A perfect leader is someone who knows how to control his emotions. He manages his temper effectively and never goes out of control. He is easy to deal with, makes careful decisions, and listens to his team. Using emotional intelligence is a great way to show the leader inside you to the world.
Let us discuss key elements of emotional intelligence and why they are important for leaders.
What is Emotional Intelligence?
Emotional intelligence means becoming aware of your own and other’s emotions. It helps you to understand how it will affect you and those around you.
It is an essential ingredient for success. A leader who handles his team calmly, even under stress, without losing control will succeed.
Five essential elements of emotional intelligence are:
- Self-awareness (understanding your emotions)
- Self-regulation (ability to control your emotions)
- Motivation (having a long-term vision for success)
- Empathy (understanding other’s emotion)
- Social skills (ability to influence the emotion of others)
Let us discuss each element and how you can increase your emotional intelligence by managing each of these areas.
#1: Importance of Self-awareness
Self-awareness helps you to know the way you feel. You become aware of your emotions, what triggers them, and how they affect you and others. You are knowledgeable of your strengths and weaknesses.
But how can you improve it?
- Write your thoughts in a journal by spending only 15-20 minutes each day. It helps you to become aware of your hidden feelings more effectively.
- Do not react immediately to any situation when you are angry.
#2: How Self-regulation helps you Control Conflicts?
Self-regulation means you can control your emotions and do not verbally abuse others. You do not make careless decisions without compromising on values. You think before acting and can say no.
Here are a few ways to increase your self-regulatory ability:
- Have a clear idea of your values where you can not compromise. Identify your ethics. This way, you do not have to think twice while making a moral decision. Your decision will be right.
- Enhance your accountability quotient. Do not always blame others. Do not hesitate to admit your mistakes and face the consequences. It will help you gain the respect of the people.
- Act calmly in a challenging situation. Do not shout at someone under stress. You can write all your negative thoughts on paper and tear them off. Expressing your emotions on paper is better than shouting at your team.
#3: How Proper Motivation Help to Achieve Long-term Success?
You are productive, love challenges, and have a vision for long-term success. You work consistently towards your goals and deliver high-quality work.
Here are a few ways to improve your self-motivation:
- Examine what you love about your job. If you are unhappy with your work, analyze its root cause as it will help you look at it in a new way. Also, keep revising your goal statement frequently to keep it fresh in your mind.
- Examine your leadership role in the present situation. You need to increase your motivation to lead if you want to fulfill your dreams.
- Remain optimistic. It takes practice and time to master this mindset, but, is worthy. Even if you face a failure, try to find something positive in it. Take a lesson from it to not repeat the same mistake.
#4: How can Empathy Create Strong Bonds With People?
Empathy is crucial for successful team management. You can understand the desires, requirements, and viewpoints of the people around you.
Here are a few tips to improve your empathy:
- Do not always support your viewpoint. Look at a situation from other's point of view also.
- Maintain proper body language while talking or listening to someone. It conveys a message of how you feel about the situation. Also, develop a quality to read body language. It will help you to analyze how the other person feels, and you can then respond accordingly.
- Develop a quality to take into consideration the feelings of other people. For example, if you want your employee to work late at night, appreciate their efforts and compensate for the extra hours the next day.
#5: How Mastering Social Skills Make you a Great Leader?
You are a team player. You not only focus on your success but help others to grow and shine as well. You have excellent communication skills, open to both bad and good news, can easily manage conflicts, and maintain relationships.
Here are a few tips for strong social skills:
- You should possess the quality of resolving conflicts among your team members, clients, and vendors.
- Master the art of communicating.
- Praise the efforts of your team members to earn their respect and loyalty.
- Do not take things as they are, and set an example for your team with your behavior.
How to Improve Emotional Intelligence?
Emotional intelligence is a learnable skill.
Here are a few strategies for you to follow:
- Analyze your thinking pattern. Analyze how you interact with other people. Observe the reaction of people. Imagine yourself in their place. In this way, you will be able to understand their perspective and needs.
- Do not always seek attention for your accomplishments. Be confident about what you are doing and what you did. Give others a chance to grow, and do not worry about receiving praise for yourself.
- Noe one is perfect. So, evaluate your strengths and weaknesses. Work upon your weaknesses to become a better person. Do this honestly if you want to change your life.
- Examine how you react under stress. Do not become upset or blame others whenever things do not happen the way you want. Stay calm and keep emotions under control in all kinds of situations.
- Only you are responsible for your actions. Always apologize if you do something wrong to someone if you want people to forgive you.
To be a great leader, you must learn to have a clear understanding of your emotions and the actions you take. These directly affect the people around you. The more you relate to others, the more successful you will be.
So, improve your emotional intelligence if you want to excel in life.
Do you excel in all the areas mentioned or lack in any of them?
Share your views in the comments below.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2020 Preeti Shah