Donna has been a cat parent and writer for the span of her lifetime. Her heart's passion is to share her love and knowledge of cats.
Essential Food Ingredients Fit for Feline Royalty!
What are the main ingredients to look for in natural/indoor cat foods and which ones satisfies hunger and maintains your cat's health through their growing years to their senior years!
There are several brands that are great for your cat, and you can rest assured that you're feeding your kitty high-quality, nutritious foods.
Believe me, your cat will thank you!
Now, some brands are more expensive than others just do your research to find out exactly what the brand offers and if it's within your budget. I will cover what to watch for so you can get an idea of what's available.
Choosing Healthy Foods for Your Cat
- Corn, Wheat or Soy.
- Additives, Compounds or Fillers.
- Synthetic Fertilizers or Chemical Dyes.
Ingredients to Look for in Choosing Healthy Foods
- Chicken, Turkey, Lean Beef, Salmon and Lamb.
- Organic peas, pumpkins, and Sweet Potatoes
- Vegetables, Legumins, and Berries.
- Omega 3, Omega 6, vitamins and minerals, Taurine for optimum complete nutrition.
Healthy Alternatives for Indoor Cats - Natural Treats
When it comes to your cat deserving of a treat for being good or doing tricks for you. They deserve the best quality, natural superb taste and are healthy for them too!
Now that you have changed your cat to a healthier diet, you need to make sure their treats align with the same value points.
- Gluten-Free, No Fillers
- Great tasting natural ingredients
- No Artificial Ingredients or Fillers
- High-quality ingredients
- Proteins and Vitamins
Healthy Alternatives for Indoor Cats - Toxic Foods
- Raisins, grapes, onions
- Milk - Hard in their digestive tract will cause your cat stomach problems and diarrhea.
- Chocolate- Yes, some people give their cats chocolate, please refrain from doing so, it's poison to their digestive system.
Let's Move On to the Litter Box
Natural Cat Litter
There are all kinds of brands which specialize in natural and organic cat litter such as clumping litter, low-dust and no perfumes that will irritate their little noses.
Also, one that doesn't stink up your house or stick to their paws and get all over the floor, carpet, their bedding, and furniture.
Natural cat litter is the Perfect Choice!
The following is a list that is economical, eco-friendly, and biodegradable:
- Corn Litter - The strongest in quality and best in clumping ability and reducing smell - is one of the best biodegradable cat litters. It contains large pellets that make it safer for kittens to use.
- Pine Litter - Made from sawdust, this is a pellet litter. Some pine litter brands have small granules and are dust-free. Does an excellent job hiding the urine smell but doesn't hide poop smells that well!
- Natural Fresh Walnut Litter - Made from walnut shells, fibrous and absorbent. Good odor control and low on litter dust. It comes in pellets and finer textures and there are courser textures as well.
- Paper Litter - Made from recycled paper and eco-friendly. Negative side: has poor odor control. It is a pellet litter. Low dust.
- Wheat Litter - Made from “secondary wheat” – is a wheat grain that isn’t high-quality enough for human food. It contains natural enzymes to help minimize and neutralize odor control.
- Clay-Based Litter - It's cheap with minimal odor control.
- Clumping Clay Litter - A finer grade, scoopable litter. not flushable down the toilet because it releases toxins into the air and can irritate your cat's nose and is not good for humans either.
- Newspaper Pulp Litter - This litter looks like rabbit food pellets that are grayish black.
The Best Litter Out There = Sustainably Yours! - Jackson Galaxy!
Let's Wrap Things Up!
As cat parents, we always strive to give our cats the best life possible. We treat our "pets" like family, and they are very dear to our hearts and play a big part of our lives.
We want to prolong their lives, even past the "Nine Lives" movement where so many cats fall under. With close calls and daredevil stunts.
Haha... you know which ones I am talking about... don't you :)
You want to feed your cat with the absolute best ingredients. Whether it's their dry food or canned food or treats. Not sacrificing a taste for quality. But give the best that you can give them. Thus, all natural is the best choice!
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. It is not meant to substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, or formal and individualized advice from a veterinary medical professional. Animals exhibiting signs and symptoms of distress should be seen by a veterinarian immediately.
© 2021 Donna Rayne
Donna Rayne (author) from Greenwood, Indiana on July 29, 2021:
Thank you, Brenda, and Flourish! I appreciate your comments, and though some of the products mentioned are expensive but I only have 3 cats, one loves "regular" foods but my other two only will eat Blue Buffalo wet food, which is like $1.69 a can but it's full of good-for-you ingredients and their coats shine like the sun! I adopted all of them and they are the best cats! Flourish, I wish I could adopt them all! :)
FlourishAnyway from USA on July 29, 2021:
I mostly have old cats. (I have 8 because people keep leaving their pets behind in the adjoining neighborhood and I have taken them in over the years when they show up at my door and refuse to leave.). I have tried many different types of food and litter on the market. I like your focus on knowing what is in your pet’s food.
BRENDA ARLEDGE from Washington Court House on July 28, 2021:
What's not to love about kittys?
Of course they deserve the best...but that cat litter is expensive.
I wonder if it is okay since they often say to steer clear of corn.
It sounds wonderful though.