Updated date:

Are Poinsettias Poisonous to Dogs?

everything you need to know about the extent to which poinsettias are poisonous to dogs

are-poinsettias-poisonous-to-dogs

Are Poinsettias Poisonous to Dogs?

As a dog owner, you may be wondering which plants are safe around your dog and which ones are not. Poinsettias being one of the commonly used decoration plant during holidays, you may have concerns about whether they are poisonous to dogs. If that’s the case, let’s find more about poinsettias.

Are Poinsettias Poisonous to Dogs?

Yes, Poinsettias are poisonous to dogs, so you should be cautious about them. The plant has a milky white sap chemical similar to that found in detergents. When your dog consumes it in large quantities, they cause mild signs like drooling, vomiting, itchiness, swelling, and diarrhea.

If you want to know more about whether Poinsettias are poisonous to dogs, keep reading!

are-poinsettias-poisonous-to-dogs

What Happens if a Dog Eats a Poinsettia Plant?

In case your dog consumes poinsettia in large amounts, it will experience mild signs of diarrhea, vomiting, repeatedly licking its lip, watering and itchy eye, drooling, and petting at face and eyes.

In addition, the dog will also experience irritation around the skin, face, nose, and lips if the white milky sap from poinsettia comes into contact with the dog's skin. Poinsettia has minimal toxicity when ingested. This means you can use it to decorate your house during holidays with caution.

Which Part of the Poinsettia Plant is Poisonous to Dogs?

The entire poinsettia plant is toxic to dogs when consumed in large quantities. If your dog has mild symptoms of itchiness, irritation on the skin, face, and digestive tract, it may result from chemicals and milk saps from poinsettia’s stems and leaves.

What Do You Do if Your Dog Eats Poinsettia Leaves?

While giving your dog medical attention after ingesting poinsettia leaves is rarely crucial, it is worth contacting your veterinarian about the dog's symptoms.

Poinsettia treatment depends on the toxicity of poinsettia your dog has. Even though poinsettia is believed to be fatal, there are no cases reported of dogs dying from consuming poinsettia plants.

In most cases, the dog will handle poinsettia's toxicity on its own through excretion, but it’s better to be safe and take precautions than to be sorry. Here are some treatments your veterinary will administer:

  • Emesis

Inducing vomiting will help your dog emit harmful content from the stomach. After vomiting induction, the veterinary will also administer activated charcoal. The activated charcoal will effectively absorb phorbol esters and prevent the gastrointestinal tract and stomach from absorbing them.

  • Decontamination

The chemical emitted by the poinsettia plant is irritating to the dog’s skin, fur, eyes, and around the mouth area. The veterinary will decontaminate your dog and ensure every poinsettia sap has come out. They may also use a specific ointment to calm the sap’s histamines.

  • Intravenous Fluids

If your dog experience severe diarrhea and vomiting, the vet will give it an intravenous fluid to hydrated it. The IV fluids enhance the dog's kidney functionality, urination and stabilize enzymes and proteins.

  • Monitoring

After the other procedures, the veterinary will be able to ascertain whether your dog needs further monitoring. The veterinary will also give the dog a dosage of antihistamine to help it recover tremendously. You may continue giving the dog until it stabilizes.

Depending on the severity of poinsettia on your dog, the vet will also advise you on precaution measures to take when handling your dog and poinsettia plants in your house.

Ensure you keep all decorative plants, including the poinsettia plant, out of the dog's reach. If toxic food and other decoration plants are present in your house, do not leave the dog on its own.

Why is Poinsettia Bad for Dogs?

Poinsettia is bad for dogs because it can make the dog sick. However, the toxicity level of the poinsettia plant to your dog is moderate.

This means poinsettia's fatality is improbable. The severity of poinsettia on your dog depends on how much the dog has consumed, the dog's weight, and health-related issues.

Poinsettia is considered toxic to dogs because they have saponins and chemicals that irritate your dog.

How Do I Stop My Dog from Eating My Plants?

While it is normal for dogs to eat plants and grass from time to time, it can be hazardous for your dog to consume some garden plants.

If your dog eats plants often, you may need to keep an eye on them and adjust your home décor or redesigning to keep the plants out of your dog's reach. You may also need to engage your dog in a behavior reform program to eliminate the plant-eating behavior.

Final Thoughts

As a dog owner, taking extra caution to what your dog consumes is essential. Dog owners need to know what hazards their dogs are exposed to throughout their lives.

Related Articles