Professional scrapbook artist, paper crafter, and author, I have taught people how to make family memories into legacies for 20 years.
Aluminum In Your Paper Crafts
Who would have thought to use foils in embossing folders to add extra dimension to greeting cards? There are so many delightful colors to add that touch of glamour to your cards.
Who would ever think of recycling aluminum for paper crafts? I would for sure. But there are a lot of us who like the glitzy touch that aluminum brings to our cards, scrapbook pages and art journals.
Aluminum foil is the more reasonable alternative to more pricey foils. But either way, you are going to get stunning results without a lot of effort
How To Emboss Aluminum Foil
Piece of card stock the size of your embossing folder
Piece of double sided adhesive sheet the same size as your card
Piece of aluminum kitchen foil sized to card stock
- Remove one side of the backing of the double sided adhesive sheet
- Attach that side of the adhesive sheet to the card stock
- Remove the other side of the adhesive sheet
- Place the aluminum foil on the adhesive sheet, dull side down
- Run through your embossing machine, using the embossing sandwich specified by the manufacturer
- Remove the paper and foil from the embossing folder.
- Cut to fit your card
Stamping On Embossed Foil
Embossing Foil Tape
- Trim the card stock to the size of the embossing folder
- Cut strips of the foil tape to fit the piece of the cardstock
- Carefully apply each strip of foil tape to fit the card stock pulling off the backing as you go.
- Flatten each tape carefully with a bone folder.
- Make sure that there is no space between the lines of tape
- Trim off excess edges of tape
- Place the card stock with the foil tape into the embossing folder. Close the lid of the folder.
- Run it through the embossing machine of your choice, following the directions for embossing folders
Embossed Tin Foil Without An Embossing Folder
This gives the foil a forged metal look. It is perfect for a more masculine look
Light cardboard or card stock
Decoupage glue (like Mod Podge)
A small paint brush
Dark color acrylic paint or metallic paint
- Cut a piece of card stock or light cardboard
- Cut a piece of aluminum foil larger than the paper piece
- Crumple the aluminum foil making a ball in your hand
- Straighten out the foil
- Cover the piece of paper or card stock with decoupage glue
- Place the crumpled foil on top of the paper, pressing gently
- Allow to dry
- With a small paint brush, apply either the dark acrylic paint or the metallic paint over the foil
- Wipe off with a paper towel
- Allow to dry
Coloring On Foil
Did you know that you can actually color on your embossed foil back grounds?
Alcohol markers are your best bet. But remember, you need to have a very light hand when coloring these projects. Test the markers that you have on a scrap piece of aluminum foil before you give it a try.
- Stick to just a few colors to highlight. Adding too many colors will only add confusion to your piece.
- Start with the light color first so that you do not contaminate your darker color nibs.
- Try to use a brush tip if you can with a very light touch. Leaning too much into the design will just flatten it
Foil Embossing With Stencils
- Place the aluminum foil on top of the stencil
- Secure with non stick tape
- Rub with the paper stump until you see the design
More Foil Embossing Ideas
- Aluminum Foil-Metal Embossing (Repousse) Ornament - Create Art with ME
Aluminum Foil Embossing Ornament - Learn simple metal embossing techniques to create this beautiful Repousse Christmas ornament. I did this project successfully with my after school art class which is a mixture of 1th-6th grade students. They LOVED t
- DIY Antiqued Foil Monograms | Something to be Savored
My parents still have this framed at their house. When I was 6, I did a DIY foil project, and I didn't even know it. I remember putting the thin copper foil over a stencil, and the teacher told us to rub every little nook until we could see the entir
- Moments of Tranquility... by Natasha Naranjo Aguirre: Embossed Foil Letters Tutorial
Embossed foil letters make some interesting decor and titles for your scrapbook pages
- Embossed Metal Foil Tape By Becky Olsen - the CLASSroom
I have been on a bit of an embossing kick, it is because I am enjoying those Tim Holtz Texture Fades so much. This project also uses a few more products that are unique that lend themselves to a luxurious,...
- How to Emboss with Aluminum Foil- Free Pattern!
I love the look of 3 dimensional art and metal embossing is a fun way to come up with a unique project. This week, I took one of my older patterns, Holiday Partridge, and made her into a brilliant foil embossed piece of art. This easy DIY project is
Need More Inspiration?
- A Paper Craft Workshop
Information, ideas and projects to help you create, learn and share your paper craft passions
© 2018 Linda F Correa