how to sew a welt seam
This is a good seam which is suitable for heavy weight fabrics where a flat seam would also be beneficial for example a winter coat.
Steps to sew a welt seam
- Place right side together and sew 1.5cm (5/8”) in from the edge (this is the standard seam width, adjust if needed).
- Trim one side of the seam to 5mm (2/8”).
- Neaten the edge of the un-trimmed side using preferred method.
- Press seam to one side so the longer edge is uppermost.
- On outside sew 1cm (1/4”) from the first row of stitching.
- Press for a neat finish.
RS on April 14, 2012:
that easy explanation really helped