Jasmine Becket-Griffith: Phenomenal Artist of the Twenty-First Century
Jasmine Becket-Griffith, a thirty-five-year-old American Gothic fairy and fantasy artist, is truly a phenomenon! I first learned of her existence while surfing eBay in the late 1990s, where I discovered her big-eye fairy art. Most recently, I worked with her in writing my book, "Big Eye Art: Resurrected and Transformed," where she graciously wrote the foreword, in addition to contributing her beautiful work.
Jasmine's work is best known for its Gothic overtones and surreal style. In her art, there is something for everyone, as she has masterminded all sorts of interesting series such as "Alice in Wonderland," "Rococo," "Steampunk," "Dinosaur Friends," and more! Jasmine, an extremely prolific artist, unveils new and exciting work almost daily.
Jasmine Becket-Griffith has accomplished a great deal in such a short amount of time. Her designs are sold by popular retailers such as Target, Supertarget, Hot Topic, Torrid, Hastings, Disney, Busch Gardens, Disneyland Paris, the Bradford Exchange, Hamilton Collection, and other stores all around the world. Jasmine's creativity knows no end. She was recently commissioned by Disney to design a fresh new line of Mickey, Donald Duck, and Tinkerbell characters, and she also designed a Wizard of Oz collection with a fairy theme for Hamilton. Among her latest ventures is the "Call of the Night" collection for Bradford, a series of fairies and their pet owls. Jasmine's creativity is boundless!
Jasmine's energy is limitless! This ethereal beauty of the raven hair is a whirlwind of energy--always working, continually reinventing herself! Her imagination and innovativeness know no bounds! Jasmine typically creates several paintings a week, as well as jewelry and other products for her eBay and Etsy stores. She continually creates new designs for her Zazzle shop. She writes books ("Fairy: The Art of Jasmine Becket-Griffith," "Jasmine Becket-Griffith: Portfolio: Volumes 1 and 2," "Gothic Art Now"), not to mention designing exclusive products for major companies. To tell you the truth, Jasmine Becket-Griffith makes me tired just watching her!
Jasmine is an artistic prodigy. Her talent and drive bring to mind classical composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, who composed over six hundred works. Jasmine is a role model for up-and-coming, as well as established artists. Many artists look up to her and seek her advice, which she freely and unselfishly gives, even though she has her hands full performing the daily tasks of running her extremely successful art business, along with her husband/ assistant, Matt.
Jasmine has single-handedly changed the face of fairy art forever by generously sharing her trademark big-eye Gothic cuties with us. And, if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery (many artists attempt to copy her style), then Jasmine is destined to become one of the most beloved fantasy artists in the history of art. Long after we have all turned to dust, Jasmine will still be remembered--immortalized in history books and revered by future generations as the "mother" of fantasy and fairy art; of this, I am certain.
For a minute-by-minute update on all of Jasmine's projects, visit Jasmine's Facebook Page, and discover for yourself just how much of a phenomenon she really is.
"Sanura" by Jasmine Becket-Griffith
"Masquerade" by Jasmine Becket-Griffith
"Releasing Fireflies" by Jasmine Becket-Griffith
"Halloween Twilight" by Jasmine Becket-Griffith
"Frost Dragonling" by Jasmine Becket-Griffith
"Mardi Gras Masquerade" by Jasmine Becket-Griffith
"The Bride Returns" by Jasmine Becket-Griffith
"The Moon" by Jasmine Becket-Griffith
"Paisley" by Jasmine Becket-Griffith
"Clockwork Dragonling" by Jasmine Becket-Griffith
"Princess Leia & R2-D2" by Jasmine Becket-Griffith
"Evil Queen" by Jasmine Becket-Griffith
"Tinker Bell at Skull Rock" by Jasmine Becket-Griffith
"Alice in a Van Gogh Nocturne" by Jasmine Becket-Griffith
"Alice in Wonderland and Snow White" by Jasmine Becket-Griffith
"Snow White in the Forest" by Jasmine Becket-Griffith
Dark Fairies by Jasmine Becket-Griffith
Art by Jasmine Becket-Griffith
Jasmine Becket-Griffith's Faery Magic
- Jasmine was born in Kansas City, Missouri June 4, 1979.
- Jasmine has two younger sisters, Kachina and Amber.
- Jasmine was influenced at a young age by book illustrations and animation (She has always been a big Disney fan), as well as the big-eye mass-marketed prints so popular in the '60s, which she discovered on the back of old comic books.
- Jasmine was introduced to the world of surrealism and fantasy by her father, who showed her the works of surrealists Salvador Dali and H.R. Giger, as well as fantasy art books by Wil Huygen, Rien Poortvliet, Brian Froud, and Alan Lee.
- While growing up, Jasmine read all the fantasy books she could get her hands on, especially the "Dragonlance Series," by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.
- At the age of twelve, Jasmine's interest in contemporary fantasy artwork was spurred when she was presented with "The Art of the Dragonlance Saga" (1988) as a gift. After being inspired by the artwork of Larry Elmore and Keith Parkinson, she began to seriously consider fantasy art as a career.
- After winning the National Spelling Bee in eighth grade, Jasmine used her earnings to buy art supplies, and taught herself how to paint.
- Jasmine met her future husband Matt on the internet when she was only seventeen, and blew him away with her sketchbooks.
- Husband Matt gave Jasmine the nickname, "Strangeling," a combination of strange and changeling.
- While attending school full-time, Jasmine also worked as a waitress, and still managed to paint an average of six hours per day.
- Jasmine became a professional artist at the age of eighteen.
- At the age of twenty-two, Jasmine became fully self-supporting with her art.
- Jasmine is a vegetarian.
- Jasmine is a big fan of Canfield's Diet Chocolate Soda.
- Jasmine is an animal lover, and has owned various animals--from ferrets to hedgehogs.
- Jasmine stands about 5' 7" tall in her bare feet.
- Although Jasmine appears to have dark, mysterious eyes in person, her natural color is a lovely blue. At her public appearances, Jasmine wears dark contacts in order to enhance her Gothic beauty.
- Jasmine enjoys listening to music while she paints. Some of her favorite singers/ groups are: Nine Inch Nails, Tori Amos, Rob Zombie, Loreena McKennit, the Beatles, and Robyn Hitchcock.
- Jasmine uses her own face as a model for many of her paintings.
"Fairy Queen Titania" by Jasmine Becket-Griffith - I own the original! :-)
"Gothling # 7" by Jasmine Becket-Griffith - I own the original! :-)
"Violet Sometimes" by Jasmine Becket-Griffith - I own the original! :-)
"A Fairy Christmas" by Jasmine Becket-Griffith - I own the original! :-)
"Red Ribbon Fairy" by Jasmine Becket-Griffith - I own the original! :-)
Jasmine Becket-Griffith Poll
Jasmine Becket-Griffith and Blonde Blythe - Jasmine is the raven-haired beauty on the left ;-)
What is Your Favorite Jasmine Becket-Griffith Painting?
sukkran trichy from Trichy/Tamil Nadu on November 26, 2012:
love all of them. but the "fairy queen titania" is something special. beautiful art work.
Ellen Gregory from Connecticut, USA on October 25, 2012:
The mermaid -- for its uniqueness. Almost all mermaid drawings are green or blue tailed -- this one has a floral tail. No seashell bra and just a seashell or two in her hair and then, surprise some skull and crossbones in here hair.
lilymom24 on January 04, 2012:
I've seen Jasmine's art on Zazzle. Stunning. =)
Jennifer P Tanabe from Red Hook, NY on August 15, 2011:
Wow, I hadn't seen Jasmine's art before - it's amazing! Love that Valentine Dragon! Blessed by a SquidAngel on the Back to School Bus Trip
JoshK47 on July 03, 2011:
I really rather like the Mardi Gras picture, as well as the Red Riding Hood one.
anonymous on April 20, 2009:
Well, I got to tell you, Jasmine is one of my fave artists. I love Big-eye art and such. You are too, Toni!
anonymous on April 20, 2009:
I can't say what my favorite is. they get better day by day. I have been following Jasmine's art work ever since she started on ebay years ago and agree totally that she is an art genius.