Professional scrapbook artist, paper crafter, and author, I have taught people how to make family memories into legacies for 20 years.
Getting Started Using Quotes
If you are like me, I often find myself at a loss for words for my scrapbook pages. Sometimes I feel very inspired. I can look at a picture and know exactly what I want to say. Other times not so easy. So I started trying to find some places for inspiration and ideas for both the page titles of my layout as well as quotes for layouts. I wanted resources that enabled me to find what I wanted easily and quickly. I tested each of these resources and have reviewed them for you from my own experiences. Then I added a few more ideas to get your creative juices flowing.
To quote an unknown author, "Just as pieces stitched together in a quilt warm our bodies, scrapbooks bind together memories to warm our hearts.â
Keep A Quote Journal Handy
Keeping a quote journal handy will help keep those ideas that you have gathered together in one location. It can be a little journal that you keep handy, a loose leaf binder that is tabbed by subject or just a folder, but if you are like me, I often forget where I keep those post it notes that I wrote something down on.
The scrapbook quote that you use on your pages in meant to tell something about that event or time. It's not a diary or a journal, but a memory jogger that helps us relate to the event or people in our photos. It helps us recall a part of our lives so that we can relive it with those who are important to us.
“Just as pieces stitched together in a quilt warm our bodies, scrapbooks bind together memories to warm our hearts.” ~Author Unknown
Quote Journals Can Be Fun
Card, Craft & Scrapbook Quotes
Scrapbook Quote Sources - Free Sources Of Quotes For Your Scrapbook Pages
Quotes are not just ways to fill space. They say something special to convey a sense of what your page is about when you can't find the exact words. In other words, they enhance the thoughts that your pictures are trying to convey
They can inspire someone . Those wise words from a famous person can act as a valuable piece of advice
They can add fun, humor ,and sentimentality to your scrapbook pages
Start with your favorite browser. Simply go to your browser and type in scrapbook quotes. Will will find a large assortment to chose from. If you are looking for something specific, type in for example, scrapbook quotes about babies.
In your search you will also find folks selling quotes. Many of these selections are enhanced with art work. If you find something you like, make sure that the seller is legit. Stick to someplace like Etsy or Ebay or Amazon to make any purchases.
- ScrapSayings.com, Sayings Directory
Large organized directory
- Scrapbook About
If you are looking for a specific quote, title or poem, there are lots of resources
- Quote Garden
My personal favorite because they are so well organized and their quotes are short which makes it perfect for scrappers
- Brainy Quote
Another of my favorites. Well organized by topic or author. Has nice, easy to read quotes, some with pictures
Type your keyword into the search bar and you get lots of quotes for all your pages. They also have a large list of topics
Qualities Of A Good Scrapbook Quote
"Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose." ~From the television show The Wonder Years Scrapbook pages help us create good memories. The quotes we add to those pages make our memories sweeter
- It should be something that sticks in your head and has an impact. It actually makes a light bulb that goes off in your head
- It should be relevant to the picture or the subject that is on the page
- It should be short. Less is more and the point of the page is the picture, so don't bury the picture with words
- It should touch your emotions. It should reach you in a special way that creates a warm glowing memory
Making The Quotes On Your Scrapbook Pages Pop
How To Highlight A Scrapbook Quote
Once you have selected the quote for your scrapbook page, it's easy to make it pop on your page. But remember, the photo is the focus point of your scrapbook layouts. Before you print the quote out, make sure that you chose a font and size that will enhance your layout. You can use colored ink or black. It's up to you !
You can print your quote on colored paper to highlight it. Or you can layer your quote with a background paper. You are building your page step by step. Since you are the artist, you just have to decide what works for you.
Imagine All The Ways You Can Place A Quote
Find More Scrapbook Quotes - Unusual Places To Find Scrapbook Inspiration
"Scrapbooking isn't about scraps of paper and photos. Scrapbooking is about scraps of life - yours and those special to you." ~Rebecca Sower
- Recycle Greeting Cards When you get a special greeting card that really makes you sigh or laugh, save it. Keep them in a file and use the sayings on your pages !
- Magazines Before you heave those magazines, look for any special quotes that caught your eye ! Cut them out or jot them down for future use
- Books Jot down something special from a book that you are reading. Head to the public library where there are infinite sources of information. Don't forget children's books too. Dr Seuss is one of my personal favorites
- Scrapbook Galleries When I have some extra time, I love looking at scrapbook galleries. I keep my quote journal handy so if I see something special, I can jot it down
- Quote a song ! There are terrific quotes within the songs that we all know and love !
- TV shows Sometimes we hear something on a TV show or a commercial that just clicks
Use Letter Stickers And Word Stickers For Your Quotes
Scrapbook Quotes As Titles
Creating a title with a scrapbook quote may sound difficult, but it is easier than you think. First start with an anchor word. What is the one word on your scrapbook page that tells the story? For example your anchor word might be vacation
What is a word that is the same word or a similar word to your anchor word. Now think of other words similar to that. Might be a trip, a destination, ect.
Now think about where that trip was...Mexico, London, Florida
Now look for quotes and taglines that are about trips, vacations and destinations. Then look for the same to the specific destination you went to.
More Title Tips
- A great scrapbook quote or phrase can inspire a wonderful title for your scrap book pages or a title on a journal card. Break it up in pieces
- You can use the main idea of the quote to fashion your title. Or you can take the title and break it up in your actual layout.
- Use one font throughout or use two font to make it different.
- Fashion your layout around the quote.
- Song Titles should always have quotes around them
- Album Titles should always be in italics
- Keep your title short
Using A Quote As A Title
Free Scrapbook Quote Downloads
- Free Family Quote Download
Great quotes that you can download and keep on all things family
- Baby Quotes for Scrapbooking - Makoodle
Get baby quote downloads
How To Journal On Your Scrapbook With Quotes
A lot of folks who love to scrapbook find it very hard to put into words any ideas or thoughts on their pages that convey their feelings about the pictures they have placed on their layout. Writing or journaling on their scrapbook page becomes difficult, so sometimes they will avoid it all together. Have you ever felt that way?
Quotes to the rescue ! Quotes are simply words, ideas and feelings that are expressed by someone else. And you are free to use them. The best example I can think of is the type of cards that are used in project life. They often use a quite to enhance a page.
What are the benefits of using scrapbook quotes you might ask.
- Well, for starters, they are great space fillers, When you have that blank space that you just cannot seem to fill, a well chosen quote is the perfect solution.
- A good quote can offer advice or inspiration. When I work on my grandkids scrapbooks, I love to add a quote that may inspire their future.
- Quotes can offer a sense of fun to your page. Add something silly just for the fun of it
- Quote yourself too. If you have said something that is worth noting add that in too .
- Quote a family member. Do they have something that they say often that everyone associates with them? Especially fun if you use it with a picture of them.
Quotes can add so much more to your scrapbook pages ! Once you start using them, you will find that they are your go to tool, when you hit a blank on what to say.
Get Creative With Your Quotes
Really look at your scrapbook page and decide how your quote is going to look.
Start with color. What is the main one or two colors of your scrapbook page? Use that color on the printer when you print your quote. If you are typing your quote out also consider what type of font that would best match your page.
Mat your quote ! Add a color piece of cardstock under your quote. Use decorative scissors to create a border for your quote.
Rip the paper around your quot. Rub some ink from one of your inkpads around the quote to add some interest.
Use a tiny half gem glues on to dot an i
Break a quote up into strips. Then add the strips to your page.
Write a quote with your own hand. Use a micro pen to add the quote in your own penmanship
Most of all, have fun adding your quotes in your scrapbook pages !
Free Printable Quotes
- Travel Scrapbooking Ideas & Free Printable Travel Quotes
Download free printable travel themed quotes that are perfect to use in a DIY travelers journal. Lots of great travel scrapbooking ideas
- 100+ Free Printable Project Life Journaling Card Insert Sets - Happiness is Homemade
Over 100 of the best and cutest FREE printable Project Life 3x4 journal card sets all conveniently linked in one handy resource!
- Printable Quotes For Scrapbooking. QuotesGram
Discover and share Printable Quotes For Scrapbooking. Explore our collection of motivational and famous quotes by authors you know and love.
- scrapbooking quotes about family
Lots of free printable family quotes, Very good selection
There are available both in your local craft store and online sheets and books with themed quotes. These are done on vellum in color and in black, These take all the guess work out of creating and locating the exact themed quote that you need. All you have to do is cut the quote you need from the book and adhere it to your page. These are especially useful when you are doing special themed scrapbooks like babies, pets, birthdays, weddings, ect.
These vellum quotes also come in sheets which are nice when you need a little added touch to a specific page. You can often find them as single sheets or in a package of two or three.
If you find a quote you like, you can print it out on a piece of vellum with your printer. Be careful handling it. They take a while to dry and can easily be smeared,
Consider writing your quote on vellum in your own writing. Use a host of pens to create your own vellum quotes.
Have fun with the process ! Using vellum adds dimension and interest to your page.
Products With Scrapbook Quotes
If all else fails, you can always purchase products that have the quotes on them. It helps you get the job done quicker. Most of these products are themed, so it's easy to find exactly what you need for your specific product.
- Message Stickers- They come in embossed and translucent stickers, as well as traditional stickers. They are sold as singles, pages and books of stickers. I like to make copies of them and keep them in a book for future use.
- Rub On Quotes- These are similar to stickers but are rubbed on with a tool to the page
- Stamps are another great alternative. These are usually singles as a rubber stamp or in a set as acrylics. These are an investment, so make sure that you have somewhere else you can use them. I like to catalogue these in my quotes notebooks for future reference.
- Die Cuts- These are easy to use, but again are an investment. They cut the paper into the saying or quote which you can glue onto paper. You need either a hand die cut machine or an electronic one Again, I catalogue these in my quotes journal
- Themed Scrapbook Paper- you can buy a single sheet of scrapbook paper and can cut out the quote that you need. Check the aisle of your local craft store or on line
The Program In Your Electronic Cutting Machine
Another place that I have found to find quotes for my scrapbook page lies in the program of my electronic cutting machine. I am a huge Cricut fan. Within the images of my Cricut Design Space are many sayings that I can cut or print to use on my scrapbook pages. It also enables me to design a title from any quote that I can add to my designs.
Vellum quotes are one of my favorite ways to come up with that special addition that is needed for a scrapbook page. They come as themed books of quotes and as sheets. I like the themed books, especially if I am working on things like a book on babies or pets. They come as sheets that can be cut apart and then adhered to the page.
This is a no brainer. They do all the work for you.
You can also get creative with vellum by creating your own vellum quotes. Find a quote that you like and print it out o your printer. It will take a while to get that ink to dry, so be careful handling it.
Check out your stamp sets. They often have little sayings that you can stamp on vellum or card stock.
Go Beyond A Quote
A short poem is a great way to fill in some space and add that special something to your scrapbook page.
Printing these on your computer is as easy as can be. You can layer them over some cardstock or use just the copy. Make sure to use a good weight paper.
Need some poetic inspiration? Here is a huge free resource to find the verse that you need.
We'd love to hear about your favorite quotes and how you use them on your pages. Why not share your thoughts with the community or just stop by and say hello ! " Scrapbooking isn’t about scraps of paper and photos. Scrapbooking is about scraps of life – yours and those special to you.” ~Rebecca Sower
© 2017 Linda F Correa