As a top-rated eBay seller, I want to help all eBay sellers realize their potential for maximum sales and best practices.
If you're new to eBay selling, creating a professional description can be difficult, especially if you aren't familiar with HTML code. To help introduce you to HTML coding within your eBay description, I have provided a sample universal eBay description in HTML code. You can copy and paste this code if you want and edit it to your preference.
As I stated in my "7 Steps to Creating a Professional eBay Listing" article, you should use only four lines of text to describe the item you are selling. This is most efficient for all of your mobile buyers, as they have a limited view of your auction description before having to scroll down the page to view more.
Studies show that most buyers make their decision to buy or not within 8 seconds of viewing your item description. If they see a lot of text, they are instantly overwhelmed. In the online world we live in, people are interested in barebone facts, meaning they want straight to the point specifics about the item they are viewing.
The following template has 3 different text colors, which is my recommended maximum color use for a professional looking description. Feel free to change the colors to your preference or highlight a particular feature that you think should stand out to your buyers.
Remember, it is easy to get carried away with all of the different color options, but you want to keep your item description as simple as possible in an effort to not confuse or overwhelm your buyers. Different colors trigger different interactions or thoughts for each buyer.
- The color green is often used to encourage people to buy.
- The color red is best used to catch your buyer's attention.
- The color purple has scientifically been proven to cause nervousness and even headaches.
In summary, colors are a great tool, but you need to know how to use them before you go placing them where they don't belong. Often, it is better to use neutral colors until you learn more about color coded marketing.
Copying and Pasting
Just in case you don't know how to copy and paste the easy way:
- Place your mouse cursor over any part of the html text provided.
- Click on any section within the html code.
- Press and hold the "CTRL" + "A" keys on your keyboard until there is a blue highlight around the html text
- Once the html text is highlighted, press and hold "CTRL" + "C" to copy the entire text.
- Press and hold "CTRL" + "V" to past the selected text to the html description field in you eBay listing.
eBay Description HTML Template
For this code to display correctly in your eBay description, you must toggle between the "Standard" and "HTML" buttons above your eBay description field.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.