Haute Couture Voodoo Doll
My Valentine's Day Voodoo Dolls
Curiosity of Voodoo Dolls
Have you ever been curious about Voodoo dolls? For as long as I can remember, and I cannot tell you why but, I have always been curious about them. To my surprise there is quite a bit of information on the Internet, which I was able to find and use, in order to write this hub article. Based off all the accessible information that I could find, it would appear that I am not the only one curious about making a voodoo doll.
Until I decide to write this article, I was under the impression that all Voodoo dolls were made to do evil. It was my further understanding that a person could be forced to do bad things, and even feel pain if their soul was attached to a doll by a black magick spell. Nevertheless, I did not know that Voodoo dolls could be made for protection. Today these little mascots of the Voodoo culture are used for wellness spells, healing, positive energy, and love.
Girl's Night Craft Idea
Bedazzling a Voodoo Doll
Adding Whimsy to Your Dolls
Adding a touch of whimsy to a Voodoo doll, does not really add that much time or cost to the craft project. Actually it is a great way to use up leftover buttons, yarn, patches, rhinestones, beads, etc., which is taking up much needed space in your sewing kit at home. Just about any spare sewing accessory can be used to make a doll whimsical. Some great ways to use extra sewing parts, is by incorporating them into body parts.
- Buttons can be used for eyes.
- Short pieces of yarn can be sewed on top of the head and made to look like flyaway pieces of hair. Longer pieces of yarn can be used for girl Voodoo dolls.
- Extra rhinestones can be added to the body and made to look like a bedazzled shirt.
- Leftover beads from a jewelry making class, can be strung or glued onto the doll, and made to look like the doll is wearing jewelry. I even saw beads used to make a doll nose and mouth. A larger bead was used for the nose, and bright red seed beads were used to form a smile.
- Iron on patches can be sewn, ironed on, or hot glued (my preferred method) in placed. Patches are a great way to add either love by using a heart patch, luck by using a four leaf clover patch, peace by sewing on a peace sign patch, or even the recipient's name by using an initial patch such as a "J" for "Julie". Whether the doll is for you, or made for someone you love, the initial alphabet character can be the first letter to their first name or favorite nickname even.
- Number character patches can represent a birthday, graduation date, wedding date or wedding anniversary. There are lots of different ways to incorporate something meaningful and personal to a Voodoo doll.
- Voodoo dolls completely represent Voodoo, much like a team mascot at a sporting event, represents the homefield sport's team. In addition to the other whimsical craft ideas, making a team spirited Voodoo might be something else to try.
Voodoo Colored Stick Pins and the Meaning of the Color
White - Positive energy
Red - Power energy
Yellow - Success
Purple - Spirituality
Blue - Love, peace
Green - money
Black - is a repelling color, and actually deflects negative energy.
Button-eyed, Junk Drawer Voodoo Canvas Doll
Directions for Making a Mid Size Voodoo Doll
Step 1. Wrap together two 18" pipe cleaners together and twist them at the top leaving two legs at the bottom. Loop the top for the head base, and then precede to wrap another pipe cleaner around the middle to make the arms. Cut the arms to the desired length. For adding in craft picks, leave the arms one inch longer on both sides to roll up the accent pick in position. Slightly bend the leg portion pipe cleaners, an inch at the bottom to make feet.
Step 2. Stuff the open loop with a large cotton ball or foam ball. Begin tightly wrapping the doll in yarn to your desired thickness.
Step 3. Once you have reached the desired thickness, using hot glue, glue the end of the string to the doll.
Step 4. Now you can begin wrapping the doll in other yarn colors to mimic clothing or attach notions to make the doll's face. Felt is another good resource to making clothes and accessories such as hats for the doll.
Step 5. Using the hot glue gun, glue on buttons or beads to make the eyes. To make eyelashes, pull thread the button holes, tie a small knot to the back of the button. Cut the extra thread away from the button, leaving a half of inch tail. Feather out the thread tail, and hot glue the button to the face.
Illustrations for Making A 5" Tall Voodoo Doll
Illustrated Stages for Making a Spiffy Voodoo Doll
Directions To Make A Miniature 2-3 Inches Tall Doll
Step 1. Tie two bag ties together and twist them at the top leaving two legs at the bottom. Loop the top for the head base, and then precede to tie another bag tie around the middle to make the arms.
Step 2. Begin tightly wrapping the doll in yarn to your desired thickness.
Step 3. Once you have reached the desired thickness, using Elmers glue, glue the end of the string to the doll.
Step 4. Now you can begin wrapping the doll in other yarn colors to mimic clothing or attach notions to make the doll's face.
Voodoo Dolls for Guys
- If you have a special someone in your life, and you want to give him something fun - make him a Voodoo doll.
- If you are going away for an extended period of time, such as leaving for college, and leaving a boyfriend or guy friend behind, make a Voodoo doll for him to have as a keepsake and memento of your relationship.
Superhero Voodoo Dolls
Miniature String Doll Pattern
Illustration for Wrapping a String Doll
Using Hardware for Male Inspired Dolls
For any male inspired doll - head straight for the toolbox, workshop, or garage. There are a tons of neat little shop parts to use on a doll.
- Wire nuts could be spliced in half and used as leg shields. Small washers or nuts can be used for eyes or vest buttons. For the clothing, use felt and colored pipe cleaners.
- If you have a ball of twine, the string doll could potentially be made out of it. There are lots of little parts and pieces that could be added to a male doll. Something else you might want to add would be a snake patch, like the canvas doll pictured in this hub has glued onto it. Patches made of a race car, dog, hammer or saw can be hot glued on with great ease.
- Making an NCAA collegiate team Voodoo doll would make for a great guy's doll.
- But why stop there? You could make Voodoo dolls for all the male members of a friend's group, and even your family members. Each guy could have an entirely different doll based off his favorite sport or sports team such as a NBA team, Hockey team, MLB mascot, or NFL team doll.
- If the man in your life is a Nascar racing fan, sew on his favorite driver's car number. You could wrap the doll in strips of fabric to make it look like the doll is wearing a racing suit. If would take a little ingenuity but, sure it would be easy enough to do. For the race car team colors, use seed size beads for hints of color.
- Try making a Voodoo doll of his favorite comic book character. If a guy friend is into comic books, making him a Voodoo doll of his favorite superhero, will be a fantastic surprise.
- Make him a Voodoo doll of his favorite Xbox or Playstation game. I have seen some pretty awesome Mario Brother dolls, Ninja dolls, and Zelda elf dolls.
- Voodoo dolls made from Sci-fi action heroes or fictional characters are always a huge hit. Make him a doll of his favorite movie characters. There are great examples on the Internet of Star Wars dolls, Alice in Wonderland and Wizard of Oz doll, Beetlejuice dolls. There are even great examples of infamous Horror flicks, main character dolls (like Freddy Kruger). One of my personal favorite Voodoo dolls was made to look like the Hobbit characters.
- If the man in your life likes hunting, well that is easy enough to make. Use bright orange felt for deer hunting gear and make the doll some felt camouflage pants and vest. If your man is a fisherman, take a piece of small netting and secure it in the dolls hands with hot glue or thread. Adding a few fishing flies to the body of the doll, might be a cute accessory. Take a fake, brightly colored, fishing worm and glue it around one of the doll's legs. Any added touch, will be very appreciated by him.
Any of those types of Voodoo dolls, would be an original hit for sure. Guys get tired of the same old gifts and trinkets. Make sure that when you get ready to leave this fella behind that he will remember you always. What better way to leave a great and lasting impression - by making him something from your heart.
Zelda Game 2" Tall Miniature Voodoo Doll
Brief Voodoo Lesson
Voodoo is a type of religion that is often associated with "black magick", and the Voodoo culture is strongest in places that once had a huge slave population:
- Western Africa, New Orleans, Haiti, and other Caribbean islands. What started out as a sixteen century slave religion, Voodoo has spread all across the world, and today it can be found in major American cities with large urban populations like New York City, Miami, Los Angles, and Atlanta.
What many people do not realize is that the Voodoo religion is a Christian fellowship, whereas their spiritual leaders can invoke the dead and even gain powerful manifestations by using trances to invoke deceased Catholic saints. Voodoo is a combination of African tribal traditions dating back thousands of years, and the meshing of Catholicism. Voodoo is centered around the belief that whatever is sent out by a sender, is then return to that person usually amplified by three times the power it was transmitted. If a person curses another person, the curse's sender then should expect the same destructive, negative, energy transmitted back to them. Which may or may not affect them in a physical manner, it can come back to them in any form, and can come back to do harm to their love ones or any intimate family members.
The Dammit Doll
- Much like it's sister (Voodoo) dolls, the Dammit doll is starting to become really popular. It is an all canvas doll, which can be made larger or small. These dolls are primarily made up of pillow stuffing in a heavy cotton, quilting type of fabric shell. These dolls are also known as slapping dolls.
- If a person is having a hard day or if something goes wrong and they become frustrated, they can use their Dammit doll to slap out all their frustrations by hitting it up against a wall, slamming it down on their desk, throwing it across the room or throwing it to the ground and stomping it. They usually sale at retail for $15 USD. They make great secret sister gifts, Boss's day gifts, stocking stuffers for a sister inlaw, etc.
A Dammit Doll Demonstration and Review
The Dammit Doll Poem
Do You Have A Dammit Doll?
Free Printable Doll Pattern
More Articles to Share
- Dammit! Dam Things! Troll Dolls
When Thomas Dam, a poor Danish woodworker, carved the first Troll doll from wood in 1959, he had no idea what he had unleased onto this world. The reason Dam carved that first Troll doll was that he could not afford to buy his young daughter,...
- How to Host A Hogwarts Wedding
How to host a Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry themed wedding.
- Making An Ugly Christmas Sweater
Need a fun theme for an office Christmas party? Try an ugly Christmas sweater themed event. This hub will give you ideas on how to make an ugly Christmas sweater, without breaking the bank.
Kristy LeAnn from Princeton, WV on April 04, 2014:
I'm glad I came across this. =) It's really interesting. I learned a lot about voodoo that I've never heard before. And I just love that pic of the super hero dolls. =)