Rogue cat lover. I rescued 2 kittens and learn by my teeny mistakes. Fortunately, they guide me with compassion for my human limitations.
The Magic Blue Dawn Detergent
How I Discovered Fleas
Live fleas and bits of fleas are something I never want to find on my dear kitties.
But, I discovered them one day while I was combing my indoor-only cats. As you may have observed at a veterinarian's exam, if you find little dark tidbits in your cat's fur, put them on a white tissue or paper towel. Then rub over them in one direction with your finger. If they leave reddish streaks on the paper, that is a sign that the bits are probably fleas full of your kitty's blood.
Poor, itchy kitties!
Also, you may see tiny live, whole fleas hopping around your cat's ears and other parts.
Fix this immediately. In addition to torturing your pets, fleas like to take residence throughout your home and bother everything and everyone.
Bathe Your Cat To Remove Fleas
Fleas do not like water. At least not heavily streaming shower or bath water.
So when I realized my 16-week-old kitten was full of fleas, I gave him a bath. Boy, how those fleas starting jumping to escape! However, their escape route was to go to different parts of my kitten's body.
I apparently drove those disgusting fleas from my cat's head towards what they hoped was a safer, dryer place down his trunk, although everything there was also wet.
Have you ever picked live, running fleas from a wiggly four-month-old kitten's wet testicle fur? If you succeeded, please tell me how to do it!
So, we know that water is unpleasant to fleas, but it's not the entire cure for getting rid of them.
Bathing a cat is one of the recommended steps in fighting fleas, BUT you need to use the cat-safe soap recommended to eradicate them.
It is Dawn (TM) brand blue dishwashing liquid.
There Are Degrees Of Feline Water Tolerance
From the cats I have known, there are differences in how much water each will tolerate on its body. Some think you are skinning them alive. That is why the human "bath administrator" should wear a long-sleeved shirt; it mitigates all the claw scratches as the poor little feline tries to save itself.
I've seen videos of some cats that actually like baths and swimming for fun in the tub or kiddie pool. Maybe these are show cats? I have not yet met any cats from this group.
I am fortunate to have two wonderful cats who are middle-of-the-road in water tolerance. They like to hop into the bathtub to sip water drizzling from the water-pik style showerhead or from the tub faucet. So, to them, the tub is a playground if it is not filled with water. That helps when it is time for a flea-treatment bath.
Equipment And Supplies For Each Cat's Bath
From the cat bathing trenches, this is what works.
For the human:
A long-sleeved shirt and long pants which are okay getting wet (because they will!)
For the cat:
Dawn dishwashing liquid
1 washcloth or rag
2 full-sized bath towels
Bathroom with a door which fastens shut
Shower or tub with running water
More On Equipment
I found the shower nozzle on a hose to be EXTREMELY helpful in making the job easier. I direct the water spray on to a back or belly without getting the cat's eyes.
However, you have whatever you have.
If you don't have a shower nozzle on a hose, use a washcloth to drizzle the water on your cat.
Also, you may consider this to be part of equipment: a separate warm room for the second stage of drying - basically a place for the wet little raggamuffin of a cat to go to continue shaking and licking himself.
NEVER: This warning is in all the literature on cat care - Never use a blow dryer on a cat. We humans cannot gauge the hotness and skin burns often resulted when people used them. So, as Taylor Swift would say: never, ever, ever, ever use an electric blow dryer in the cat bathing process.
Blue Dawn Detergent
Cat Bathing Procedure
1. Assemble all equipment.
2. Lock yourself and the kitty in the bathroom.
3. Lightly wet the washcloth and put 2 or more drops of Dawn on it.
4. Turn the shower water on at a very low volume and adjust the temperature to be lukewarm.
5. Tell your cat that you love him/her. Also tell the kitty that YOU are the Alpha Animal of the household. :-)
6. Pick up the washcloth and then firmly grab your cat and dab at his forehead, cheeks, inside the ears and neck. You do these areas first to make a barrier of water for the fleas. They will run away from the water. By doing the head first, you are not pushing fleas towards your cat's eyes, nose and mouth.
7. Wet and soap up all parts of your cat, as best as you can. This may involve forcible wrestling holds and possible escape and recapture. For a few moments, as you massage the soap into the skin - your cats may even enjoy having that itching stop as someone else does the rubbing.
8. When you feel that all has been soaped, start rinsing. This is great with the hose and nozzle. Otherwise, a new, clean wet washcloth might be the best tool. Gently, run your hand down wet limbs and the tail to squeeze rinse water into the tub.
9. Scoop up your clean, wet kitty with one hand while you simultaneously sit on the closed-lid toilet or a chair and put one towel on your lap. Plop kitty into the towel and wrap him up. Then rub various parts through the towel while continuously saying "I love you." It's a trust thing.
10. When the first towel is rather well-saturated, grab the second towel to rub areas of damp fur which you uncover.
11. When the second towel is saturated, take your cat to the warm drying room so it can recover, physically and emotionally.
After Bath Drying Fluffballs
How Do Fleas Attack Indoor-Only Cats?
Although flea infestation of indoor cats is less common than for outdoor cats, it happens. Humans can carry fleas inside, just from their own travels out in the world or in their own yard. Fleas are smart and ingenious. Once they do hitch a ride inside, if there is a nice tasty "host," such as a cat or a dog, they will find it and start their dirty work of biting.
Mea culpa. I am guilty of complacency. Also, cheapness (or frugality, as some call it.) Since I knew my indoor-only cats are LESS likely to get fleas, I did not give them monthly flea treatments. Please notice the past tense of the verb. I have ordered medicine and will faithfully apply it from now on. This is an "adventure" I do not want to repeat. Perhaps others can learn from my mistake. Please let me know.
POST SCRIPT: THE MEDICINE ARRIVED THAT AFTERNOON AND I APPLIED IT IMMEDIATELY.
About The Author
Maren Morgan is a late-in-life cat person who is totally smitten with her two rescue cats.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. It is not meant to substitute for diagnosis, prognosis, treatment, prescription, or formal and individualized advice from a veterinary medical professional. Animals exhibiting signs and symptoms of distress should be seen by a veterinarian immediately.
© 2012 Maren Elizabeth Morgan
Maren Elizabeth Morgan (author) from Pennsylvania on July 19, 2014:
Johne542, good luck with your cat.
Johne542 on July 19, 2014:
Thank you for the sensible critique. Me & my neighbor were just preparing to do a little research about this. We got a grab a book from our local library but I think I learned more from this post. I am very glad to see such excellent info being shared freely out there. kkdcdcfkckdd
Joanna from Wilseyville on February 12, 2013:
Too funny Maren, I loved it! I wore welding gloves when I had to wash my cat, once. Never again, yikes! Voted up and funny!
Maren Elizabeth Morgan (author) from Pennsylvania on November 17, 2012:
Ractelbeast, thanks. This is the first time I used Dawn. I like it a lot, and your comment affirms that it is more than an old wives' tale. I will include it into my regular cat health maintenance routines. :)
Jill Spencer from United States on November 16, 2012:
What a first sentence! (And btw, the answer is no.) Voted up. (: One of your best!
ractelbeast from Missouri on November 16, 2012:
Dawn dish soap is pretty awesome. We always use it on kittens and puppies that are too young to use flea and tick shampoo or other preventative medications.