Skip to main content

Gummy Removable Glue Used to Attach Credit Cards to Paper

Hi, I'm Jason. I'm a software engineer living in San Francisco, and I love doing extensive research before making major purchases.

Removable glue dots adhere the card to the paper, but make removal very easy.

Removable glue dots adhere the card to the paper, but make removal very easy.

Have you ever seen that special gummy glue, almost, um, boogerlike (for the lack of a better word), that's used to adhere credit cards to paper when banks mail them to you, or to attach products or special cards on the top of magazine covers?

It's not rubber cement, although it is similar. If you use rubber cement in this instance, it will make a far more permanent bond and you will destroy the paper trying to remove it.

This stuff is easy to remove from both plastic and paper, and can be pulled off and wadded up into a little ball (hence my reference to boogers), leaving the paper and plastic intact and clean.

The stuff is called fugitive glue or fugitive adhesive, and a bit less affectionately known in the adhesive trade as booger glue or snot glue.

Since most users of the stuff are printers, publishers, banks and the like, most of what's available out there are large, industrial-size quantities and expensive application equipment.

However, you can buy a more consumer-friendly version called removable glue dots that have about 1/2" circles of fugitive glue on a spool or sheet of wax paper, so they can be easily applied to whatever surface you'd like them on.

Sometimes you can find them at office supply stores, but I've found more exactly what I'm looking for by buying online, via Amazon or one of their associated merchants.

Be sure to buy the clearly-marked removable kind; they also have more permanent versions available that will not pull off paper and plastic easily at all.


Ashok Jain on July 05, 2018:

Looking for Removable adhesive gun or dots with adhesive - its cost & application understanding for my manufacturing unit whereby we wish to past/glue (removable) products to display cards & hang them for sale.

jen on February 11, 2018:

i need something like this fugitive glue for my art and painting - not for gluing things down so much, but more for painting over the glue and then removing the glue from the paper to create a perfect white space. In school we used to use cow gum which was perfect for what i need but almost impossible to find now. glue dots won't help. :/

tipping01 on September 24, 2012:

you can buy from from pack-smart at

Jason Menayan (author) from San Francisco on March 08, 2012:

You're quite welcome. I didn't know, either, which made me search for a long time.

nse712 on March 08, 2012:

Scroll to Continue

Thank you for posting this! I knew what I was looking for but couldn't find anything like it at any office stores. Now that I know what they're called I'm sure I'll find exactly what I'm looking for.

Gadget on November 06, 2011:

Awesome. Only thing can a guy get them in lines instead of dots.

Andrew on October 09, 2011:

I've been searching for hours for this stuff. you're suggestion of using the removable glue dots is perfect for my company. Thanks!!

sid_candid on September 12, 2010:

Excellent hub with great information. Thanks for sharing.

Scrapaholic on September 03, 2010:

I use glue dots all the time! The Dot-N-Go Roller is really my favorite. I love that you can buy disposable rollers so you don't even have to worry about refills (and possibly getting the wrong ones)!

Have you ever tried using the Xyron? Definitely another one of my favorites.

Happy Scrapping!

Jason Menayan (author) from San Francisco on September 01, 2010:

Thank you, both! Lyricallor: I had to do some research to find out what the things were called. Did not know you could buy spools of it. :)

K9keystrokes: You can buy permanent versions of the glue dots, too, which makes crafts easier. Apparently parents prefer it to glue sometimes, since it's much, much cleaner. :)

India Arnold from Northern, California on September 01, 2010:

Gummy removable glue - attaching plastic cards to paper products will come in handy for marketing mailers and a variety of other uses including crafts. Good to know we need to be sure to get the removable type which are marked as such! Wouldn't be very fun to glue something important somewhere forever! Good advice, thank you.

I also think buying these online is better, as you can always refere to a direct part number or discription, making finding them quite easy and often at a better price.


Lorna Lorraine from Croydon on August 31, 2010:

Thank you so much for sharing this. I had no idea that's what it was called.

Related Articles