If you've ever had a pet pig, you'll have found they can be very sweet natured animals - sometimes.
Pigs have been domesticated for a long time - it's claimed that they were originally bred by the Chinese thousands of years ago.
However, wild pigs still roam many parts of the world.
Pork, ham and bacon have been popular meats for many centuries and are included in many meals to this day.
There have been some claims that pigs are smarter than dogs and in fact make better pets, as well.
Whether your interest in pigs stems from their cute pink looks and adorable nature or you just are innately curious, chances are you've wondered why pigs have curly tails.
Why do pigs have curly tails?
There are several reasons that pigs may have curly tails, and although they are not all based on fact, they do have fairly equal merit.
- The curly tail was bred into them by Chinese breeders. Wild pigs still have straight tails.
- Some pig breeds have naturally curly tails while other breeds simply do not.
- The curly tail was an evolutionary answer to pig fights. During fights, pigs will often bite one another's tail, causing serious injury. A curly tail is harder to grasp and bite.
Funny Reasons Why Pigs Have Curly Tails
There are many jokes about why pigs have curly tails. Here are a few funny reasons:
- Because they are born in the 'spring'.
- Because they don't have toes to curl.
- Because they can't use straighteners.
- Because they use curling irons.
- Because a kid pulled their tail so much that it sprung into a curl.
Photo thanks to artethgray
P Rex on November 08, 2018:
I like the pig jokes
Hello4d on January 24, 2018:
Some pigs have curly tails and some don't have curly tails.
I have a friend that have's pigs and there pigs don't have curly tails.
PiggyPuff on February 08, 2016:
Yesh. I do like ems curly tails
patricia on October 22, 2015:
bob on December 15, 2014:
that is so funny
Eloise Hope from Portland, Oregon, USA on October 17, 2011:
Thanks! This is a fun hub, and overall I really like your group of questions as an organizing principle. Fun! I can imagine them as a children's book.
konrel on September 21, 2010:
Wow, I thought pigs had curly tails to make them look cute.They realy are not much to look at but that tail is cute all curly.