Jenna has been a professional equine & pet photographer for over ten years. She has horses, dogs, cats & chickens and is an animal lover.
CBD oil, or hemp oil, has proven anti-anxiety effects for animals and humans. I use CBD to manage my own anxiety.
Thunder, fireworks and loud noises
The weather forecast for next week is heavy storms with lots and lots of hard thunder.
This is always a worry for us as our poor Collie Jess hates storms and really struggles with them.
So I thought it would be a good idea to share this fantastic product with you.
I personally take CBD oil for my own anxiety, so I know how good it is from my own experience. Which is why we decided to try it with Jess. She is terrified of fireworks, bangs, thunder etc and is quite an anxious dog anyway, even though she is regularly exercised, runs around with the horses every day is stimulated.
Our own experience
So we did some research and came across this amazing product. She is like a different dog on it. She is calmer, the bangs still scare her but she isn't as frantic, she calms down a lot quicker and is not as hot, stressed and trembling as she usually is.
Reasons to use hemp oil...
It's not psychoactive
CBD has all the benefits of cannabis without the THC, which is what usually causes the high
The studios of CBD show that it reduces anxiety significantly, even with things like panic disorders and PTSD in humans and animals
Can help with seizures
Around 5% of dogs suffer from seizures. The drugs that are given long term to dogs with seizures can be harmful to the liver and other organs. CBD has shown to work well in reducing the frequency of seizures within 4-5 months
Helps to reduce inflammation
CBD oil helps to reduce inflammation by decreasing the production and release of inflammatory cytokines. It also helps to suppress Th17 dominance, which is a cause osmany autoimmune diseases
Jess, our Collie
We personally use the GOODGROWLIES Hemp Oil for Dogs and Cats. There are many different types and brands you can buy but this one we have used on our own pets with fantastic results.
Have a read through the reviews on Amazon too, there are some amazing stories on there.
We have added it to our Amazon page --> https://www.amazon.co.uk/shop/ravenphotos
A simple dropper bottle
We love to recommend products that we have genuinely used to help you and your pets.
Don't forget to check out our Amazon page for more recommended products from us.
And don't forget to follow us on social media.
Links to Study Results:
- Forbes article on the CBD and Dog Arthritis study done at Cornell University:
- The actual published Cornell University CBD and Dog Arthritis study: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fvets.2018.00165/full
- Colorado State University release on the preliminary data from the (pilot) study looking at CBD as a treatment for Epilepsy in dogs:
- CBS News story on the CBD and Epilepsy (pilot) study done at Colorado State University:
- Here are the two companies that had their products tested in these clinical trials. These would be the two companies to look at first if you're interested in finding CBD products for your pets. ElleVet Sciences is the company whose product was tested in the Cornell (dogs and osteoarthritis study), while Applied Basic Sciences Corporation (ABSC) is the company whose products were tested in the Colorado State University dogs and epilepsy (pilot) study.
- A small study published in 2019 found that epileptic dogs given CBD in addition to seizure medication had significantly fewer seizures than those that received seizure medication and a placebo.
- Pharmacokinetics, Safety, and Clinical Efficacy of Cannabidiol Treatment in Osteoarthritic Dogs https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fvets.2018.00165/full
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. It is not meant to substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, or formal and individualized advice from a veterinary medical professional. Animals exhibiting signs and symptoms of distress should be seen by a veterinarian immediately.
© 2020 Jenna Goodwin