Professional scrapbook artist, paper crafter, and author, I have taught people how to make family memories into legacies for 20 years.
Scrapbook Are All About Your Journey
Basic Steps To Create A Scrapbook Page
Have you ever wondered how people put together a scrapbook page? Have you ever seen a scrapbook and wondered how someone put it all together?
It is easy to take those photos out of the box or drawer and create a wonderfully artistic scrapbook page. There are only a few steps that will help you create a wonderful piece of artwork that will be a treasured legacy for generations to come.
Have you ever been looking through some pictures after someone passed only to realize that you had no clue who or what the pictures were? You literally did not know how important any of those old photos were, so maybe you threw them away, out of frustration.
More than that, you went looking through an old magnetic album, only to find that the pictures had become faded or ruined. What a shame?
Maybe you have some pictures just sitting around, unorganized and as time has passed, you have forgotten what year they were taken, or who was in them.
It's time to create a scrapbook with some wonderful pages.It's fun and rewarding to put your pictures and memorabilia together to tell your story. We are going to guide you through a few easy steps to help you get the creative juices flowing.
You only really need a few tools and supplies to get started.
Using Sketches On Your Scrapbook Page
Scrapbook sketches are like a blueprint for scrapbook pages. They are available on the internet for free and there are also resources that you can purchase for a small amount.
Scrapbook sketches are designs that you can use to create your scrapbook pages. You can use the design as shown or you can alter the design to meet your needs. They help you get started with all the elements of your pages in one or two page layouts.
All you have to do to find these layouts is to go to your favorite is to go to your favorite browser. Type in "free scrapbook sketches . Then go to images and you will find plenty of inspiration.
Sort Through Your Photos
A Great Family Night Project
Sorting through your photos is a first step towards making terrific scrapbook pages. Gather them up from where ever they are and sort through them. Make up your own catagories. They might include vacations, birthdays, holidays, by child, ect. just seperate them into various piles.
This is also the time to get any pictures out of any magnetic albums.Your pictures will yellow and actually the paper will be destroyed. Save whatever you can. You can gently remove the pictures with dental floss behind the image. If you are afraid to remove the pictures, scan them into your computer and print them.
You can store them into shoe boxes or specially made boxes to store photos. Some have dividers that you can label. You are now ready to get started.
You can sort them by year, by location, by event, by topic or by the people who are in them. It's up to you !
The Elements Of Your Scrapbook Page Or Layout
Scrapbook Pages 101
Scrapbooks usually have some kind of theme.Your scrapbook might be about a vacation or years of a vacation, a holiday like Christmas, a person like one of your children, an event like a wedding or graduation. It's up to you how you create the events of your life. If you theme a scarpbook, then the elements of the pages or layouts in your album are actually telling a specific story. Keep that in mind as you create your layouts and pages. Your pages will reflect your personal taste, your artistry and will be cherished for generations. Each page has specific common elements to consider as you get started.
The elements of your layout or page include
*Photos-matted or unmatted
Basic Scrapbook Supplies And Tools
There are only a few basic tools that you will need to get your pages started. You can always add to your pages. The idea is to get them achived in a safe page. Make sure that all your tools and papers are ligin free and archival safe. They should say so on their wrapping.
- An Album These come in so many sizes,colors and designs at all kinds of price ranges. Just chose the one that fits your budget and needs. There are basically two main types of albums. One has rings much like a looseleaf binder. The other type has posts and are generally expandable. I like the expandable album because I can always add extra pages.
- Page Protectors They should be in the size that matches your albums. They can be loaded from the top, side and bottom. Quality counts and you should purchase the best ones that you can afford. When you purchase your album, no matter what size, usually 10 page protectors come with it. I always buy extra page protectors at the same time, so that I have the right ones. Keep a note somewhere what kind of page protectors that album took. That way of you have to go back to get more, you will get the correct ones
- Scrapbook Paper Comes in an endless variety.Chose paper with basic colors to start.Keep all scraps for future use
- Glue or Tape You will need a special glue for scrapbooking or a double sided tape
- Scissors And or a Paper Cutter Again there are many options to chose from
- Markers and Pens these are special pens and markers made for scrapbooks, they can be used to journal, draw and color.
Good Buy For Your Scrapbook Hobby
Step 1-Start With Your Pictures
Decide What Your Page Is About
Take the group of pictures that you would like to scrap and select the best pictures. Remember, every picture does not have to go into your album. Omit any out of focus pictures or duplicates. Chose those pictures that convey your memory and the event. If the picture needs it, you can remove some dirt and fingerprints with a special microfiber cloth. You are selecting 1-4 photos for each side of your layout.
You can draw attention to your photo by enlarging it, adding extra mats, using printed or fancy mats, adding embellishments,like photo corners, mounting them with foam adhesive or angling the pictures or other pages elements
Do not be afraid to add black and white photos along with colored pictures. Mixing them together adds lots of interest.
Your pictures don't have to always be straight. Tilt them away or towards each other for a different look
Add some things like keepsakes, invitations and other things to enhance your page
Card Stock Is The Foundation Of Every Scrapbook Page
Step 2 -Chose You Cardstock
Pick your paper To Get Maximum Results
Chose 2-3 colors or patterns of card stock (paper).These colors should compliment your photos...you might chose green for gardens, blue for water pictures, ect. Remember, your papers should not be the focus of your pages. Be sure that the colors and patterns enhance the theme of your layout.
What Do Colors Signify?
* Yellow -joy, happiness,associated with the sun and light
*Blue-sadness, calm, peace,seriousness, or the sea
*Red-passion, energy, danger, anger, think of red hearts, stop signs
*Green-restfullness, safety,harmony,growth,represents nature and plants
*Purple-power, nobility, richness, romance, nostalgia, associated with royalty
*Orange- cheerfullness, warmth,suggests autumn leaves or the heat of the tropics
More Card Stock Ideas
- Make your photos pop with a neutral color like tan
Patterned Paper Adds Color To Your Scrapbook Pages
Using Patterned Paper
Patterned paper is a perfect alternative to using just a plain card stock in your layout. It can be purchased as a single sheet or in a pad of coordinating paper.
Single sheets are a good buy if you are planing just a few pages on a specific theme. You might for example have just s few pages on a theme like sports, or a graduation. In cases where you might not often use many pages on a single theme, using patterned paper in individual pages might be the perfect solution.
Pads of paper on the other hand and a better idea when you know that you will be making multiple pages on the same theme. Christmas, baby pages, school- all the themes that are recurrent in your life make patterned paper pads a good buy. The nice thing about patterned paper pads is that all the papers coordinate. There are for the most part two pages of each paper. That makes it easy to do two pages that will be side to side.
Another nice thing about paper pads is that they often come with a few coordinating paper embellishments that work well with the papers.
Use Washi Tape To Create A Colorful Scrapbook Page
More Washi Tape Scrapbook Ideas
Washi tape can really help you create interesting and colorful scrapbook pages. You can use it in so many ways. Here are a few to get you going:
- Use washi tape to make a banner across your page. Create little double sided flages with the tape. Fold them over a piece of string. Use the banner on your page. You can use the same washi tape or mix them up
- Use them in diagonal bands across your page. Use the bands on a single color of card stock as your base.
- Use washi tape to make stripes across a page. Withe a single photo, this is very effective. Mat the photo in one color and you will have a one of a kind page.
- Create a grid pattern with washi tape. Use one color or pattern. Great when you want to feature one main picture and a few smaller ones.
Tools To Crop A Photo
Step 3-Crop and Mat Your Photos
Snip here and there to make delightful layouts
Cropping is where you remove unneccessary or distorted background items. It keeps the focus on the main subject.Some backgrounds set s time or a place, so be selective about your cropping.You can use a paper cutter or a scissor.
Matting is paper that is placed behind the photo. It is usually cut to fit around the photo like a frame. Decorative scissors can be used to "fancy up "the Mat.Good sizes for mats are 1/8-1/4 inch all around the photos.You can also add layered mats behind your photos.
You can add as many mats as you want. Each mat you add adds layers to the picture. The mat closest to the photo should be a solid color. Select the one color that seems to be featured and you will never go wrong.
You don't have to mat every photo, but you should always mat your focal photo. The focal photo is the real story of the page,
Want to create a film strip look with several photos? Just place and space several photos evenly along a single piece of card stock. Time saving way to mat several at once
Using Stamps And Words As The Focus Of Your Page
The Title For Your Scrapbook Page
Every page needs one
The title of your page can be simply cut out or letter stickers. They can be as plain or as fancy as you want them to be. The titles on your two page layout should compliment each other and tell the story of the photos. The title can be in your own handwriting, it can be printed off your computer or from a die cut machine, If you put it on a strip of paper, make sure that the paper you use compliments your background paper. They can be one word or many.
The title can be placed almost anywhere on your layout, but make sure that where you place it, does not distract from your pictures.
Here are some tips to make creating your titles easier:
- Use letter stickers-they come in all different sizes, types and colors. Perfect for beginner scrapbook artists. I always buy two of the same packs, just in case I need extra vowels.
- Use an outline font on your computer or your electronic cutting machine. You can color them in as you need.
- Use punches and paper scraps to create numbers for birthdays
- Print a title on your computer. There are many fonts already built in your computer. There are also many free fonts you can download. Take time to learn how to type, size print in both color and black. I like to use card stock to print my titles. Have a package of white letter size card stock handy.
- Use letter stencils-These are fun especially for school pages or to create a name.
- Use an ink pad along the edges of your title to make it stand out. Blank and brown are always good colors to use. Just run the ink pad along the edges of the paper. You can do the same thing with a marker. Mettalics are always a good choice.
- Hand draw a title-print of write a title in your own hand. This personalizes your page in a way no one else can.
- Use a splash of acrylic paint across a background for your title. White is really effective. Make it look like a random splash of paint. Allow it to dry before adhering letters or words to it
- For extra interest, tear the title -tear the paper under or all around your title to add interest
- Make a title banner-print or make letter tiles and attach them to baker's twine. Attach the title banner to your page
- Use die cuts- you can create all kinds of titles with a die cut machine. I especially recommend having several fonts of numbers to create for birthdays and adding years to your pages
- Use a ruler to line up your title- works well with sticker letters
- Make letters from patterned paper -even better when that paper coordinates with the design elements
- Use decorative scissors to cut the borders around your title. You can continue the same cuts around your mat for a consistant design.
- Cut the letters of your words in circles or squares
Where To Find Scrapbook Page Title Ideas
- Wedding Scrapbook Titles
Titles for scrapbook wedding pages
- The Perfect Title: Title Me This, Title Me That! Scrapbook and cardmaking title, quotes, and more..
Find the title you need by category
- Vacation Titles and Sayings for Scrapbook Pages and Cards
Vacation related titles and fun sayings for scrapbooking layouts, papercrafting projects and handmade cards.
- 853 Best Scrapbook Page Titles images in 2020 | Scrapbook pages, Scrapbook, Scrapbook titles
Mar 13, 2020 - Explore Bonnie Guerrant's board "Scrapbook Page Titles", followed by 272 people on Pinterest. See more ideas about Scrapbook pages, Scrapbook, Scrapbook titles.
One of the most precious parts of your layout
Journaling tells the story of your pictures.Create your journaling before you complete your page as an element so that you won't run out of room, Journaling is a very special and personal touch that you add to each page of your scrapbook. The best are done in your own handwriting. Remember, you are telling a story to your family. Having it in your handwriting, is like having you right there.
You can also journal on journal cards or tags. You can journal on your computer and add it to the page. You can journal on the cardstock of your background. The choices are only limited to your imagination
If you are stumped on your page, here are some tips that might help:
- Just tell the story-write like you are telling someone the story of the page
- Write as if you were writing a letter to someone
- Tell the story in a list
- Soften the look of your journal notes by covering that section with a piece of vellum
- Use small brads to create bullet points if you are creating a list
- If your page is about a child, let them journal their own page in their own handwriting
- If you want to add more journaling add an envelope to the page and tuck your thoughts inside
- If you have no place on your page to journal, just write it down and tuck it behind a photo
- Ask a question in your title and provide the answer
- Use a quote instead of journal notes
- Final resort-leave the space blank for later
Adding Journal Notes Tells Your Story
The Jewels of Our Pages
Get into a scrapbook aisles of any number of stores. Your mind will go to all the wonderful embellishments that are there. They are the eye candy for scrappers. I hardly ever leave my favorite store without new brads,stickers and a host of other things that really pop your page. They can also include stamped embellsihments that you can do yourself, tags, ribbons and so much more.
Create Your Own Embellishments
- Make shapes with paper punches. Use scrap paper to create some shapes for your designs
- Cut flowers, butterflies and other pieces from patterned papers. You can layer them to add even more
- Use a fine tipped marker to create a faux sewing effect around a title
- Use border punches to add designs where ever you need them
- Add a brad or a half gem to any flower
- Soda tabs are perfect to use a buckles with ribbons
Use embellishments with care. you can get carried away !
Creating Your Own Scrapbook Embellishments Are Fun
Step 4-Your Layout-
The Fun Begins
Take your paper and lay it out on a work suface. I like to do both pages of my layout together so that I can see the whole picture. First lay out your pictures until you are satisfied on their placements. Add your title. It can be placed top or botton or even in the center. Place your journalling sections and any embellishments. Move them around until you are satisfied with the result. Finally glue or tape the elements onto the page. Place them in the page protector and admire your work.
Complete Two Sided Layout
Scrapbooks Fast And Easy - Scrapbook Kits Are Perfect For Beginners
I know that lots of us are pressed for time, or just are gun shy about our artistic ability. So I say, take it easy with these great kits. You get everything in them! Scrapbooks kits are great for beginners and people who want to make a scrapbook as a gift. They are completely coordinated and you will only need a pair of scissors and some adhesive. They make perfect birthday or Christmas Gifts. Also great for wedding or baby showers !
Get Started With A Complete Scrapbook Kit
More Scrapbook Page Ideas
Here are some more scraobook page ideas to get your creative juices flowing
- Save your old birthday and greeting cards. They can be cut up and used on themed scrapbook pages
- Poems can used instead of journaling for your scrapbook pages
- Add a plain or colored envelope to house your journaling. Decorate it with washi tape, ribbon, or a simple button
- Walnut distress ink adds a touch of definition on the edge of any element on your page
- If you are using a bright color under your pictures, balance it with a muted colors as your background
- Create a shape with your photos and journaling. Think about shapes that go with your theme and go for it.
- Create curves on you pages with patterned paper. Draw them freehand or use a large bowl to create a curve
Rainbow layouts are the most colorful scrapbook pages that you have ever seen ! They literally use the colors of the rainbow to highlight the theme of the page. They are bright and cheerful. You will find when you see them, they will bring a smile to your face.
They are usually done with the focus on a single picture. I find that this layout works perfectly with a child's theme. Birthdays are fun to do with rainbows of balloons. But they will work equally well with any happy picture,
Rainbow Layout Tips
- Use shapes to create your rainbow colors-You can punch them out or just cut them out in any shape. Arrange the colors and glue them to your page
- Use squares of plain or patterned paper arranged around a picture with the same colors together in a grid type pattern
- Use stripes of the same patterned paper in different colors either vertically or horizontally
- Make a sunburst pattern with either plain or patterned paper or both
- Make a rainbow of the same color embellishments arranged together
- Create different colors in a mat pattern all over the page as a background
Creating Your Scrapbook Page- One More Thought
There are no real and hard fast rules about how your scrapbook pages should be done. We have laid out some elements and ideas for you to consider. But in the end, it's your choice and your design.
No matter how you do it, your family will treasure your craft for generations to come ! It is a legacy of who, what and where of the people of your family and your life.
In a time where pictures are more kept on phones than printed, I urge you to keep those treasures somewhere besides on Facebook or on a phone. Phones break, people pass and Facebook accounts get closed.
I still believe sitting with my grandchildren and great grandchildren and telling them the stories of the generations in the scrapbooks I create still have relevance. I hope that you do too.
© 2008 Linda F Correa
What Are Your Stories, Tips And Ideas On Scrapbook Pages?
Linda F Correa (author) from Spring Hill Florida on June 30, 2014:
@RoadMonkey: It is my passion to create a legacy for the future generations of my family
RoadMonkey on January 23, 2014:
Scrapbooking is very important as a means of preserving family history and other memorabilia.