WooCommerce is an e-commerce plugin, for WordPress users. WooCommerce has been built for small to large-scale online merchants, including several features for the creation and management of the e-commerce store like in-built payment processing, product sorting and featuring, SEO advantage, inventory and tax management, and many more. Established on September 27, 2011, the plugin became widely popular with free availability and flexible features. Now, in 2021, Woocommerce dominates the market with almost 29 percent market share.
Ever wondered about the automated reply mechanisms and integrated accounts system of large e-commerce stores? Well, that’s the contribution of an automation platform named Zapier, which serves as a tool that could be attached to the WooCommerce plugin for handling tedious tasks. Through WooCommerce Zapier integration, anyone could perform updates of contacts, sending upsell emails and SMS order confirmations, without even lifting a finger. Want to enjoy the surplus benefits and features of the integration? We will guide you and help you get started with Zap.
What is Zapier
Zapier is an automated online tool that connects your apps and services. You can link and set automatic repetitive tasks without relying on coding or third-party apps. Through the free and paid plans, users could connect to over 4000 apps, moving data between each other.
The working of Zapier is quite simple to understand. Zapier works on a ‘trigger and action’ principle.
1. Trigger: a trigger is an event that initiates an action. For example, if you want to reply with a text message each time you receive an email, then the trigger is an email received in the inbox.
2. Action: this is an event that Zap performs after the action. It is the automated response mechanism set by the user. In the above-mentioned case, sending a text message is the action.
A single-step Zap has only one trigger and one action. For setting up multi-step Zap, including more than one trigger and action, the user must purchase the paid plans.
How to integrate WooCommerce with Zapier?
Before linking Woocommerce with Zapier, you need to ensure two things.
1. Register to Zapier
2. Purchase and download the premium Woocommerce Zapier plugin, which is mandatory. This costs about $59 per year. After purchasing the premium plugin, the user does not necessarily need the premium plans.
3. PHP version 7.2 or higher
4. Connect your WooCommerce account to your website
Step 1: Check the Installation
Go to your WordPress Dashboard— Side Menu — WooCommerce — Extensions — WooCommerce.com subscription screen. Click the download button next to WooCommerce Zapier.
Step 2: Creation of a Zap
Go to Zapier dashboard on the Zapier.com website. Press the make Zap button on the left sidebar to make a new zap.
Step 3: Authentication
The next step is to choose your Woocommerce account.
• In the website URL field, enter the URL to your store's homepage. Make sure that the URL starts with https://
• In the username field, enter your administrative username or Gmail address provided while logging into the WordPress dashboard.
• In the password field, create an application password for your WordPress administrator site. If you can’t create a new one, use the regular WordPress website.
Step 4: Trigger Step
In this step, you will share your WooCommerce data with Zapier Zap.
• In the ‘choose app and event step', search and click the WooCommerce app.
• Select the resource in the Choose Trigger Event dropdown.
• In the choose account step, sign in to your WooCommerce account to link it with Zapier.
• Select a trigger rule from the dropdown to choose the trigger event, that is, the event that initiates action.
• In the Find Data step, click the Test and Continue button to retrieve sample data from your WooCommerce store.
• In the Choose and Event Step, choose a service to send your WooCommerce data to.
Step 5: Action Step
This step enables you to create new WooCommerce data from Zap.
• In the choose App and Event step, choose a service to receive data from. Finish configuring the trigger.
• In the Choose App and Event step, select the WooCommerce app.
• Choose the Action, the response mechanism set to be performed after a trigger event, from the dropdown.
• In the choose Account step, sign in to your WooCommerce account for integration.
• Fill in all of the WooCommerce input fields that you want to send data. In the Send Data step, click the Test and Continue button to finish the Action configuration.
Zapier is a powerful and innovative platform for e-commerce users, with a handful of applications like the creation of Google contacts, maintaining accounts, managing shipments, setting automated reply mechanisms to customers, etc. WooCommerce integration with Zapier, even though a paid service is useful and encouraged, as it explores many features that will create a time-saving and convenient workflow e-commerce environment, flexible enough to adapt to the changing conditions.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2022 Govind Panicker