Professional scrapbook artist, paper crafter, and author, I have taught people how to make family memories into legacies for 20 years.
The Cricut Explore
Your Cricut-The Best Cutting Tool
The cricut is an electronic cutter that cuts images from the cartridges that are linked to the machine. Each cartridge holds a host of themed images or fonts that can be used over and over again. The paper is placed on a mat which holds paper on it. The mat is fed into the machine which then cuts the selected images.
If you have made a Cricut purchase, it's time for you and your Cricut to get started in a new crafting adventure together !
No matter if you have owned the Cricut or are in the market for one, here are the tips and ideas that you need to make the most out of your cutter. These are tips and ideas that I have gathered while learning how to use my machine.
The Cricut is an unbelieveable tool that every scrapper, card maker and paper crafter should have in their craft space or room. It is so very versatile and can be used so many different ways, that it is well worth the investment.
My Cricut is the one tool that helps me be as creative as my imagination can be.
You will save money by creating your own letters, embellishments and images. I would not be without mine !
I own the Cricut Explore and the Cricut Explore Air. I am excited about the new Cricut Maker and may make that purchase in the near future.
The best way to get started using your Cricut is to learn as you go. Start with simple projects. Watch videos to learn about your tools in the Design Space. Join a Cricut group on Facebook. I promise it will all come together. We all started the exact same way !
Cricut Design Space
Cricut Design Space is the computer platform that helps you get the most out of your Cricut cutting machine. It currently has over 60,000 images. A very high percentage of those are free to use with a subscription.
Not only are there thousands of images, but there are projects put together that enables you to create things without having to design all the elements yourself.
There are images for cutting, vinyl and now even for sewing projects (available for the Cricut Maker) There are cards, scrapbook pages and a lot more. You cab search by category or by name.
There are images and projects with all the best and well known crafters.
You can also upload images in jpeg and svg files.
With the subscription, you also get discounts on any Cricut project your order.
Beyond your subscription, some images will have a fee. These fees would be on special licensed products like Disney.
You do not have to subscribe. You can just use the main features and load your own files into the program.
Is the subscription worth the price. I would have to say yes, if you are going to get the most complete enjoyment from your machine
Cricut Design Space Program Update
As of January 29,2020 Cricut Design Space is now offline. This means that you now operate the program without going to your browser. On the home page of the new program rather than a jumbled up version. You can find project by materials. I like that feature because I do not cut fabric or leather. It is faster, and no more of those annoying flash updates.The font menu is now bigger, easier to read.There is also a drag and drop feature that makes it easier to upload files. Same features, just better.
More Information On Design Space Updates
- Cricut Design Space Changes – July 2019 – Lydia Watts
Here's a quick look at recent changes to Design Space including machine selection, error messages, and settings.
- Important Changes to Design Space! | Cricut
Learn the new updates on Cricut Design Space
The Offset Feature In Design Space
New Design Space Features 2021
In April of 2021, Cricut announced and put into effect some new features in Design Space and here they are:
- Offset-The first thing to know about the offset feature is that it only appears in the new canvas, not in the classic canvas. So if you are not seeing it across the top of your canvas, you need to reset the canvas to new. You would do this in your Design Space settings. Offset creates a shadow effect behind your text. You can do this in black or any other color you desire. Great for scrapbook titles, journals and cards.
- Organizing Your Projects- All of your saved projects can now be organized in categories. You just go to My Projects. Hit the organize button. Then select the projects you want in that specific project. Then select and name the projects you want in that category. Once you have selected and hot done, you will see your categories listed
Newest Design Space Feature-Kearning
Cricut Design Space Tools Terms
|Tool||What It Does|
Linetype And Fill
Tells the machine which tools you will be using.. Will have a different menu depending which model you are using
Selects the font for your project. You have options to use free fonts. There are also fonts that you can purchase to own
The slice tool is perfect for cutting out shapes, text, and other elements, from different designs.
The welding tool allows you to combine two or more shapes in one.
Connects two or more shapes together
This tool is extra support for the Print then Cut Fill setting
The Contour tool allows you to hide unwanted pieces of a design, and it will only be activated when a shape or design has elements that can be left out.
More Design Space Tool Ideas
- Cricut Design Space: How to Use the Slice Tool to Cut One Image Out Of Another - YouTube
The SLICE tool is featured in this quick video tutorial using Cricut Design Space. This is one of the most versatile tools in Design Space - it easily cuts o...
The New Home Page For Cricut Design Space
Cricut Design Space Resources
- How to Upload Fonts To Cricut - Easily Add Fonts To Design Space!
Learning how to upload fonts to Cricut is very easy. Become an expert at installing fonts on Cricut Design Space today! The most important...
- 47 Best Cricut Design Space images in 2019 | Cricut tutorials, Cricut craft, Cricut air
Get tips, tricks , ideas and resources to help you make the most out of your Design Space experience | See more ideas about Cricut tutorials, Cricut craft and Cricut air.
Types of Cricuts Available
The older models of the Cricuts are gradually being phased out. While there still some older models out there, there are currently 4 models that are available.
What is the same with all models?
- They all use Cricut Design Space
- They all cut, write, score and print and cut
What are the differences in the models?
The Cricut Joy is the newest model in the Cricut line. It is a smaller, lighter, and more portable Cricut machine. It can do longer cuts, especially on vinyl without a mat! It also can create unique labels with new writable pens. There is also writeable vinyl for this machine. It will also make super fast greeting cards with a new card mat. There is a host of accessories that come with this machine. The size of the material to be cut is limited in size. You can cut materials that are 45" wide, and up to 115" long.
- The Cricut Joy has just two tools — the fine point blade, which comes with the Joy, and the foiling tool
- The Cricut Joy also cuts fewer types of material, focusing on heat transfer vinyl, cardstock, and what is known as “Smart Materials,” which it can cut matless.
- One of the limitations of the Cricut Joy is the lack of a double tool holder (available on both the Explore Air and Maker). So when you want to use a pen, you have to remove the blade or tool to insert the pen, which can be a little tedious
- The Cricut Joy is a great price point for those who are very new to crafting or consider themselves casual DIYers. The Cricut Joy also has an easier learning curve which can make it the right choice for the new or occasional crafter.
- The Cricut Joy is often a good second cutting machine, as it’s more portable and very easy to use when you just need to make a quick card or vinyl decal.
The product will be released on March 1, 2020. It is only available in blue at this time.
The price for this product is listed at $179.99
Cuts and writes on about 100 different materials. Has the smart dial to select materials or use a computer program.
Able to load Cricut cartridges into the program one time Has Bluetooth connectivity with an adapter that you can purchase online
Comes in green and wild orchid (only available on HSN) This machine is being phased out.
Cricut Explore 1
Cuts and writes on about 100 different materials. Has the smart dial to select materials or use a computer program. Able to load Cricut cartridges into the program one time. Has Bluetooth connectivity with an adapter that you can purchase online. Performs faster than The Cricut Explore.
Available in blue, gold, wild orchid, and teal.