Professional scrapbook artist, paper crafter, and author, I have taught people how to make family memories into legacies for 20 years.
Getting Started With Scrapbook Titles
I never understood when I got started as a scrapbook artist how important the titles of our scrapbook pages are. They will literally make or break your page.
Think about how odd it would look if you saw a scrapbook page without the title. It could have the nicest pictures and embellishments. It could have a delightful story on a journal piece. Yet, without the title, it would be imbalanced and lacking something.
What does the scrapbook title do:
- It engages the reader to want to learn more
- It introduces the page
- It ties the design to the theme of the page
Learning to make great a great title for your scrapbook page is adding the icing on your cake. Just like the title of a book, it captures the interest of those viewing your pages. It tells the story. It draws the interest of the person to your art.
The question always comes up, " Do you start with the title or add the title after the fact?"
Well, the simple answer is that there are no hard rules for adding titles for your scrapbook page.
I , personally like to gather the pictures together that I plan to work on. The I decide how many pictures I will be using. Then I decide if I am going to make a two page layout or a single. Then I select the base paper I am going to use. I like to arrange them on the paper till I am happy without adhering them to the paper. Then I start thinking about the title and where I am going to place it and any journaling.
You figure out what works for you. As you do pages you will refine how you get it all together.
Consider The Materials For Your Title
Almost anything goes when it comes to the titles on your scrapbook pages. There are all kinds of options when it comes to scrapbook pages.
- Pre-cut letters or words
- Rub ons
- Printed titles
- Die cut titles and letters
- Titles made from label makers
- Stamped titles
- Card stock
- Printed paper
- Letters from a magazine
- Foam Letters
- Die cut letters and words
- Letters or words cut from an electronic cutting machine
- Vellum letters and titles
- Alphabet stickers
Alphabet Stickers-Easy Way To Create Scrapbook PageTitles
Creating Contrast With Your Titles
Would seem a little obvious normally that you would not want to use the exact same color on your title as the color of the base paper of your page.
Well, you actually could, if the letters were outlined in another color or in say glitter. The point being there are no hard rules how to create your titles, because it is your art !
Here are some contrast ideas to add Some zing to your titles:
- Add dimension to your titles-rather than just flat titles, layer them so they stand out on your page.
- Use different fonts-you don't have to use just one font-mo\ix it up a bit, Give it the unexpected element
- Make some of the title a different size-Make the word or group of words that are the most important a larger size
- Put them on more than one line
- Bold part of the title
- Use different colors on the words of your title
- Put them on a shelf-make a shelf with a piece of washi tape
- Use different letters from different sets
- Use Black letters to make your title stand out and off the page
- Use a fabric flower for the first letter of your title. Or use smaller flowers for the first letter of each word.
Use Stencils For Your Title
Adding Texture To Your Scrapbook Title
Adding texture and bling to your scrapbook titles adds extra interest to them.
There are times when I am creating a scrapbook title where I lose the dote on my letters or punctuation mark. Use a sequin, tiny jewel, or piece of confetti to dot the "i" in a title.
If using letter rubber stamps, allow extra space in between each letter. Then use glitter glue and draw squares or circles around each letter. This technique is perfect for a birthday page!
For a masculine page, cut out letters from sandpaper.
Free Scrapbook Page Title Ideas
Looking for that perfect title to go with the scrapbook page you are designing? Need a title for a card you are making? How about a quote to go along with that cute picture? Well you are in the right place. The Perfect Title.com has 1,000's of title
- Titles for Scrapbook Pages and Handmade Cards
Find Title ideas for your scrapbook pages and handmade cards. Get funny and clever ideas in a variety of themes.
Where To Put Your Scrapbook Page Title
Think of the paper on your scrapbook page as your canvas. The pictures are usually your focal point. The embellishments ( anything that you use to decorate the page ) are your emphasis on the focal point ( your pictures)
When we create a page, even if we don't consider it, we are creating shapes. Sometimes the shape we create id a triangle. sometimes a square, sometimes a diamond, but we are always placing the arrangement of the things on our page as a shape.
You can place your scrapbook page title anywhere on your page. There are no set rules for where your title is.
So with that in mind, you will want to arrange all your other elements first and then determine where best your title might fit in. Use your shapes to find the right place to place your title, rather than just placing it wherever you find a spot.
More Tips Where To Put Your Scrapbook Title
- If you have a spread on two pages that have the exact same theme (a layout) consider putting the title on one page rather than both.
- Use a vertical title if you are placing it near a large photo
- The letters of your title do not have to go in a straight line.
- Slant your letters to the right or left
- Bring one up and one down
- If a page contains square matting, then place the title in the bottom outside corner.
- For pages with circles and ovals, curve the title around a portion of the largest circle or oval on the page.
- When using sticker words or phrases as a title, create a sticker title frame around the center photo.
Label Makers Create Scrapbook Titles
Add Some Color To Your Titles
Don't be afraid to add some color to your titles. You can use a color that brings out a color from one of your photos. Or use a neutral color like black, white or grey. Mix up the color. Use one color for each letter. Take two colors and alternate them.
Add color with glitter paper. Glitter paper comes in just about any color. Call attention to your title with glitter letters,
Take Some Time To Brainstorm Titles
So, notebook and journal in hand, I set out to brainstorm some titles. Grabbed a cup of tea and just started writing down whatever came to my mind. I thought about the kinds of pages that I wanted to create and just made some notes.
I keep my notebook handy because you never know when inspiration may hit.
Of course if you are not feeling creative, there are lots of resources for you where you can get lists of titles. Start with any scrapbook or card magazines that you might have. When you see a title that you like, jot it down.
Of course the internet is full of wonderful ideas ! Start with Pinterest ! Just search scrapbook titles and you will come up with a wealth of information.
More Scrapbook Title Ideas
- Fill the open spaces of the lettering using papers that complement the theme of the layout. Create a focal point by increasing the size of one alpha and accessorize with embellishments. This is a great way to use those bits of scrap paper that you may have laying around.
- Tilt one letter. By enlarging and tilting a lowercase alpha (such as the “e” in this example), mixed with uppercase alphas, your title will be more interesting and playful. This also provides an opportunity to dangle an embellishment. Making one or two words of your title bold will also call attention and help the viewer focus on the theme.
- Use an ampersand to connect two words. Apply a stroke on a separate layer and offset slightly by moving up and over. You will find great ampersands in most collections containing alphas. The & symbol is a perfect example that you probably use often and could apply to this idea.
- Combine alphas from different collections.
- Spreading your title throughout the layout helps the viewer see every detail by carrying the eye across the page.
Great Resource For Scrapbook Titles
More Scrapbook Title Ideas
- Using An Embossing Pen To Create A Title On A Scrapbook Page | Glitter N Glue Blog
I found a font at dafont.com that I wanted to use for a title on a scrapbook page I was creating. But how to get it on the page? I don’t have a die cutting machine (although I dream of owning a Silhouette one day). I didn’t want to print it on cardst
- My Creative Scrapbook: How to Create a Welded Letter Title Without a Cutting Machine by Nicole Doiro
Create a welded scrapbook page title without a cutting machine
- Title Tips: Terrific Ways to Make your Scrapbook Title Pop | ScrapGirls.com
Several terrific title tips to really help your title stand out on your digital scrapbook page! Including some great example layouts for ideas.
When You Cannot Find A Title
I know that sometimes I have a hard time finding inspiration for my scrapbook titles. I just cannot seem to find the right thing for my pages and layouts.
What I have found that works for me, is to scope out some scrapbook galleries for some ideas to get my creative juices flowing. One site I like to use is scrapbook.com. Another site that I refer to often is Pinterest.
Just type in scrapbook layouts. You will get a wealth of information.
More Scrapbook Title Inspiration
- Scrapbooking Page Titles for Your Pages
- loadofscrap: Scrapbook Title Tips Part I: Techniques for Creating Terrific Titles
More scrapbook title ideas
- Scrapbooking Titles and Sayings for Scrapbook Pages and Cards
Scrapbooking related titles and fun sayings for scrapbooking layouts, papercrafting projects and handmade cards.
Making Scrapbook Titles For Beginners
More Title Tips
- Hand draw a title with your own handwriting. You cam make it simple or make it as fancy as you would like
- Use scrabble tiles to create a single word title.
- Use Die cuts to create a title
- Tilt one letter in your title
- Use two complimentary colors to create more interest
- Use vertical letters along the side of a large photo
More Title Letter Ideas
Inspiration For Your Scrapbook Titles
- Scrapbook Layout Titles | LoveToKnow
After putting together the perfect page for a scrapbook, the hardest part is frequently coming up with the title. Titles can be simple and straightforward ...
- 19 Best Scrapbook Title ideas images | Scrapbook titles, Scrapbook journal, Scrapbook quotes
Explore Sheryl Musslewhite's board "Scrapbook Title ideas" on Pinterest. | See more ideas about Scrapbook titles, Scrapbook journal and Scrapbook quotes.
Beliefnet is a lifestyle site that serves as your number one resource for faith, belief and spirituality. Visit our site daily for inspirational quotes, prayers for strength and words of comfort and hope.
- Famous Quotes at BrainyQuote
Share our collection of inspirational and famous quotes by authors you know and love. Share our Quotes of the Day on the web, Facebook, Twitter, and blogs.
- The Quote Garden - Quotes, Sayings, Quotations, Verses
Large, searchable compilation of quotations arranged by topic. Inspirational, thought-provoking, humorous, literary, and special occasion quotes.
Final Thought On Scrapbook Titles
Your scrapbook pages are in essence your personal art work. They are unique and personal for your family and the generations to come. Create your pages and enjoy them. Know as you grow in your art, you will get better. But mostly, enjoy the process as you move forward. This is your journey and your art ! Be just who you are, where you are.
© 2019 Linda F Correa