Lover of crafting, recycling and repurposing. Always looking to make cheap look lux, or just fun. Loves the inspiration of broken crap.
The First Time I saw a Garden Hose Wreath on Pinterest, I knew I had to Make my Own
I'm a Gardener, Crafter, and nearly rabid Recycler. I really enjoy repurposing anything and everything. I have a hard time throwing anything out even if unusable since I have created some of my favorite designs from things most people toss away. As you might guess, this Project is right up my alley.
The following instructional will show how to make elegant and charming wreath featuring, of all things, a garden hose. With a few tips on how to go about this, even a beginner with the right tools can make a beautiful front door wreath.
Use this Color Wheel for Flower Color Design Choices. Start with one Color you'd like to Feature
Choose your Color Pallette Style from the Wheel Above
Which style do you like?
- Complimentary Colors- Shades near each other on the wheel. Example: Reds and Oranges. Soften the choice by adding a 3rd choice like Yellows.
- Contrasting Colors - Shades are directly opposite each other on the Wheel. Example: Purple and Yellow. You can soften the contrast by choosing the shades next to the directly opposite colors such as violet and light yellow
- Monochromatic Colors - Colors from the same Family like Deep Blue, Baby Blue, and the Palest of Blue.
Recommended for Any Wreath Designs - Green
- Always matches any colors chosen
- Makes a good filler
- Makes artificial flowers appear more natural
Optional - White
- Some - Makes the other colors pop.
- Lots - Softens the whole design.
Supplies and Tools needed for this Wreath Design
- Hose ~ New or Used. Cut shorter if very long
- Combination Needle-nose Pliers & Wire Cutter or Single use Pliers and Wire Cutter
- Floral Wire
- Silk or Artificial Flowers & Plants
- Floral Tape
- Glue Gun (optional)
Assemble the Hose Wreath Base
First, Bend your Floral Wire into a Hanger Hook
I used, and recommend, this gauge wire for this Floral Wreath
Hold Hanging Loop with Pliers and Twist
Hold Loop behind ends of hose, and begin to wrap through and around.
Wrap Around Several Times to Firmly Secure Wreath Base
Twist Hanging Loop with Spooled Wire numerous times, then Cut Wire and Tuck into Wrapped Wire
Start to Attach Floral pieces in the Colors and Shapes you Enjoy.
Tuck Silk Flowers into Wire Wrapping.
Before Hanging your New Creation...
Wrap any wire that may rub against your door, siding or wall with the floral tape. I have yet to post an image of this, but will do as soon as I am ready to hang it up this Spring. And yes, I can't wait for Spring to have Sprung.
My Reasoning of my Flower Choices
As my centerpiece I chose a Rose with attached flower bud.
For drama, I added Forsythia branches.
To round out the pastel shade of pink, and intensify the bright yellow color, I added a white flower spike.
Here's a Video Tutorial on YouTube for 2 different styles of Floral Garden Hose Wreaths
More Design Options for your Wreath
Add Fun Items to your Design like:
- Garden Gloves
- Small watering cans
- Garden Tools
- If used in a protected area, Seed Packets
- Big Bows
These are just a few ideas that come to mind. Let your Creativity lead you to other ideas.
My Wreath Inspirations on Pinterest
- 1000+ images about Wreaths & Door Decor- I want to make ALL of them! on Pinterest | Wreaths, She
Explore Beth Duerr aka SoyCandlelover's board "Wreaths & Door Decor- I want to make ALL of them!" on Pinterest, the world's catalog of ideas. | See more about Wreaths, Sheds and Spring wreaths.
Thanks for stopping by!
I hope you enjoyed this Garden Hose Wreath Tutorial. Please Feel Free to Leave a Comment, Suggestion or Successes.
Claudia Mitchell on March 05, 2017:
What a lovely wreath and such a great idea for a summer decoration. Nice tutorial!