This hub explains the general characteristics of this color morph. The citrus color is one of the brightest colorations you can find among the different bearded dragon colors and color patterns.
In your personal investigation of different dragon species, you may come across genetic and species specific descriptions such as leather backs, tiger, het trans, hypo het, and other forms of citrus dragons.
This hub covers the different species specific types that can influence the size, scale pattern, and skin features of a citrus beardie. This hub will also cover genetic and breeding specific information which will help you understand the different citrus breeds, what their actual traits will be like, and what chances are there for mating a specific breed.
This hub has been carefully written so that it will not sound too technical. Where genetic terms are found, the terms have been explained in simple terms that the average Joe can understand.
Thanks again for reading this hub, I hope you enjoy it!
|Citrus Bearded Dragons|
Chapter 1: What is a Citrus Bearded Dragon?
Chapter 2: Selective Breeding
Chapter 3: Citrus Bearded Dragon Species
Chapter 4: Citrus Dragon Breeding Info
Chapter 5: Breeding Probabilities
Chapter 1: What is a Citrus Bearded Dragon?
Citrus bearded dragons have a variety of patterns on their scales/skin. They mostly have a yellow or yellowish color (i.e. yellow with a few admixtures of other colors) but you will also find red and other colors mixed and matched in wonderful blends.
So, why are they called citrus? Well, in the business of breeding and marketing these reptiles as pets, you need to come up with a catchy name for these things. However, it will sometimes become confusing for some folks.
To make things simple - citrus refers to the yellow color on a bearded dragon. It's actually one of the standard colors. The regular colors include the following:
- Citrus (or yellow)
- And red
These are the most common colors of bearded dragons that you will find in pet stores today. However, note that the colors, shades, tones, and patterns on their backs will be slightly different. If you are interested in getting purely solid colors then you must opt for a specific breeding program.
You may have to hire or order one from a breeder (which will cost money by the way) and you will have to wait a while before you can get the specific solid color you want - regardless if you are after a pure citrus bearded dragon or not.
The good news is that there are breeders who do breed purely citrus dragons. You may have to dig deep to find them - or, as stated earlier, just go for a breeding program to get the pure colors.
Variations and Other Stuff
In this chapter we will look at the different color combinations, types, and other related info about citrus beardies and what makes them unique. You will also understand colors, breeds, types, and other interesting facts about these creatures.
You can use the information below to help you understand the many options out there when you're in the market for your newest pet.
Types of Bearded Dragons
Bearded dragons can be classified under several different types. The classification or typecasting of these reptiles has more to do with their sizes rather than their colors. Another factor that is considered along with the size of these creatures is their appearance. The following are some of the popular types of bearded dragons that you should be aware of.
Silkback: Silkback bearded dragons have a smoother appearance on their skin. Silkback dragons are bred when two leatherbacks bearded dragons mate. The result of this breeding is that the scales of the next generation turn out to be smaller. This results in the rather smoother or silk-like skin.
Note that silkback bearded dragons can come in a variety of colors. So, if you're lucky you may be able to find a silkback citrus bearded dragon. However, do note that breeders often breed silkbacks into a specific color which is rather unique. That means there are chances that you will find more silkback beardies with unique blend of colors and not just a pure citrus.
Leatherbacks: Leatherback bearded dragons have scales that look like they haven't grown up to their full sizes. This unique size or growth of their scales is due to a mutated gene that affects the growth of their scales. As a result the skin of these bearded dragons look and feel smoother.
Note that due to the size of their scales, there are more possible colors of these dragons. Because of this genetic quality, breeders can usually breed dragons in truly unique colors and color combinations. Is it possible to find leatherback citrus bearded dragons? The answer is yes. In fact, you will find a lot of breeders who sell leather back citrus dragons.
German Giants: German giants live up to their name. These are some of the biggest bearded dragons you can find anywhere. Breeders usually find the biggest breeds of dragons and then they mate them. The result of course is that their offspring are larger than the average bearded dragon.
It is estimated that German giant breeds are usually around 50% larger than average. Dragon breeders also breed these types of dragons to produce a variety of colors. You will just have to look around a bit to find citrus German giants.
All About Bearded Dragon Colors
Out in the wild, the actual color of a bearded dragon will depend on its habitat. Animals will change color to blend with their habitat. It helps them as a kind of camouflage, which makes it easier for them to catch their prey. Their color, scales, and skin patterns also serve as protective camouflage - you know, to help them evade their predators. That means citrus bearded dragons in the wild take their color from their surroundings, which are usually more um, citrusy (for a lack of a better term).
However, ever since these reptiles have been raised in captivity, the magic of selective breeding has taken over. Breeders have experimented and bred different dragons to produce beardies in pretty much every color combination and pattern imaginable.
We'll go over the details in the next chapter.
A Quick Crash Course in Bearded Dragon Genetics
This part will sound kind of nerdy - well, slightly nerdy. You will read about morphs when talking about bearded dragons with fellow aficionados. A "morph" in genetics is short for "polymorphism" (told you it goes a bit nerdy from here).
This refers to visual mutations (also known as phenotypes) that you will find on bearded dragons. This includes their color, patterns on their back and sides, their sizes, color of the eyes, and other traits that can be observed by the naked eye (i.e. you don't need a microscope to spot the visual differences).
There are different morphs and these are usually dictated by the bloodlines (i.e. the parentage) of these creatures. The genetic make-up (or genotype) of these reptiles will determine which characteristic trait will be visually present and which ones will be dormant or hidden. We'll go over this in a later chapter.
Characteristics of Citrus Bearded Dragons
Note that the descriptions you will find here are not set in stone. Some citrus beardies may not have the said characteristics or measurements mentioned below. Some do and some don't.
- Appearance: these dragons will look well-balanced and elegant with the usual lean and streamlined grace and curves you will find in the majority of bearded dragons. The tail, legs, head, neck, and body will always be structurally proportionate.
- Color: these bearded dragons will have a naturally yellow or yellowish color. Some breeds will exhibit a certain luminosity. Expect color patterns to vary from one breed to the next. For instance, a citrus tiger will have yellow on it but mixed with red. Some breeds will have yellow mixed with other colors as well. Note that the "tiger" or whatever it is simply refers to the pattern that you will find on the dragon's back - it's like a tiger's stripes which you will find on the back and specially on the sides of the reptile.
- Head: nothing special about the head. Just like other dragons, these will have a triangular shaped head.
- Eye color: eye color will vary from one breed to the next. Some breeds will have a solid black eye color, some will have brown colored eyes, still others will have copper colored eyes.
- Size: as explained earlier in this chapter, some types will be bigger than others. German giants and other larger species will generally have bigger offspring. The average length of males will be from 18 to 23 inches (some will be longer or shorter though depending on the breed). Females will have an average length of 17 to 20 inches (again, some will be longer and some will be shorter).
We'll go over the breeding process in the next chapter.
Chapter 2: Selective Breeding
The goal of selective breeding is to produce baby dragons or next generation bearded dragons that have the desired specific traits. Whether it is size, color patterns, scale patterns, or other traits, breeders will look for males and females that have these traits and have them mate.
For instance, if a breeder wants to produce next generation bearded dragons that have a more pronounced red color, then they will mate two bearded dragons with a lot of red coloring. The result is that their offspring will have more red.
Remember that the color of a bearded dragon is not the only trait affected by selective breeding. You can also breed them to have particular patterns like citrus bearded dragons with tiger stripes.
Now, it will be a bit pointless to enumerate all the specific breeds that have been produced by breeders around the world. There are just too many to count since breeders tend to mix and match certain breeds of their very own make.
What we can do here is to describe only the original colors and categorize the specific breeds into them. That will make things a bit easier. So here we go:
Yellow Bearded Dragons
As you might have guessed, breeding yellow beardies require one to take two dragons that have more yellow on their color and mate them. The idea is to take two different dragons, which means the scale type and pattern will also be considered. But since we are just dealing with the colors for now, we won't go over that detail just yet.
The first offspring or next generation from the breeders (i.e. the very first bearded dragon mommy and daddy of the clutch - or the first generation of the breed) will have a more yellow color, as a result of the pairing. However, do take note that if you want to produce beardies that have a more pronounced yellow, then you need to produce more generations.
The more generations the deeper the yellow (or whatever color you want to produce for that matter). Of course, adding a different color to the usual yellow can result in some form of color variation. For instance, pairing a yellow and a red bearded dragon can result in offspring that have a rather golden color.
There are citrus bearded dragons that have hints of yellow. If you prefer this brilliant color blend then you might want to look for beardies that have strong yellow in their color. Of course there are other dragons that have a mostly yellow color on their scales. Examples of which include the pure yellow bearded dragon (obviously), sand fire gold dragons, lemon fire dragons, and of course gold beardies.
Red Bearded Dragons
As you might have guessed, in order to produce a distinct red in the next clutch, you need to pair two bearded dragons that have mostly red or are purely red in color. The result of course is in offspring that have more red than any other possible color.
The same rule applies too; which means that if you make more generations of red beardies the more pronounced will be their red coloration. Of course red bearded dragons come in different color hues such as ruby red dragons, blood red beardies, and the purely red bearded dragons.
Is it possible to have a red citrus bearded dragon? Of course you can breed that color morph as well. It is also possible to breed red dragons with other breeds, which can result in beardies that have a mix of red and other colors or patterns. Examples of which include tangerine bearded dragons, sunburst beardies, orange bearded dragons, and sand fire red bearded dragons.
White Bearded Dragons
Some people call white bearded dragons as albino beardies but please understand that albino bearded dragons are only one kind of white dragons. Other kinds of white beardies include what is known as the white bearded dragon and then there is the snow bearded dragon. Some make the distinction between white and pale - but hey, put them all under the category of white beardies since both their parents had mostly white color on them.
Standard Bearded Dragon Colors
Now, these are some of the most common colors of bearded dragons. Note also that there is a set of standard colors of bearded dragons other than the ones described above. The other colors include tan and green. Most of the bearded dragons you will find in pet stores and those raised by breeders will be in these colors. Remember that citrus is a color morph among bearded dragons and this color can be blended into the other different colors mentioned above.
If you scout around in shops or even on the internet, you will note that most of the beardies on display will have a mix of colors. You will only find solid colored beardies from select breeders. That means if you really want to find a purely citrus beardie, then you will have to look really hard.
Chapter 3: Citrus Bearded Dragon Species
Now, let's dive into the possible species that you can find. You may find citrus bearded dragons from different species. Their species of course will dictate their overall appearance, size, and other traits.
There are 9 different bearded dragon species, and we'll go over them below. Note that many breeders will usually mate beardies from either central or inland Australia. They are the ones that are used as pets for the most part.
As stated earlier, the most common breeds that are housed as pets are the ones from inland or central Australia. Pogona Vitticeps is a breed that is from central Australia. You can still find a lot of them in the wild nowadays.
- Preferred Habitat: These dragons prefer to live in deserts, forests (since they love to climb trees), and they also love to hang out in dry brushy environments.
- Length: this species of bearded dragon can grow up to 24 inches - one of the biggest species around.
- Temperament: since this species prefers to live woody or forested areas, expect this one to retain its tree climbing instincts. You might want to setup a branch or something else that it can climb on. This species is usually awake during the day and they generally have a rather gentle nature.
This species is commonly known as the Nullarbor bearded dragon. These beardies are endemic to the southern parts of Australia. Note that this species is really rare so you may find it difficult to find one raised in captivity. This species has a rather pronounced shape of the scales (makes them look a bit more pointy) and they have that distinct white stripes all over their body.
- Preferred Habitat: the Nullarbor dragon prefers to live in flat brush environments where they can easily hide from predators.
- Length: They're not the biggest species of bearded dragons around. They only grow up to 14 inches in length.
- Temperament: due to its rarity, we do not have any information as to the overall temperament of this bearded dragon species.
Pogona Minor Mitchelli
This species is commonly known as the Mitchells bearded dragon. Just like the Nullarbor bearded dragon, this one too is a bit rare. Its scales are slightly smoother compared to other types of dragons. This species is endemic to North Western Australia.
- Preferred Habitat: this species is known to prefer staying in Australia's deserts and any semi-tropical kind of woodland.
- Length: This species can grow up to 18 inches in length.
- Temperament: Since this species is particularly rare, we don't actually know what its temperament is really like.
Pogona Minor Minima
Just like the previous two species mentioned above, this particular species is also a rare breed. It is commonly known as the Western bearded dragon. Obviously, they are endemic to the western regions of the continent. They can also be found on the islands of Houtman Albrohos.
- Preferred Habitat: this species of bearded dragons prefer to live dry woodland areas.
- Length: Western bearded dragons can grow up to a length of 12 inches - one of the smaller species.
- Temparament: unknown since they are rarely captured or raised in captivity.
Pogona Minor Minor
This bearded dragon species is commonly known as the dwarf bearded dragon. They too are also rarely raised in captivity. This species is endemic to central and western Australia.
- Preferred Habitat: this bearded dragon species prefers to live within woodlands as well as in rocky dry areas.
- Length: This species can grow as long as 14 to 18 inches long.
- Temperament: since they are rarely raised in captivity we have no information as to its overall behavior.
This is one of the species that is hails from central and western parts of Australia. It is commonly known as Lawsons bearded dragon. One of its distinguishing traits is the serpentine like pattern on its back.
- Preferred Habitat: this species prefers to live in arid deserts, rocky areas, and places that are generally dry.
- Length: these beardies can grow up to a maximum length of 12 inches.
- Temperament: this species loves to climb and in the wild you would usually see them climbing up a lot of elevated surfaces. They are also more active during the day.
This species of bearded dragons is commonly known as the Drysdale River bearded dragon. It is also rarely raised in captivity so you won't see a lot of them sold by breeders. These dragons are endemic to North Kimberley Australia.
- Preferred Habitat: These beardies prefer to live in woodland areas as well as along the coast where it is generally cooler.
- Length: This is a smaller breed of bearded dragon and grows only from 4 to 6 inches in length.
- Temperament: we have no information as to its overall behavior and temperament due to its rareness.
This species is commonly known either as the Eastern bearded dragon or the Coastal bearded dragon. They are endemic to Eastern Australia but they have an extensive range so you may also find them in southern and central regions of the continent. These are one of the bigger species of bearded dragons around. In the wild, you will find them having a darker beard and the scales at the ends of their tails can be pitch black as well.
- Preferred Habitat: this species prefers to live in dry wooded areas.
- Length: These beardies can grow up to maximum length of 2 feet.
- Temperament: These dragons love to move around on the ground and can feel at home there in spite of the possible threats from on-land predators. Perhaps this confidence is because of its relative size. However, you will also find them climbing trees and other elevations while in the wild. They are usually active during the day. These bearded dragons are usually territorial especially when they are around other bearded dragons.
Chapter 4: Citrus Dragon Breeding Info
As stated earlier, citrus bearded dragons can have a variety of sizes, colors, and other traits. In the previous chapter we went over some of the types of beardies. We also covered the different species and types of dragons that are feasible for the citrus color morph.
Sometimes you will read about certain breeding descriptions such as het trans citrus bearded dragons and so forth. We'll look into that in this section so you will know immediately what those terms mean and the traits that will be apparent with the citrus dragon breed that is being offered.
Note that it may sound kind of technical at first but once you get used to it everything will be easy. You can even use the information below to identify particular traits that you want in a bearded dragon. If you want to become a bearded dragon breeder, the information below will help you choose the right stock. Who knows; you may one day come up with your own peculiar species using careful selective breeding.
Again, you need to carefully select two or sometimes more bearded dragons that have particular traits that you want to have in the offspring. Some of the traits that people look for include reduced coloration on the eyes and/or skin, skin that seem to be translucent, black solid colored eyes, smaller scales, darker skin color, etc.
Here are the terms that dragon breeders will use to describe their specific breeds.
Sometimes you will read from an advertisement that a breeder is selling "normal" bearded dragons. That doesn't mean the other beardies are "not normal." There's nothing wrong with those beardies. What the breeder is actually referring to are dragons that have bred in the regular way - two regular dragons but with different traits. No specific trait was being selected or opted for in the breeding process.
You can say that this is the way bearded dragons find their mate in the wild. They just find each other and they don't pay attention to any specific trait that may result in their offspring. In other words, you can also describe the baby beardies as naturally selected. But that doesn't mean they aren't special - each beardy is special.
When you look at different ads you will find that some breeders add a "hypo" suffix to their breeds. You'll see a picture of that bearded dragon and it will be described as a hypo this or a hypo that.
The "hypo" part is actually short for hypomelanism. Hypomelanism refers to the color or tone of the skin. This means that the skin is lacking or has reduced amounts of melanin - that part that gives it a darker color or pigmentation. Animals that have hypomelanism will have a generally lighter color compared to other animals of the same species or breed.
In the case of animals raised in captivity, when it is a hypo, it simply means that the animal has a lighter skin tone or color compared to the same species that can be found in the wild. A corn snake that has hypomelanism can have a color morph of a lighter tone - but it can also have other traits of course. So a hypo citrus bearded dragon will pretty much have a lighter skin color compared to citrus dragons that you can find in the wild.
Trans Citrus Bearded Dragons
Some breeders will add a "trans" to their description of a particular breed of citrus bearded dragon. For instance, some will describe their citrus dragons to be a "Hypo het trans citrus bearded dragon" or sometimes you will find an advertisement that says the particular breed is a "Double het hypo and trans with German giant gene."
Well, we already know what the German giant part means. We already covered that in a previous chapter. Now, you're stuck with the double het and hypo part. So what does the "trans" part mean?
The trans part of the name or description refers to a particular quality of the skin. That means that that breed of dragon has skin that appears slightly translucent. Look at the scales around the beard, side, nails, and tail. Pay particular attention to the ends and you will see that they are kind of see through.
That offspring has parents that had some form of translucent traits, which is of course passed on to the next generation. If both parents have that trait then chances are the offspring will have it too - but that is not a 100% guarantee, as you will see later on. One unique feature of a trans citrus bearded dragon is that they have solid black eyes, which is a trait that some people look for.
Hypo Trans Beardies
As you may have guessed, an offspring that is called hypo trans has the combined traits of hypomelanism and translucent skin. Now this combination may not be as pronounced as purely trans or purely hypo bearded dragons. Most hypo trans breeds have somewhat translucent and somewhat hypo skin qualities.
Het Hypo Dragons
As stated earlier, there is no 100% percent probability that a bearded dragon offspring will have the exact same traits as its parentage. For instance, even if both dragon parents have the hypo trait, you shouldn't be surprised to find that some of their offspring do not exhibit hypomelanism.
The offspring that have hypo parents but do not display the hypomalanism trait is called a het hypo. They have that trait or in other words they are carriers of that trait. Now that doesn't mean that the offspring of het hypo dragons won't have the hypo trait. It will depend on the dragon they will be bred with. Breed it with a dragon with a hypo trait and you will have a higher probability of having some of the clutch of the next generation display the hypo trait. We'll go over that in a little bit later.
Bearded dragons who are het trans are pretty much like het hypo dragons except that they carry the translucent skin train rather than hypomelanism. Again, these bearded dragons are carriers of that trait even though they do not have that trait.
Double Het Trait
The double het trait is a combination of both the het trans and the het hypo traits found in bearded dragons. In other words they are carriers of both the hypo and trans traits which they inherited from their parents. They do not visually display these traits but they can pass them on to their offspring.
Hypo Het Trans Trait
Bearded dragons that are described to be hypo het trans are carriers of both the hypo and trans traits but only display the hypo trait. Depending on the type of bearded dragon they mate with their offspring may have dragons in the clutch that show the hypo, trans, or both traits.
Trans Het Hypo Trait
Finally, as you might have guessed judging by the arrangement of the trait names mentioned above, a trans het hypo bearded dragon carries both the trans and hypo traits in their genes except that it displays only the translucent trait. Nevertheless, they can pass on either or both the trans and hypo traits to their offspring depending on the bearded dragon they mate with.
You may want to go over these descriptions one more time if they still seem confusing. Remember, there's no rush. After going through all of that information, you should now be able to tell what exactly a hypo het trans citrus bearded dragon is.
Chapter 5: Breeding Probabilities
So, what happens when you breed citrus bearded dragons of different genotypes and phenotypes? Let's say you have a hypo citrus and you breed it with a trans citrus? What are the chances of that their offspring will have traits similar to those found in the parents?
As explained earlier, mating two bearded dragons that have similar qualities or traits (such as a pair that are more translucent than others) will have a greater probability of producing offspring that have the said similar trait. It was also mentioned in the previous chapter that this isn't 100%. Some bearded dragon babies will have that trans quality while others in the clutch won't. Same question - what is probability of having that? Remember that this is not an exact science.
The good news is that you won't have to do the work - someone else has done the dirty work for you. There's no need to invent another rolling device and call it a wheel, so to speak. There are breeding probability charts produced by breeders and they are quite accurate.
But remember - breeder tested results are also not 100% fool proof. Don't be surprised to find one or a few baby dragons to bear traits you didn't expect to see. So this is what will happen in case you mix dragons with varying mutations and genetic make-up.
Breeding Probability for Normal Citrus Bearded Dragons
- Mating 2 normal citrus dragons: this breeding will produce 100% normal offspring.
- Mating 1 normal and 1 hypo citrus: offspring will be a 100% het hypo
- Mating 1 normal and 1 trans citrus produces het trans citrus offspring
- Mating 1 normal and 1 hypo trans citrus produces 100% double het offspring
- Mating 1 normal and 1 het hypo citrus: 50% probability of normal and 50% het hypo.
- Mating 1 normal and 1 het trans citrus bearded dragons: 50% probability of getting normal offspring and 50% probability of getting het trans citrus beardies.
- No data for breeding normal citrus with double het, hypo het trans, and trans het hypo.
Breeding Probability for Hypo Citrus Bearded Dragons
- Mating 1 hypo citrus with another hypo citrus has 100% probability of producing hypo citrus offspring.
- Breeding 1 hypo citrus with a trans citrus has 100% chance of producing double het offspring.
- Mating 1 hypo citrus with a het hypo citrus has 50% probability of producing hypo citrus and 50% chance of producing het hypo citrus.
- Breeding 1 hypo citrus with a trans het hypo citrus dragon has 50% probability of producing hypo citrus and 50% chance of producing trans het hypo citrus offspring.
- No data for breeding hypo citrus with hypo trans, double het, and hypo het trans citrus dragons.
Breeding Probability for Trans Citrus Bearded Dragons
- Mating 1 trans citrus bearded dragon with 1 normal produces 100% het trans offspring.
- Mating a trans citrus dragon with a hypo citrus has 100% probability of producing double het offspring.
- Breeding a trans citrus with another trans citrus has 100% chance of producing trans citrus dragons.
- Breeding 1 trans citrus dragon with a het hypo citrus has 50% chance of producing trans citrus dragons and 50% chance of getting het hypo citrus bearded dragons.
- Mating 1 trans citrus with 1 het trans citrus produces 50% probability for het trans offspring and 50% chance of producing trans citrus dragons.
- Mating 1 trans citrus with a hypo het trans citrus has 50% chance of producing trans citrus and 50% of producing hypo het trans citrus offspring.
- No data for breeding 1 trans citrus with hypo trans, double het, and trans het hypo citrus dragons.
Breeding Probability for Hypo Trans Citrus Bearded Dragons
- The probability for mating 2 hypo trans citrus is 100% for producing hypo trans citrus bearded dragon offspring.
- Mating hypo trans citrus with a hypo het trans has 50% probability for producing hypo trans citrus and 50% for hypo het trans.
- Mating a hypo trans citrus with a trans het hypo citrus has 50% chance of producing hypo trans citrus and 50% chance for trans het hypo citrus.
- No data for hypo trans citrus bred with hypo, trans, het hypo, het trans, and double het.
Breeding Probability for Het Hypo Citrus Bearded Dragons
- Breed het hypo trans citrus with a hypo citrus has 50% chance of producing het hypo citrus and 50% for hypo citrus.
- Breed het hypo citrus with trans gives you 50% chance of producing het hypo citrus and 50% of producing het hypo citrus dragons.
- Breed 2 het hypo dragons and you have 100% het hypos, 25% het citrus, and 25% normal citrus.
- Breed 1 het hypo with 1 het trans you get 25% chance of producing het hypo citrus, 25% of producing het trans, and 50% chance of producing hypo citrus bearded dragons.
- No data for breeding het hypo citrus with hypo trans, double het, hypo het, and trans het hypo.
Breeding Probability for Het Trans Citrus Bearded Dragons
- Breed het trans citrus with trans citrus and you get 50% probability for het trans and 50% probability for producing trans citrus bearded dragons.
- Breed het trans with het hypo has 25% chance for het hypo, 25% probability for het trans, and 50% probability for hypo citrus dragons.
- Breed het trans with another het trans has 50% probability for het trans, 25% for trans, and 25% for normal citrus dragons.
- No data for breeding het trans citrus with hypo, hypo trans, double het, hypo het trans, and trans het hypo citrus.
Breeding Probability for Double Het Citrus Bearded Dragons
- Breeding 2 double het citrus has 50% chance of producing double het citrus dragons, 25% for hypo het, and 25% for producing het trans citrus dragons.
- Breeding double het citrus with hypo het trans has 50% probability for getting hypo het trans offspring, and 50% chance for hypo citrus.
- Breed double het with trans het hypo gives you a 50% chance for producing het trans citrus offspring and 50% trans citrus offspring.
Remember that these figures are not 100% fool proof. You may still get other traits when breeding different citrus bearded dragons. To get a pretty good perspective of these probabilities, you need to inspect the bloodlines involved.
Thank you again for reading this hub!
I hope this hub was able to help you to understand citrus bearded dragons, their general characteristics, and the breeding info and probabilities. The next step is to go to different pet stores and breeders to see what features and traits you prefer in a citrus bearded dragon.
Finally, if you enjoyed this hub, then I'd like to ask you for a favor, would you be kind enough to leave a like/share for this hub on social media? It'd be greatly appreciated!
Thank you and good luck!
- "Types Of Bearded Dragons – Types, Colors And Species". By Pets Store. Retrieved on 2017, July 8.
- "Bearded Dragons Types, Colors, and Species". By The Bearded Dragon. Retrieved on 2017, July 8.
- "Citrus Bearded". By Dachiu Bearded Dragons. Retrieved on 2017, July 8.
- "Male Dragons". By Carolina Classic Dragons, LLC. Retrieved on 2017, July 8.
- "Breeders & Future Breeders". By South Texas Dragons. Retrieved on 2017, July 8.
- "Citrus Tiger Info". By Draggintails. Retrieved on 2017, July 8.
- "Bearded Dragon Care Sheet". By Reptiles Magazine. Retrieved on 2017, July 8.