Zia has been a keen pet lover since childhood. He is quite an expert on various pets and how to deal with them in and out the house.
Characters of a Goldfish
Goldfish are beautiful and resilient fish, and also tough. They are suitable for beginners who wants to breed one, however, they can grow quite large, often around 20 cm (8 inches) in the aquarium, and maybe even grow bigger. Goldfish are traditional fish, and breeders have always kept them indoors for their beauty. They are still very popular pets today.
The types of goldfish can be divided into two forms. One type is the long-bodied ancestral, such as the common goldfish and comets, and the other one is the round-bodied fancy goldfish. Fancy goldfish varieties have a wide range of shapes, fins and colors. Their tail is divided into two, rather than the single tail fin of the common fish. If you visit a pet store or an aquarium shop, you may often see crossbreeds, such as a nymph, which is a fish that has a round-bodied shape but only a single tail fin. These are looked down on by goldfish breeders, but they can still be attractive and joyful to keep in a fish tank at home.
It is not normal and not advisable to mix long-bodied and round-bodied goldfish in the same fish tank. This is because the round body shape is less streamlined and these fish are slow swimmers. Being force to compete for food and swimming space with the darting forms of comets can result in the slower fish becoming stressed, getting insufficient food, and even being accidentally knocked about in the passage of their faster cousins. If you own an aquarium, a gentle output from the filter is recommended for goldfish, or if an internal power is used, turn it to face across the aquarium, instead of lengthways. This will make it easier for the fish to stay out of the current. All varieties of goldfish are especially peaceful, and can make a beautiful, stunning aquarium display.
Three Different Colored Orandos
List of Fancy Goldfish
- Oranda Goldfish: This type of goldfish has many great features and its country of origin is China. The most distinctive part of the oranda is the 'wen'. This is an ornate growth on the top and sides of the head. Plus, they have long trailing fins, and are available in several colors such as red, orange, white, silver, gray, chocolate-white, bronze, black-white and red-black-and-white (tricolor) etc. The tancho oranda (or red cap oranda) goldfish is very attractive, because of its white color and has a red wen.
- Ranchu Goldfish: This fish is originated in Japan, and regarded as the 'king of goldfish' by the Japanese people. This fish is a fan-tailed breed and has a similar head growth and a range of colors to the oranda fish. However, it differs from the oranda because it has a shorter and neater tail and has no dorsal fin. Ranchu goldfish are generally available in orange, black or chocolate color.
- Bubble-Eye Goldfish: The bubble-eye's origin is in China. This type of fish takes its name from the large fluid-filled sacs which appear underneath the eye, and forcing the fish to look upwards. These type of fish require special care and avoidance of sharp objects in the tank, to prevent the delicate bubbles from being damaged. This fish is also has a double tail but no dorsals.
- Celestial Eye Goldfish: This fish is of a Chinese and Korean origin. It also gazes up towards the sky like the bubble-eye fish, but the eyes simply turn up, rather than having the fluid-filled sac of the bubble-eye. Basically, it has telescopic eyes.
- Fantail Goldfish: This fish is originated in China and Japan. Generally one of the most popular fancy goldfish, and comes in a wide range of colors. The fantail simply has long trailing fins and a trailing fan-shaped tail, which is easy to recognize. They may also have normal or telescopic eyes.
Specific Facts on Goldfish
- Carassius auratus auratus is the scientific name for goldfish
- The length of a goldfish is 20 cm (8inches) and plus
- Flake or pellets is its natural diet
- Goldfish swims generally in mid-water or the top
- Goldfish have a good memory which can last up to 3 months
- Goldfish are members of the carp family along with the koi
Celestial Eye Goldfish
Kristine Consler on July 03, 2020:
I have 3 gold fish. The largest is turning white. It does not have little white spots like ick does. Eating and acting normal. The other two have no changes at all. I added water conditioner and stress coat but no change. They are all the same kind. They all have white and orange fan tails. So could this change just be a normal thing ?
Deborah Minter from U.S, California on December 28, 2018:
Mu favorite fish!
Melissa on October 26, 2014:
What does it mean when my goldfish turns on his back? He's been doing this for 2 days now & each time my son has to put him back into position
jessica ehfberkhjgberuigh on September 29, 2014:
jessica dunnington on September 14, 2013:
llove the page when i say love mean love
caryln on April 15, 2013:
goldfish are cool
symone on March 25, 2013:
cool gold fish
idigwebsites from United States on October 19, 2012:
Seeing this hub makes me want to own an aquarium again... great profile on goldfishies. :)
Sophie from United Kingdom on August 16, 2012:
I love goldfish, my favourite is the 'usual' orange-type (which can be seen on your picture) and the bubble-eye one, in black colour. Sadly, according to my experiences the latter one is very prone to all diseases and tend to die even in the best environment :(..... Or I was very unlucky with them so far.
Voted up + interesting!