Lori Devoti is a professional writer and half-owner of an opinionated Appaloosa mare. She spends more time at the barn than at home.
Why Desensitize Your Horse?
Horses are big, like really big, and you, human, are small. There is no quicker way to have this driven home than to find yourself in a situation where you need to calm a spooky horse.
And if you own a sensitive horse, you know that there are any number of things these animals may find terrifying... a flag flapping, an unexpected touch... or horror of all horrors, a plastic bag floating across the ground like some disembodied ghost intent on devouring every equine in existence.
Seriously... faced with those terrors, how can you not expect your horse to run?
But there we are, all small and demanding and, yes, expecting that Old Glory can wave, and that plastic bag can tumble, and our horse will stand strong and brave against it all.
And they can... if we prepare them.
But how exactly do we go about doing that? And what tools are safe to use to desensitize your horse?
The Ribbon Wand was born from both love of a horse and a need to help that horse relax. When Brenda Schillinger, owner of Raven’s Equine Products LLC, adopted her Percheron-cross Raven, she knew Raven had had a rough start. She also knew that while Raven was afraid of many seemingly small things, Raven was an intelligent mare worth the extra time and care that would be required to make them a happy duo.
And so began their journey together and the need for a tool to help them along the way.
Brenda wanted something safe and gentle. She didn't want to stress Raven out more by accidentally hitting her too hard or even striking her in the eye with a rope or some other existing tool. And she wanted something fun to use and pretty to look at.
The Ribbon Wand delivers on all counts.
...One of the greatest tools I have found to desensitize a horse.
— TJ Clibborn, A True Partnership
Key Benefits of Using The Ribbon Wand to Desensitize Your Horse
- Allows you to keep your distance. With other tools for desensitizing your horse, you have to get within arm's reach with the item to actually place it on your animal. The Ribbon Wand extends your reach by over four feet.
- Helps keep the horse in a trainable state of mind. When desensitizing your horse, you want him to be able to focus on things besides the item that scares him. You want him to be able to focus on you. With The Ribbon Wand's light touch you can keep the intensity light as well when you need to.
- Allows you to easily adjust the duration of exposure. With a flick of your wrist, you can move The Ribbon Wand on and back off your horse, or you can slowly let the ribbons drag down his back. It's really up to you.
What Others Say About The Ribbon Wand
Professional horse trainer and owner of A True Partnership, TJ Clibborn recommends The Ribbon Wand because “the ribbons die the minute they touch the horse.” According to Clibborn, this alleviates the threat that the horse feels, allowing the animal to calm quickly. Clibborn also uses the tool to help desensitize horses to movement, by waving the colorful ribbons around the horses with no fear of the ribbons causing any damage to the animals. He says The Ribbon Wand is “one of the greatest tools I have found to desensitize a horse.”
Horse owner, Mary Hougan is a fan as well. She has been using The Ribbon Wand on her paint, Boaz. “What a cool training aid! Very well made & reasonably priced! Boaz loves to play!”
The Ribbon Wand is made in Wisconsin and available to be shipped worldwide. For more information or to order The Ribbon Wand, visit Raven’s Equine Products, LLC at https://www.repllc18.com/.
6 Reasons to Use The Ribbon Wand
- It's a fast and gentle way to introduce your horse to being touched.
- It helps the horse get used to something flapping around him.
- It can be wrapped around your horse's neck and used to catch him.
- It allows you to get to the horse's head if he is head-shy.
- It's a gentle tool to wrap around his belly and legs, or to run down his back.
- It's made in the USA.
© 2018 Lori Devoti