Home' strategy. The work from home option erstwhile considered a niche choice for only select few employees is now witnessing robust usage at all levels across all the sectors. Work from home implementation has also witnessed reduced carbon emissions and cleaner air as people often commute less to workplaces.
The experts are now sensing the crisis as an opportunity to promote this work culture, thus helping the businesses to sustain in a volatile and competitive market. Work from home has also helped businesses to cut costs on office spaces and other expenses. Work from home option should otherwise be utilized extensively to nurture talent and skills contributed to the business during such adversity. Many companies are providing work from home as a permanent option to its employees for the next few years. The same may witness rise in numbers due to ease of availability of technology and resources to tap the work from home potential.
Work From Home Post COVID-19
The coronavirus pandemic or COVID-19 has provided an opportunity to sustain business continuity through the work from home option. Many employees have switched to work from home as an alternative to office commute to avoid the risk of COVID-19.
Many organizations including mid-size and start-up firms have now adhered to work from the home policy as a measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and ensure that the employees do not use or visit office-spaces. Hence, the work from home option may act as a new norm for offices aided by good technological infrastructures like VPN connectivity, remote working devices, smart applications to track productivity, etc.
However as the pandemic is yet to subside globally, there is a need to sustain work from the home arrangement as a permanent option and provide the employees the flexibility to choose to work remotely. Work from home option will otherwise contribute to reduced carbon emissions and help to boost productivity while ensuring business continuity.
Tips to Work From Home Effectively
As the demand for Work From Home is increasing at an alarming place across various verticals, it is also essential to adhere to best practises while following a work from home routine. The following are some of the best tips that may be incorporated-
- Always ensure a tidy place to work on a computer/laptop. Do not work in a congested place at home which may lead to physical stress.
- Keep away from distractions that otherwise hamper smooth work from home option. Some of them include keeping away telephone ports, music systems, pets, food etc.
- Do not encourage visitors to enter your workspace at home. This may lead to distraction and often lead to delay in executing work from home assignments/projects accordingly
- Keep pen and paper ready to jot down essential notes while working remotely at home. These things ensure that you stay updated on any important events and helps you to adhere to project timelines, when necessary.
- Ensure to keep technical equipment handy, as these may be vital during disruptions or when required to switch to an alternative option. For example, keep extra audio ports ready for video conferencing, storage drive to copy/transfer files, printer to print documents etc.
- As much possible avoid external distractions and do not use work locations near doors and windows.
- Ensure a calm and serene environment, as much like the office, for your workstation at home.
Work from home, which erstwhile existed for only select few groups in organizations, has now become a new norm post-COVID-19 crisis. Work from home has enabled flawless networking while giving a boost to productivity and to save costs on physical infrastructure otherwise incurred by the organizations.
While it is essential to maintain social distancing norms in public places, work from home opportunity otherwise has enabled many organizations to take better preventive steps and let employees work safely.
An innovative strategy may be adopted in a phased and comprehensive manner to let the employees choose to work remotely, even after the end of the pandemic. The policy will also help conserve and preserve the environment as the same contributes to reduced carbon emissions due to the non-usage of vehicles for a commute to the workplace.