There are times that graphic designers work on multiple computers, share documents or work collectively on the same project. Sometimes when this happens, different versions of the software are used, and although there are restrictions on how far you can work with these versions, you can normally open lower version in new versions. For example, one of my previous freelance employers worked with Adobe InDesign CS, and I worked on Adobe InDesign CS4 at home. There were several times that I was on deadline and needed to take the work home with me to finish. I was able to bring it home and work on it in the new version, but sometimes an error would pop up when I had the software automatically convert the file for me. Although I was never able to save the file back down to the original CS, I was able to successfully overcome a few errors and meet deadline with a new version.
The problem that most designers run into when attempting to have Adobe InDesign convert to a higher version, more specifically skipping a few versions in between, is a PAIGEFilter error.
The error will pop up and tell you that there are missing plug-ins and will continue to do this even if you save under a new file name. There is a very quick fix for this, and it is already installed in your general Adobe InDesign presets.
- Open the file that you are working with and want to fix the missing plug-ins.
- Go to “file” → “export.
- In the drop down of options, choose “InDesign Markup IDML”
Export as an IDML
- Choose “save” and choose the save destination
- Close the document
- Go to “open” and choose the Indesign IDML file that you just saved
Save as and InDesign document
- Go to “save as” and choose “InDesign CS4 document” (or whichever version that you are currently using and give it a new file name
- Close the document, and then reopen the new document and you will see that the error has been fixed and no longer appears when opening the document.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
fernanda on October 20, 2017:
Gorodn on December 06, 2016:
Perfect! Thanks for the info.
Toin on March 10, 2015:
Merci! Super clair et fonctionnel
moui on November 08, 2012:
clear and reasonable explanation. thanks!
Diarmuid on June 02, 2012:
That worked. Thank you for posting :)
Iris on February 09, 2012:
Good! Thanks for your help!