I am a dog lover. I immensely provide top-rated ideas on all health-giving lifestyle for dogs such dog toys, treats and training supplies.
What kind of dog is Scooby doo? How does it look like in real life? We all wondered about these things. Some of us even fantasized about having a Scooby-Doo for themselves. Well, keep reading we will answer all your curious questions.
Each generation has its own cartoon gang. Well for the 90s and the 2000s kids, Scooby Doo where are you is one of those jams. Most of us still remember how excited we get when it’s time to watch the cartoon.
Cartoon shows are not just for kids. It is for all of us of all ages. It brings warm memories of the past. Scooby-Doo is one of those shows that we still remember even its airing time.
You know that time where we had to rush to the kitchen to get a snack before the show is back. Well, this is something the coming generation won’t live. Thanks to technology, I guess.
Dogs, pets in general, always add joyful atmosphere to shows. They add a lively atmosphere. Scooby is one of these characters.
Scooby doo is mostly known as an animation. However, this cartoon character has become later on a popular icon. The cartoon show was spawned into live-action films from 1969 to the present.
The most recent of these series releases is “Scooby-Doo and Guess Who?”. It premiered in 2019. Also, the “Scoob!” Which is a computer-animated comedy-mystery movie. Recently, world supermodel Gigi Hadid revealed her appearance in the show.
Who is Scooby Doo?
Scooby Doo is a character and the protagonist of the animated television franchise “Scooby Doo, where are you?” The American animation company Hanna-Barbera created the character of Scooby Doo in 1969.
His name is not Scooby do, obviously. His full name is Scoobert Doobert. He is the lifelong companion of the sloppy detective Shaggy Rogers. Funnily enough, they nearly share the same personality traits.
Scooby Doo displays both dogs and human behaviors. Not only that, he is actually treated by shaggy and their other friends as an equal. Scoobert speaks in an indistinct voice, a dog-like voice.
“Scooby-Dooby-Doo!” is our childhood friend’s catchphrase. You probably heard this phrase even if you never watch the show.
A Brief History of Scooby Doo :
“Scooby doo where are you?” is a cartoon show. it revolves around Scooby Doo and other four teenagers. The main characters are Scooby Doo, Shaggy Rogers (who is Scooby’s owner), Fred Jones, Vilma Dinkley and Daphne Blake.
They are all fellow members of Mystery Inc. the latter is a research society. they travel around the world in a van called Mystery Machine. Most importantly, they solve mysteries that involve ghosts and supernatural creatures.
The original series made a massive success. Following that, it sustained reboots and spin-offs. This kept the cartoon well alive. The show gained fans over and over with each new generation of viewers.
What kind of dog is Scooby Doo?
Well, the first thing that comes to most dog owners is “Great Dane”. They base their assumptions on the physical similarities between the two. However, it is not easy to judge.
Iwao Takamoto, who is the creator Scooby Doo’s character, wanted to create an uncanny. You see the image of Scooby Doo is, unarguably, of a Great Dane. However, Takamoto re-created the image of the breed as a cartoon personage, yet with a little spice.
I mean he featured a Great Dane with the exact opposite known traits of the breed. First off, he gave Scooby-Doo a small chin. He also gave it a humpback. Don’t even get me started on the wrong color. In addition, to so several features of an “anti-Great Dane.”
Technically, Takamoto aimed at making the character more fun than a normal Great Dane.
Takamoto clarified: “I decided to go the opposite [way] and gave him a humpback, bowed legs, small chin and such. Even his color is wrong.”
Thus, are Scooby-Doo and Great Dane the same? Okay, let’s dig a little bit deeper.
Scooby Doo Vs Great Dane :
Physical traits :
It is commonly known that Great Danes are natively born elegant. They feature that image of English noblemen. Technically this resemblance is for their smooth peculiar pace. Great Danes are tall. Their shoulders mostly measure 32 inches.
As a matter of fact, Great Danes are way taller than most other breeds. In addition, they have a well-formed muscled body. They tend to be strong, graceful and courageous. Well, do you think we can we say the same about Scooby-Doo? Let us see!
|Features||Scooby Doo||Great Dane|
Brown with some black spots
Brown, Brindle, Black, Harlequin, Mantle, Blue.
Eye color :
Blue as puppies, then they morph into brown as adults.
Straight and pointed
Straight and pointed
A very long tail that is soft
A long tail
Male: 130-180 pounds Female:110-150 pounds
Pizza, Scooby Snacks and Ice Cream
Adult dog food, Whole meat like lamb, beef, fish and whole chicken.
Stronger than most dogs
Tolerance of humans :
Special traits :
·Can talk like a human ·has the same intelligence level. ·can discover people’s scent and track them down.
·A great desire to please their owner ·easy to train
In addition, Scooby has a sloped humpback, bow legs, a tiny sloping chin. Besides, the character has opposable thumbs. In other words, Scooby can use his paws like human hands.
Personality traits :
Personality-wise, we also have complete contradictory characters. First of all, Great Danes tend to be sweet natures. they are patient with kids and unbelievably friendly. At the same time, great Danes are alert home guardians.
Generally, the overall image of a Great Dane is of a cautious, smart dog. Great Danes will go beyond the lines to protect your and your property. They would make a smart intruder think twice before breaking into your house. In many cases, they may risk losing their lives.
Don’t be fooled by how nice and friendly they are. Don’t take their friendliness for softness. Every Great Dane displays courage.
On the other hand, we have our beloved cartoon friend, Scooby Doo. The cartoon character is hilariously coward and continuously hungry. he is either hungry or scared lol. These are his major mood.
Talking about Scooby Doo’s character, the writers asserted that they were inspired by the great comedian Bob Hope of all time during the making our friend Scoobert.
The comedian played a coward character in scary scenes. However, the character suddenly turns brave once his friends were in danger.
Scooby-Doo is a talking dog. However, he has speech flaws. Scooby utters most words as if they start with an “R.” this is what makes him funny for both kids and adults. His speech is fully understandable.
The answer :
Taking into consideration all the differences and similarities between Great Danes and Scooby Doo, we can say that our friend is close to being a Great Dane. As a matter of fact, the closest type of a Great Dane, Scooby Doo is, would be that of a fawn.
Regardless of the spots, Scooby’s coat color is pretty much darn. This is pretty close to that of a fawn Great Dane.
What you don’t know about Scooby Doo :
Can you believe that Scooby-Doo has been on the screen for 52 years?! Since you are here and you want to know more about Scooby Doo. we’ve collected some interesting facts about this cartoon icon:
- The cartoon character was 7 years old when “Scooby-Doo, Where Are You” was released, about 50 in human years.
- Great Danes tend to live between 8-to-10 years.
- “Too Much” is the first planned name of our beloved dog. Then, it was changed to “Scooby-Doo,” thank god it was changed.
- Scooby-Doo is the most cartoon episodes ever released.
- The voice of Scooby-Doo belongs to Don Messick, from 1969 up to 2002. Don Messick also did the voices of Astro in The Jetsons, Papa Smurf, and Scrappy-Doo.
- After Don Messick, Frank Weller started voicing Scooby-Doo since 2002 and on. Frank also voiced Freddy of all times.
- Scooby Doo has a girlfriend, Nova. She is a Cocker Spaniel. Unlike Scooby, Nova is a normal dog. She has less human-like traits than Scooby.
- All the human personages included in the cartoon series were inspired by “The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis.” This is a famous early 1969s TV comedy starring Bob Denver. However, the main characters were not from that show.
- Shaggy’s voice, Casey Kasem, insisted on making Shaggy a vegetarian. However, the idea wasn’t a success.
- Until now, the record of the villains that Scooby-Doo and his friends have fought and defeated is actually about 400.
- The only characters that made a constant appearance on the show Scooby-Doo and Shaggy, since the creation of the cartoon series.
- “W-Who’s S-S-Scared,” is the intended name of the tv cartoon series. However, it was believed that would be scary for kids. For this, they changed it into “Scooby-Doo.”
- The way how Scooby’s can’t utter the letter “R” was kind of funny. However, there is an actual speech disorder. It is medically known as rhotacism.
- Originally, Scooby-Doo was supposed to be a sheepdog. However, in the end, he resembled Hot Dog from “Archie” a lot. Finally, the cartoonists decided to turn him into a Great Dane, yet a misshaped one.
- Do you know that there was a fear that Scooby Doo would look like Marmaduke from the comic strip Marmaduke? The cartoonists feared that Marmaduke would shade Scooby. Especially, that both of them looked like a Great Dane. The comic strip character was widely famous. Ironically, the exact opposite happened.
- There is a contradiction in the tv show. according to the first series, Scooby was with Shaggy since he was a puppy. However, in the latest series, we see that Scooby came to Shaggy’s life as an adult. Thus, we can say that we will never know when precisely did shaggy met Scooby.
- “My glasses, I can’t see without them!” you probably know whose this catchphrase is this? Yes! it’s Velma’s. did you know that it was not part of the script? Nicole Jaffe who is the actress voicing Velma made this remark. Soon after, this remark turned out to be iconic.
- Scooby-Doo’s fame crosses over 160 countries all around the world.
- Scooby has two brothers. Actually, the three of them are triples. The names of his identical siblings are Dooby-Doo and Skippy-Doo. Unlike what many people know, the little Scrappy-Doo is actually his nephew not his little brother or son.
Other famous dogs from other shows :
What Type of Dog Is Snoopy?
The answer to this question is obvious. Charlie Brown’s dog from Peanuts, our beloved friend Snoopy, is a beagle. You probably expected this one. Looking at his trademark howl, he can only be a beagle.
What Type of Dog Is Pluto?
You probably know Pluto. He is Mickey Mouse’s pal. Pluto is undoubtedly a mutt. However, there is confusion over what type of dog is Pluto.
Well, this is dues to Pluto’s very first appearance in the 1930 cartoon “The Chain Gang.” Our beloved friend Pluto was depicted as a bloodhound.
What Type of Dog Is Hooch?
Hooch is that dog from the film Turner. Well, talking breed, Hooch is a Dogue de Bordeaux. This breed is an old French dog breed.
The Dogue de Bordeaux’s dogs are powerful dogs. They have gigantic heads and sturdy builds. In fact, they are working dogs.
However, they are pretty friendly. They make great family dogs. They tend to be good with kids. Dogs like Hooch are affectionate, loyal, and brave.
What Type of Dog Is Toto?
Remember that dog from The Wizard Of Oz? yes Toto, Dorthy’s dog. Well, Toto is a Carin Terrier.
- Frank Baum didn’t specify precisely what breed does Toto belong to in the initial book. However, the book’s illustrator, W.W. Denslow, decided to draw Toto as a Cairn Terrier.
Cairn Terriers are one of Scotland’s breeds. They are working dogs. The name “Cairn” comes from the breed’s duty. Cairn Terriers used to chase quarry amid the cairns in the Scottish Highlands.
What Type of Dog Is Benji?
Benji is actually a mixed breed mutt. He is from the movie Benji. The dog is believed by his owner and trainer to be a mix of Miniature Poodle, Cocker Spaniel, and Schnauzer.
What Type of Dog Is Lassie?
Lassie is a Rough Collie. You can figure this out just by looking at the dog’s abilities. Lassie is an example of rough collies. She has great qualities such as intelligence and training.
What Type of Dog Is Max( of Max)?
Max is a Belgian Malinois. Max is the dog from the movie Max. The Belgian Malinois dogs are mostly used by the military and the police. This breed is a working one. It has a history of serving.
However, this doesn’t mean they can’t be family dogs. Belgian Malinois are capable of co-existing with kids. However, their owners should know that their Belgian Malinois requires regular exercise and heavy, professional training.
What Type of Dog Is Max (of the Grinch)?
The breed of Max is a mutt. Well, this max is that dog from the 2000 movie “How The Grinch Stole Christmas.” As a matter of fact, the pup who plays Max with Jim Carrey as The Grinch is adopted from a shelter.
What Type of Dog Is Marmaduke?
Marmaduke is a Great Dane. Well, if you don’t know who is Marmaduke is the Winslow family’s dog in the comic strip “Marmaduke.”
What Type of Dog Is Lady & Tramp?
Well, this the cutest couple ever. You definitely know them. Well, Lady is an American Cocker Spaniel. While Lady’s counterpart Tramp is a mutt. The two characters are of Disney’s 1955 animated classic, Lady & The Tramp.
What Type of Dog Is Cujo?
Cujo is St. Bernard. Well, Cujo is that terrifying dog from Stephen King’s.
As a matter of fact, St. Bernards aren’t famous for being aggressive or scary. Actually, they are extremely sweet-tempered, loveable goofballs. If you are looking at Cujo, well, he was bitten by a bat. You guys know what bats would do to the world.
What Type of Dog Is Wishbone?
Wishbone is a Jack Russell Terrier. Wishbone is the dog from the PBS series adored by many of the 90s kids.
What Type of Dog Is Winn-Dixie?
Winn-Dixie is a Berger Picard Shepherd. Winn-Dixie is the dog from the movie “Because of Winn-Dixie.”
What Type of Dog Is Marley?
Marley is a yellow Labrador retriever. Marley is the dog from the movie Marley & Me. This breed is one of the most widespread dog breeds in America.
What Type of Dog Is Courage?
Courage is a beagle. In case you don’t know it, he is the dog from Cartoon Network’s animated TV show Courage the Cowardly Dog.
What Type of Dog Is Old Yeller?
Old Yeller is said to be a black mouth cur. Old yeller is the dog from the children’s novel by Fred Gipson. However, the dog who played Old Yeller in the Disney movie is a Labrador retriever/mastiff mix.
What Type of Dog Is Jake?
Well, Jake is confirmed to be a bulldog. Jake is the yellow dog from Cartoon Network’s Adventure Time.
What Type of Dog Is in The Sandlot?
The dog that was called “the beast” is an English mastiff. The name of this terrifying giant dog is Hercules.
What Type of Dog Are Kermit & Marbles?
What Type of Dog Is Fang?
Fang is believed to be a Great Dane. The dog is from the Harry Potter series. The dog is stated to be a Great Dane in the books. However, Fang is depicted by several Neapolitan mastiffs in the movies.
Do you really want to know what kind of dog is Scooby Doo? Well, the answer to this question is simple. Scooby Doo is a cartoon dog, another mystery solved!
Originally, the character was set to be a Great Dane. Come on it would be unbelievably boring if a cartoon character resembled real-life dog. Where would the imagination be? cartoon world has to be different.
Scooby Doo has the physical appearance of a clumsy Great Dane. However, he is the great Dane of the cartoon world. Besides, the contradiction between Scooby Soo and Great Danes is genius. The level of the similarity and the difference is what made Scoobert Doobert, Scooby Doo.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2021 Steve Jonz