The USB Port Not Mentioned in the Car Manual
If you are the owner of a 2012 or later Honda Civic, you probably did not know that there are TWO USB ports in the car. The car manual only informs you of the USB found in the console of the car where you hook up devices etc. The hidden USB is actually behind the glove box and hard to locate.
Why might you need this?
Many Civics have their built in GPS in the dash. For the consumer, this hidden USB is required to use to update the GPS software information with a more recent mapping system. It also used by Honda technicians to obtain information. Of course, Honda does not even mention this in the manual, so you might use the USB located in the console to update the GPS. This will not work! The system will just not "see" the GPS update that is sent on a USB. There is a distinct purpose between the two USB ports.
How to access the USB
To access this hidden USB, do the following:
1. Open the glove box and empty it.
2. Using both hands, squeeze both sides of the glove box and pull down. The box restraints are deactivated and releases it allowing the box to open all the way. This exposes the back of the dash.
3. The USB may appear connected to something, but it is not. It is a gray color. Just pull it exposing the port. This is where the GPS USB update plugs into. At this point, you are ready to begin the update. Follow those instructions that came with the USB update.
4. While the glove box is wide open, you can easily change the interior air filter. As shown in the picture by a rectangle, simply unfastened the lid to the filter and pull the filter out and replace. When done, snap back the filter cover.
Updating the GPS to the most recent software usually takes 20 minutes or so with the engine running and the instructions will tell you other specifics. When done, simply remove the USB update. The hidden USB can be left hanging or in its seat.
5. To return the glove box to its restricted setting, simply squeeze both sides of it and put in place. The latches will catch allowing you to close it normally.