I like doing crafts because my creations make me smile. I love the fact that I can create something that is useful and decorative.
I made these icicles to decorate my metal tree for Christmas. I used old jewelry, beads and semi-precious stones.
You can actually leave the icicles all-year round on the tree if your icicles don't have any Christmas-themed elements.
Moreover, the semi-precious stones in the icicles can provide some 'energy' to any room.
- Jewelry cable wire
- Wire Cutter
- Looper pliers (optional)
- Crimp beads
- Old jewelry
- Semi-precious stones
- Bead tray (optional)
The Structure of the Icicle
For this icicle, I followed a certain structure for stringing the beads and stones. But feel free to have your own structure. I used certain materials too for a reason. Do browse my reasons below.
- Bead caps- To add some sort of 'finish' to the icicle
- Cable wire- To ensure durability
- Glass and metal beads, semi-precious stones- To amp up the quality of the icicles (I avoided using plastic materials.)
1. On the bead tray, assemble your icicle.
2. Make your pendant.
3. Cut off 9 inches of cable wire.
4. Add a crimp bead after the pendant.
5. Follow the crimp bead with a cap bead.
6. String the stones and beads.
7. Add a cap bead.
8. Add 2 crimp beads (to secure the icicle).
9. Add the double jump ring (to hang your icicle on the tree).
Note in the photo below that I also used old jewelry as pendants for the icicles.
Using Semi Precious Stones in the Icicles
Aside from the aesthetic qualities of semi precious stones, it's good to know the benefits in having them around you.
Top 10 Healing Stones - Meanings & Benefits
Tips For Creating Stunning Icicles
- Use a variety of stones in different colors
- Use bead caps or suitable metal findings to finish off your icicles with elegance.
- Ensure that the colors of your stones go together.
- Recycle old jewelry for a one-of-a-kind look.
- Make sure that you add one sparkling bead in every icicle for an eye-catching glitter.