I like to share information about wildlife, animals, and pets—dogs in particular.
The Pomeranian is a small dog from the toy category of dogs, native to the Pomerania region in northwest Poland and northwest Germany. It's a spitz-type dog from the powerful, wolfish Spitz-type dogs of the Arctic, and the breed inherited agility, determination, and willpower from its ancestors. The Pomeranian is also called "the little dog who thinks he can" by some.
1. How Popular is the Pomeranian dog breed?
Pomeranians are one among the most popular dog breeds in the world, The Pomeranians quickly became popular in Great Britain after Queen Victoria fell in love with a Pom while vacationing in Italy.
- Pomeranians were ranked consistently in the top 15 of registered A.K.C. dog breeds over the last 10 years. But in the year 2021, his popularity has decreased a bit, and they are ranked 24th most popular dog breed in the USA.
- AKC (American Kennel Club), ranked them one of the world's most popular toy breeds, in the year 2021.
- Pomeranians are also the most popular dogs in the UK, in the popularity ranking of a total of 240 breeds of dogs in 2021, they were ranked 14th.
- In the late 19s, Pomeranians were the fashion icon in Italy and the first choice of girls there.
2. What are the other names of Pomeranian?
Pomeranians are also known with other names,
- Deutscher Spitz
- Dwarf Spitz
- And nicknames - Pom Dog, Pom-Pom, Pom, Zwers, Tumbleweed
3. What are the breed standards of Pomeranian dogs?
Pomeranians are small sized fluffy dogs from the toy group of dogs, recognized since the 18th century, recognized as a breed by the AKC in 1888. The breed standard for their height and coats and color is set by AKC and major kennels.
3 to 7 pounds
12 to 14 pounds
7 to 12 inches
12 to 14 inches
Thick double-coat of fur
A short undercoat and a long, fluffy outer coat
Available in multiple colors, no color reestriction for breed acceptance
Most common colors are White, Black, Red, Blue, Cream, Grey-shaded, Tan, Orange, Brown
2 to 3
12 to 16 years
4. What are the different types of Pomeranian, according to facial features and appearance?
Pomeranians are classified into three types based on their facial features and appearance, Although these three types of Poms are quite popular, but AKC or any other major kennel does not accept them as separate types of Pomeranians.
Pomeranian org. does not accept three different face types - according to them, all Pomeranians have the same face. Only because of their color size and makeup, there is a difference in their face, which some breeders promote as a different type.
Types Based on Facial Features and Appearance
- Fox Face Pomeranian
- Teddy Bear Pomeranian
- Baby Doll Pomeranian
- Fox Face Pomeranian
The Fox faces Pomeranian is, a red or red-white colored Pomeranian that has a face or a head which resembles a fox. Normally Standard or Throwback Pomeranians are kept in this category.
- Teddy Bear Pomeranian
Small sized (miniature and standard) Pomeranians whose fur gives their faces the look of teddy bear type, are called teddy bear poms.
- Baby Doll Pomeranian
Pomeranian breeders and salespeople use this name to represent top quality Pomeranians, but not an officially recognized type. Pomeranians who look like baby dolls, salespeople address them as baby doll Pomeranians, like Teddy Bear Pomeranians, they don't have a separate standard set.
5. What are the different types of Pomeranian, according to Size and Weight?
Pomeranians are classified into three types based on their size and weight, Although these three types of Pomeranians are quite popular, but AKC or any other major kennel does not accept them as separate types of Pomeranians.
Types Based on Size and Weight
- Miniature Pomeranian
- Standard Pomeranian
- Throwback Pomeranian
6.Does the AKC recognize different types of Pomeranians?
According to the American Kennel Club (AKC), there are no separate sizes or types of Pomeranians. Only the standard Pomeranian is accepted as a pure breed.
7. What is the cost of purebred Pomeranian puppy?
The cost of each breed of dog varies from country to country, and depends on other factors such as the puppy's health, availability, coat and color, bloodline, male/female, etc. On average, the cost of a pure breed Pomeranian puppy with paper range from
- USA : $500 to $1500 (Average $7/800)
- Canada : $800 to $2000, up-to 6000 (Average $1000)
- UK : $500 to $1500 (Average $800)
- France : $600 to 1500, up-to $10000 for a certified champion bloodline (Average $800)
- Germany : $400 to 1500 (Average $500)
- Singapore : $400 to 1500 (Average $500)
- India : $40 to $100 (Average $55)
8. Are Pomeranians good for first time owners?
Pomeranians are good pets for first-time dog owners because they are small- sized dogs, which do not require a lot of exercise and outdoor activities, they can stay happy and healthy with 2 outdoor walks of 15 to 20 minutes a day. Pomeranians are not stubborn by nature and easy to train, they are active, energetic and affectionate dog that loves to be around family. A well trained and socialized Pomeranians make a perfect family pet.
9. Are Pomeranians good with kids and other pets?
Poms with kids and strangers
Pomeranians are smart, active, energetic, loyal, devoted and and confident dogs, which are affectionate with their family. Pomeranians are friendly and affectionate with children, but Pomeranians tend to be attention-seeking and a bit jealous. And there are some such examples that, if they do not get attention, then they snatch or growl at the children. But a well trained Pomeranian gets along well with kids but usually they are reserved with strangers.
Poms with other pets and dogs
Pomeranians generally get along well with other pets and dogs, but any toy breed should be left under supervision with large dogs, as they can easily injure them.
And normally they have no trouble getting along with other pets, But Poms want the full attention of their family and owners, and despite their small size, they are a bold and independent dog that thinks he is alpha. So, if they feel that they are not getting full attention because of another pet, then they may reflect aggressiveness.
10. Are Pomeranians easy to train?
Pomeranians are very intelligent, active, and keen to learn, which are generally easy to train. They are attention seeking dogs, which are always keen to get the attention of their family and owners and learn quickly in an attempt to please them. But they are independent and superior thinking dogs that can be willful, so they should be trained at an early age.
11. Are Pomeranians good for apartments?
Pomeranians are one among the best dogs to live in apartments.
They are small sized dogs that do not require a backyard, they can live happily in apartments and outdoor walks of 15-30 minutes daily is sufficient for them. They are independent, playful, active and intelligent dogs that fit into almost any routine with no extra effort required. But if there are small children in the house, then they should be well trained and socialized.
12. What is the bite force of Pomeranians?
Due to the small size and cute face of the Pomeranian, people are often mistaken to guess their bite power correctly. While their bite force is quite strong in proportion to their body size.
|Dog's Bite Force Comparison|
Appx. 328 PSI
Pit Bull Terrier
240 to 330 PSI
238 to 291 PSI
Appx. 238 PSI
Appx. 230 PSI
13. Are Pomeranians hypoallergenic?
Pomeranian is a fluffy dog that has very soft, dense and plush hairs that shed much less than other dogs, but it sheds all over the year and Pomeranians are not hypoallergenic.
14. Do Pomeranians shed a lot?
Pomeranian is a hairy dog that has medium double coated fur, the outer coats have long and slightly harsh hairs, and undercoats, are fluffy dense and thick around the shoulders, neck and chest. Although the Pomeranian is a hairy and fluffy dog, but their outer-coat protects the fur of their under-coat, and that not shed much and Pomeranians are not heavy shedders.
15. Are Pomeranians well suited to living in both cold and hot weather?
Pomeranians are hairy dogs of cold climate origin that are well suited to live in colder climates, who can live in apartments even in hot climates, but are not suitable for outdoor living in hot climates.
16. Do Pomeranians howl and drool?
All dogs drool and howl, which is their natural behavior, which can be more or less frequent in different breeds of dogs, such as Husky, Alaskan Malamute, and wolf dogs howl more than others.
Do Pomeranians drool more than other dogs?
Pomeranians drool less than other dogs, but sometimes it can be more than usual, such as an older dog, or if they have a problem with their teeth or gums they drool more than other dogs of the same breed.
Do Pomeranians howl more than other dogs?
Almost all the dogs from toy group that are smaller in size, do less howl than many other dogs. Pomeranians also howl less than other dogs, they seldom howl, such as when its sense of danger, or in reaction to a particular sound, and if another dog is howling nearby but these are situational howl.
17. How much exercise do Poms need daily?
The Pomeranian is an energetic dog that is active all the time, just like any other toy size dog, it will be happy if it gets freedom to play at home, and outdoor walks of 15-20 minutes twice in a day is sufficient for them.
18. Do Pomeranians bark a lot?
Yes, Pomeranian barks more than average.
It is an active, energetic, and protective dog that reacts immediately upon observing even the slightest suspenseful activity. They need bark training and socialization from an early age.
19. Does a short-haired Pomeranian exist?
Short-haired Pomeranians do not exist.
Pomeranians are known for their fluffy coats, they have double layer coats with a dense undercoat and long outer layer. Some Pomeranians can have the short fur, It may be due to the following reasons,
- They are young and still growing, the Pomeranian's fur grows to the age of 14 months.
- They have any disease related to stomach or skin, then their hair falls rapidly.
- The shine and length of a pom's coat depends on their lifestyle, health, and grooming.
- If any of these problems occur, their fur will not be healthy and will grow less than other dogs of same breed.
20. Do crossbred or mixed breed Pomeranians are healthier and make good pets?
Crossbreeds of any breed are believed to be healthier than their parent breeds, but there is no evidence of this. So it is possible that the crossbreed of Pomeranian is also healthier than Pomeranian.
But it is difficult to predict the characteristics of any cross breed or mixed breed, generally they are different from both their parent breeds. And it also depends, in the parent of mixed breed, which breed is other than Pomeranian. So it's difficult to predict if that can make a good pet.
21. What are the common health problems in Pomeranians?
Pomeranians are healthy dogs with generally low health concerns. They mainly suffer with these four diseases,
- Tracheal Collapse
- Patellar Luxation
- Eye Problems
- Skin and coat problems
Apart from these, there are some other diseases, due to which they can suffer.
- Collapsed trachea
- Patella luxation
- Reverse sneezing
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2022 Aaradhya