Katherine has researched and written about many British, European and Japanese Artists - both past and present
Jan van Eyck (1395 - 1441) - Northern Renaissance Painter
Learn about Jan van Eyck, the 15th century artist who is frequently credited with inventing oil painting. He's an important painter of the Northern Renaissance.
- find out about Jan van Eyck's life
- see images of van Eyck's paintings - on-line or in museums and galleries around the world
- read about exhibitions of van Eyck's paintings
- get exhibition catalogues
- get books about van Eyck's life and work
- find out about Van Eyck and portraiture
About Jan van Eyck
- Jan van Eyck (ca. 1380/901441) | Thematic Essay | Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History | The Metropolit
Jan van Eyck is the most famous member of a family of painters traditionally believed to have originated from the town of Maaseik, in the diocese of Lige.The work of the van Eycks, epitomized in the Ghent Altarpiece, brought an unprecedented realism
- Jan van Eyck - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jan van Eyck (or Johannes de Eyck) (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈjɑn vɑn ˈɛjk]) (before c. 1395 - before 9 July 1441) was a Flemish painter active in Bruges and is generally considered one of the most significant Northern European painters of the 15th cent
- Jan van Eyck (Flemish painter) -- Britannica Online Encyclopedia
Jan van Eyck (Flemish painter), before 1395 Maaseik, Bishopric of Liege, Holy Roman Empire [now in Belgium] before July 9, 1441 Bruges Flemish painter who perfected the newly developed technique of oil painting. His naturalistic panel paintings, most
- Jan van Eyck | artist | active 1422; died 1441 | The National Gallery, London
Explore information about the artist: Jan van Eyck. See list of paintings at the National Gallery, London.
Van Eyck's Ghent Altarpiece
"The Arnolfini Portrait" by Jan Van Eyck
Jan van Eyck in Art Galleries and Museums
These are links to artworks in major museums and art galleries around the world.
- National Gallery London - Jan van Eyck
Jan van Eyck in the National Gallery in London
- National Gallery, Washington - Jan van Eyck
Jan van EyckNetherlandish, c. 1390 - 1441Biography / Works(1)PaintingThe Annunciation, c. 1434/1436, 1937.1.39(image available)
- Van Eyck - The Crucifixion; The Last Judgment | The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
The Crucifixion; The Last JudgmentDate ca. 1430Medium Oil on canvas, transferred from woodDimensions Each 22 1/4 x 7 2/3 in. (56.5 x 19.7 cm)
- La Vierge du chancelier Rolin | Musée du Louvre | Paris
Jan Van Eyck - The Virgin of Chancellor Rolin Circa 1435 The only painting by Van Eyck in the Louvre's collection, the Virgin and Child with Chancellor Rolin
Jan van Eyck in Online Art Galleries
Below you can find various web galleries of artwork by Jan Van Eyck
- WebMuseum: Eyck, Jan van
Timeline: Gothic Innovation in the NorthEyck, Jan van(b. before 1395, Maaseik, Bishopric of Liege, Holy Roman Empire [now in Belgium]--d. before July 9, 1441, Bruges), Flemish painter who perfected the newly developed technique of oil painting.
- Jan van Eyck
Jan van Eyck images and biography
- Jan van Eyck Online
Jan van Eyck [Flemish Northern Renaissance Painter, ca.1395-1441] Guide to pictures of works by Jan van Eyck in art museum sites and image archives worldwide.
- National gallery - EYCK, Jan van
A small group of his paintings survive with dates from 1432 onwards. One of his most famous works is the 'Arnolfini Portrait', signed and dated 1434. It is thought that his 'Portrait of a Man' may be a self portrait.
- Category:Jan van Eyck - Wikimedia Commons
Jan van Eyck - From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
- Jan van Eyck - WikiPaintings.org
chronological ordering of his paintings
- Jan van Eyck - WikiPaintings.org - By Alphabet
alphabetical organisation of images of his paintings
- Jan van Eyck - Google Art Project
artworks by Jan van Eyck on the Google Art Project
- The Ghent Altarpiece - Jan van Eyck - WikiPaintings.org
One of Van Eyck's most famous works, completed in 1432 and located in St. Bavo Cathedral, Ghent, BelgiumDimensions: 461 x 350 cm
Jan van Eyck in Exhibitions
- NG London/Exhibitions: Renaissance Faces - Visit
Renaissance Faces explores the dramatic rise of portraiture during this era. It feautures works by the great masters, including Raphael, Titian, Botticelli, Van Eyck, Holbein, Durer, Lotto, Pontormo and Bellini.
Van Eyck in Detail
Jan Van Eyck: Renaissance Realist
NEW in 2015: van Eyck: The Complete Works
The Jan van Eyck Academie
- Jan van Eyck Academie
The Jan van Eyck Akademie is a post-academic institute for research and production in the fields of fine art, design, and theory. The academy offers artists, designers, and theoreticians the opportunity to carry out research and set up productions. I
Comments and Feedback - comments are welcome - but please do not spam
puerdycat lm on December 19, 2010:
Thanks! Had a great visit!
hdkeulenaer on November 17, 2010:
Great lens about the founder of the Van Eyck dynasty. I've rolled this to my lens on Ghent, where you can see the Mystic Lamb, described as 'one of the greatest works of art in existence'. I'm not sure about this, but to pull this off back in 1432 must be a major feat.
anonymous on April 03, 2009:
I like this Jan Van Eyck's art, and i love his name it is aaaaaamazing. Its very pulchritudinous sounding name.!!