Recently, a friend of mine asked me that I have been driving Maruti Alto Lxi since last four years now and I want to sell my old car. I would like buy a new car in the budget of 3.5 lacs and my father is really interested in New Alto K10 and is insisting me to buy the New Alto, but after using Alto for four years now, I would like a change and would like to buy a trendy and stylish car that has all the features and a price tag of 3.5 lacs or so. So can you find me a car in this budget? Also, I have seen Alto K10 and my father is insisting me to buy it because of its very good mileage so please give me disadvantages and advantages of buying Maruti Alto K10.
Advantages of Maruti Alto K10:
- Alto K10 has a great pickup and no sluggish feel with AC on like we used to feel with previous variants of Maruti Alto.
- The K-10 model has good strong foggies, tachometer in newly designed instrument cluster; 13” tires look good when fitted with alloys, smooth gear shift again better than the previous rough gear shift in old Altos.
- Alto K10 has 1000 cc engine, 200 more cc from previous versions. This car can be precisely compared with WagonR and Estilo (Swift is better).
- With K10, you can experience some throttle even at low RPMs (800-1200) on third gear at 10 to 15 kilometers per hour.
- If you buy New Alto K10 Vxi, you will get a Pioneer 4290 head unit, a JBL GT5-S204 (4” for dashboard), a JBL GTO-938 (6”x9” oval for rear plank), power windows, body side molding, an autocop remote security system, front fog lamps, Plati India 13” alloy wheels, a dual-tone horn, manual central locking, sporty and trendy looks, body colored wide bumpers, low cost of ownership, Maruti’s trust, better mileage up to 17 kmpl in cities and up to 22 kmpl on highways without AC (with AC you can minus 2 kmpl), refreshed interiors, all at a price tag of approximately 348000 on road for metallic and 345000 on road for non-metallic.
- You can choose from a range of beautiful colors like sunlight copper, superior white, silky silver, midnight black, ecru beige, and fire black red. Currently, I can see sunlight copper’s on road most of the time, as the color is very appealing.
- Pickup is really good so people upgrading to Alto K10 from Old Alto should drive very carefully during initial days.
- AC is as usual super cool. No drop in acceleration when AC is full on.
- Temperature meter has gone and is replaced by one warning red light on instrument cluster, so if overheating happens, then the red warning light will flash.
- A little more leg space on back.
- Rear number plate given by the dealer is very thin and will create sound if you drive above 40 kmph, so it is better to replace it with more sturdy number plate.
- ORVMs are black even in Alto K10 VXI, which look really odd as VXI has body colored front and rear bumpers, so you can ask the dealer to body color them for just a charge of 500 INR.
- Suspension, brakes have been improved to suit new engine and bigger tires.
- Improvement in suspension can be felt, even better than Alto X-Fun Limited Edition which also sold away mostly in sunlight copper color.
After going through the advantages of buying Alto K10, I would like to share a bit of disadvantages of K10 and those are:
- This car does not have day/night mirror.
- Alto K10 has same old dashboard and cheap plastics.
- It has same ground clearance. With bigger tires, one would expect increase in ground clearance but no hope.
- Alto K10 has pathetic horn sound, very shrill.
Here is the first mileage update of K10 from a friend who just bought this car:
With 100% AC on, tank full to tank full, his alto K10 gave around 14 kmpl mileage, not bad considering then engine is new, has potential of giving more mileage after six months or so.
The 20.2 kmpl mileage as claimed by Maruti is under “ideal condition” which means highway driving with minimum braking, 60 to 70 kmph fixed speed with minimum revving, and AC off and the mileage my friend reported to me is under “real condition”, i.e., 100% city driving with 100% ac on and lots of braking, clutch use, and quick accelerated moves for overtaking, so he is happy to get 14 kmpl on a 3 weeks new car with city driving and 100% AC. I also think that after 5 to 6 months, he would get close to 16 kmpl with AC on, as in initially the engine is programmed in such a way that it consumes more fuel and after 5 to 6 months, engine eases a bit and then gives better mileage. So it is my advice to people who are looking for better mileage and features mentioned above should have a look at ALTO K-10 in the Maruti-Suzuki showroom. This car looks and feels a bit bigger than the Old Alto and hence more legroom at back. Also you are getting K10’s new 1000cc 67BHP class performer K-Series engine which as claimed by Maruti returns a fuel efficiency of 20.2 kmpl (Certified by ARAI) under ideal conditions. And at this price Alto K-10 is value for money, so take a test drive and decide yourself.
Vikrant on March 30, 2017:
What can be the max. Mileage of alto K10 vxi in city and on highway
Arnab Das on May 21, 2016:
I am a satisfied user of Alto K 10. This is our 3rd car. Previously we have Premier Padmini then Maruti 800. Now Alto K10. We are are happy and fully satisfied.
kul bhushan on December 10, 2014:
i had alto k10 vxi i got 20 kmpl average on NH1 Jalandhar delhi national highway
SARATH on December 02, 2014:
I am a alto k10 vxi user it is the best car
dinesh bhatt on October 10, 2014:
hy frnd i m planning for alto k10, it is really nice car, good looking and good milege than other car of this segment.
Sridhar on June 24, 2014:
Hi All,I have purchased K-10 in the year 2011 intially i think it gave me very less mileage of around 14km.Recently have been for a long drive and drove nearly 600km and with constant AC(Level2) it gave me a good mileage of 20kmpl,However I did not cross 100kmhr speed and maintained on and average of 60 to 80Kmhr overall.So everything is good almost,but I could find some issue recently that when I raise accelator with AC on there is a scraching sound coming out from the engine bonnet.
h on January 20, 2014:
Hiiiii I own altok10 iam very satisfied
Dipanwita on October 23, 2013:
I ll get only 11 km millage in city by my one year old altok10 car...
What ll i do???
Umesh Patel on May 04, 2013:
Maruti Alto K 10 is better than Maruti Wagon-R.
Both engine are same, but Wagon-R is heavier by 165 Kgs than Alto K10.
165 Kgs = 2.35 persons having 70 Kg weight
Now just think from your side.
Best Of Luck
Rajinder Soni (author) from New Delhi, India on March 09, 2013:
Yes Mr. Singh it means your alloy wheels do not match with the tires of your K10. Get them refitted by someone who is more specialised in doing this work.
amrik singh on February 03, 2013:
ham nai k 10 mai alloy wheels daliiie hai but jab 5 log bath jate hai tooooo tyer niche laggggg jate hai koiii bata sakta hai kya haaaaal hai ji
abhinav mitra on September 18, 2012:
shud i buy Alto k10 lxi OR Alto k10 vxi so that i get full value for my money...
Ashok Mogal on September 13, 2012:
I am using Alto K10 from past one year. This is nice & economical car in this budget. Perfectly fit for family of four to five. Even one can install CNG and make the car more economical if running is more than 500km a month.
Bitu on July 02, 2012:
Hi m an alto k10 user..i have drive my car with a speed of 100+; its very interesting...
VIKAS MONGIA on May 03, 2012:
mere paas alto k10 vxi hai mera dream tha k mere paas car ho wo b apni caar m very happy k mera fainsla ekdam bilkul sahi raha agar main koi aur car le leta to mera mann kafi dukhi hona tha meri mehnat ki kamaaayi hai... i love my alto k10.ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
ragesh thampi on April 13, 2012:
alto k10 is my 3rd car first maruti 800;second wagonr;and third alto k 10;it is very fuel efficient and powerful.but a one problem is it is not a tall boy car.
Divesh on April 10, 2012:
I havnt got alloys with my alto k10 vxi model from the company
abc on April 08, 2012:
I have an Alto VXi, 1.5 yrs old, still on petrol, total run about 13500 kms. I get about 15km/l in traffic, 18km/l within the city on open roads, 22km/l on the expressway. With petrol prices so high, I do often contemplate switching to CNG. However, I would have preffered a factory fitted CNG car in the first place.
Subrato Pramanik on March 28, 2012:
I have recently purchased a Alto k10 series car an i am fully satisfied with the performance even if the AC is on no difference in acceleration.While on off road also the suspenses r given a good performance.I choose SUV for my village but for the mileage i though of alto to test on the same road it full of stone an no constructed road.Hence i am much sure i can take my new alto anywhere i want,for better mileage an performance.An recently my 1 friend has purchased a new alto after the satisfy feedback.
clinton on March 22, 2012:
i am a alto lx owner i get millage in between 18-21,
also if i use ac it around 17-18,i think this is one of the most mill aged car in India,at very less maintenance
we can trust it for 10yrs that's a great thing
sangram mungase on March 22, 2012:
hello friends i have users of alto k10 vxi i got 20 kmpl milege on nashik pune highway. K10 is best.
param sidhu on March 11, 2012:
alto k10 ,,, is much better than i10,eon,beat etc. k10 is a best car,,,,,,,,,
chandu vankar on February 27, 2012:
Dear All of U
For your information
Wagon-r,A-star,Estalio and K10 has the same engine 1000 cc 68 BHP
Sreekala on February 24, 2012:
Alto K10 VXI .This is very smooth and light.Alto K10 VXI is more better than swift
sreek on February 24, 2012:
I am an Alto K10 user.This vehicle is very comfortable smooth.
ssharma75 on February 20, 2012:
Hi Soni, I am planning to buy Wagon R CNG model, is it a right decision ? as my monthly travelling is approx 1800 to 2000 km and presently using petrol vehicle. And what is the life span of engine working on CNG fuel? Does company fitted CNG vehicle will get good resale value after running for 5 years.
Please advice, need your valuable inputs.
Jayant on February 15, 2012:
Should i buy this or go for diesel hatch...but my annual run not more than 4k
Adam on February 01, 2012:
I am a Alto K10 User i got an average of 23 Kmpl on Ambala to Delhi Highway..............
Its a Great car..........
MadhuS on December 12, 2011:
I am owner of K10 LXI. Its v nice car. I am getting 20 + avg on city roads in Delhi with some care in thoughtful driving. Highway avg was full ac speeds up to 80+ sparingly 100 as 21+. I must rate this marvel as 4.5/5. Mileage as of yet is 4500Kms.
Dd on December 09, 2011:
The more sugar the sweeter.
Monaj yadav on November 26, 2011:
Alto k10 vxi
Ankit yadav on November 26, 2011:
Mara paas pahla i10 thi ab mara paas k10 vxi ha the more better parfomene i10 the best car of india alto k10 vxi
shoaib on October 23, 2011:
k10 ka dashboard behad poor quality ka hai
Vijay Singh on October 21, 2011:
Maruti Alto having poor pickup and when AC is on and Car is on CNG then it cant ride smoothly.
Rajinder Soni (author) from New Delhi, India on October 17, 2011:
Yeah you can buy Hyundai Eon Magan in this range. This car was launched on 13th October and is all set to take on Alto.
Manotosh on October 17, 2011:
hi... actually i am going to buy a new car for the first time with a budget of around 3.5lacs ................so can you suggest any best option.
Aman on September 20, 2011:
Dont worry bro... i have just bought this car... i have got the rim changed to alloys and wider tyres (company gives 155 mm and i have changed to 175 mm) with complete ac on my car gives me 14-15 kmpl. rest everything is good in this car....
Rajinder Soni (author) from New Delhi, India on May 21, 2011:
But here I am talking about K10 VXi model and when compared to New Wagon R - the blue eyed boy, it costs you around MARUTI WAGON R VXI BS4 - 393214.82 ex showroom and approximately 430000.00 on road and if you go for CNG fitted Wagon R, the ex-showroom price here in Delhi is 421276.22 for MARUTI WAGON R LXI CNG BS4. So there is already a difference of RS. 80000/- which is not very small and of course if anyone can spend up to 4.3 lac, then there are many other options in that price range but for 3.5 lacs, according to me, Alto K10 is the best option.
sweetie1 from India on May 21, 2011:
Alto is a very fine car but as the trend is today of little higher seats and this car seats are little low and thus not comfortable. But for 3.5 lac you can buy Wagon R in Delhi which is better option and then you can put CNG in that and it gives such a nice fuel economy.